Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  12:17:48 PM  Show Profile
After reading Kris' reply on Alee's tomato question I thought I would take a survey of how my seeds did from wintersown.

Variety # sprouted of # planted
Coldset 3 of 6
Rutgers 4 of 6
Moskvich 3 of 6
Fireball 4 of 6
Arbuus 3 of 6
Beefsteak 3 of 6
Miracle of the Market 5 of 6
Campbells 1327 4 of 6
Fireworks 3 of 6

I also have a variety called Tropic which a friend who used to own/operate 3 large greenhouses had. He gave us a couple of HUGE tomatoes last year of this variety. We ate the tomatoes, very yummy, but of course I saved some of the seed.
Out of the Tropic variety(open pollunated) I got 18 of 24 to sprout and I didn't even save the seed properly, I just put it on a flat surface to dry then I forgot about it. It wasn't even stored in anything, left out in the air all winter.
Oh, and I don't have a greenhouse, I planted in ponies(6 holed black plastic seed holders) and started them in the house and used rain water to water with.
I will be saving seed from all the fruit/veggies we get this year so I'll be able to trade seeds this fall/winter to expand my varieties.

How have your seeds done? Do you use a greenhouse or hotbox?
I'd love to learn from your experiences what's working and what isn't.

I'm planting God's garden and praying for a bountiful harvest.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  8:52:35 PM  Show Profile
I only had about five out of 24 of my home saved Brandywine seed fail to germinate,the rest came up just fine and made healthy,stout transplants,out of the Amish Paste I had three out of 24 fail so I think the rates were pretty good.
I purchased a soil blocker this year and really love it,usually I use recycled seed flats and cell packs or cow pots to start my seeds but this year I went potless and initially I had a hard time getting the soil blocks to hold together,either by being too moist or too dry but then I got the hang of it and they worked beautifully.
I have a greenhouse but it's still propped against the garage wall,I'm still waiting for my Husband to put it up,I've been waiting since Mother's Day of 2004,oh well,someday!
So anyways,I plant and then put the flats up on top of the fridge and deep freeze for the warmth and when they germinate I pop them under flourescent lights to grow out until they can go in the garden,I didn't pot up the tomatoes because they didn't need it,they went right from the flat into the ground,I like this soil blocking thing.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  05:31:40 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to go out to the garden and write down all the info like Cindy did. How organized, goodness. I wrote on the cell packs what the were and then just put dirt in them so they wouldn't get blown away. How lazy is that? I guess I should make some pretty little garden stakes. But when there are only a few left of each kind, I don't know if I will.

But I'm off to get some "real" tomatoes, as my hubby calls them. Some man tomatoes.

Good luck with ya'lls. Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  12:09:45 PM  Show Profile
Kris, that's funny...man tomatoes.

I used popsicle sticks to write the names on them and put them in the little ponies so I could keep track just so I knew which ones I like the best for next year.

Good luck on your gardens!

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Wintersown tomato seeds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page