Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  11:34:03 AM  Show Profile
We have 3 dogs in the house and I'm up to my eyeballs in dog fur! I bought a new Eureka bagless last year and it simply can't handle the volume of hair. It has 3 filters that has to be completely cleaned out each time. I've even had to take it apart 2 times cause it was so clogged. It's just useless!! I hate it. So I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and what type of vacuum should I get. Thanks! Luzy

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  11:44:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Luzy! Girl..I gotta tell you that I LOVE my Kirby! We have 5 cats and 3 kids....I was going through a new vacuum every couple of years. We decided to spend the money and get a Kirby. You don't have to buy a new one..in fact most Kirby dealers have old ones that have been refurbished. Our first one lasted us 15 years....and i just bought a new one last year. My mother in law has had hers for 30 some years! I really swear by it....and I vacuum everyday!
OMG...I sound like a dealer...LOL I'm not.
Paula :o)

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  11:51:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Paula for your response. I remember my Grandma having just 1 Kirby...EVER! I had forgotten all about it! Thanks for the reminder. I'll look into one and see if the ol' bank account can handle it! Luzy

--
Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  1:02:12 PM  Show Profile
Your so welcome Luzy! I really understand all the pet hair thing!! i didn't start out wanting 5 cats...but of course I just had to save each of them! So I promised my kids the only way we would keep them all was if you couldn't ever tell we had them. SO...thank goodness for my vacuum and for stitcky rollers....cuz I'd never make it without either!!
Good luck on the Kirby hunt!!
Paula ;o)

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  1:05:08 PM  Show Profile
I have a Simplicity Vac. I LOVE it I have had it for about 4 years.
If I ever get another new vac it will be another Simplicity.

Simplicity Vacs

I am not impressed with the bagless models. My mom has one and it is such a pain to clean out and you never really feel like you get all the dirt out of the canister. She borrows my vac about once a month to clean "really" good in her words!!

~~My Blog~~

Bridge's Bargins~Click to see
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  9:12:00 PM  Show Profile
In the house that I was renting before moving to the farm (7 or so years ago), there was this old Royal vacuum that was metal, very "fifties" looking and worked WONDERFULLY - I had it tuned up and it ran really well - then, my friend needed a vac and I my mother had a vacuum that she said I could have, so I passed my good vac on to my sister, and guess what - my mom gave me another Royal - newer model, but same vac, and I LOVE it. We have only one dog and one cat, BUT, we do have a 2-yr-old, which has to count for at least 10 furry friends! It looks like when I need a replacement, I'll have to do a comparison with Kirby - they sound great, too.

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  9:26:21 PM  Show Profile
I hate my vacum too..and seem to replace them every couple years. And you know what? My grandma had a kirby too. Just one forever!! I wonder what happened to it when she died?? I hope someone is still using it!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  12:33:55 AM  Show Profile
I think vacuums should be against the law. I have never had one that has worked well.I am going back to wood floors and a good broom.LOL
Do I sound a little negative tonite, LOL

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  07:07:27 AM  Show Profile
WOOHOO.......I'm with Robin!! No more vacuums!! Lets just forget cleanin' all together!LOL Somedays I swear my laundry has had a eveing full of passion, cuz the next day everything has doubled!! I've not seen the laundry floor in 3 years....hhmmm.....I wonder if that's where those drapes went that I've been lookin' for? It's kinda like my craft room......OMG...you don't wanna see that! I have a path to the shelf where the fabric is and a path to the sewin' machine!! I'm Terrified to clean that cuz i know I lost the UPS guy in there...and i'll probably find that peanut butter and jelly sandwich my son lost 2 years ago!!!!! I think I need counceling...HELP!!!!LOL

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  11:38:59 AM  Show Profile
My husband uses an Orek brand vac at church (he's the janitor)and loves it.I think it weighs about 8lbs!! Very lightweight. I have a (not-so-great) Kenmore at home. Glad we mostly have wood floors, but I still have to vac the area rug and the bedrooms. I do roll up the area rug once foxtail season hits. I refuse to pick weeds out of rugs!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  4:23:47 PM  Show Profile
I have a Dyson and really like it. We have 2 dogs and 3 cats so we get alot of pet hair. The Dyson is bagless and the canister is easy to empty. It really doesn't loose suction and keeps the pet hair at a managable level. Although the "no more vacuum" thing also has my vote!

Happiness is country life!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  06:43:17 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean about vacuums. I have 2 indoor dogs and 1 indoor cat. My Lab and cat shed like crazy. I was tired of spending a couple hundred dollars every 6 months-year on the cheaper vacuums so 2 years ago I spent 800.00 on an oreck and it's been the best vacuum ever. I've also had my mom buy one because I raved about it so much. Now that was the top of the line and I only spent that much because of the warranty that came with it. Mine has a 25 year warranty that fixes anything that goes wrong with it even if I mess it up. You can buy used ones in the store or just go with a less expensive model that may only have 3-5 year warranty. I take mine in once a year and they completely clean it, change the belts, new bags, everything. I basically get a 'new' vacuum every year.

FWIW-my MIL had a Kirby and hated it but that's just one opinion. I've heard that Royal is good though too.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  06:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
We just bought a bagless Bissell and I love it. I have 2 dogs, one of which has some german shepherd in her - and they don't call 'em "german shedders" for nothing! We mostly have wood floors, so I sweep twice a day (and the amount of hair is freaky) and vaccuum once a week to gather up the stuff I can't reach with the broom and get the dust.
Go to Top of Page

Once upon a Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Ivy
Bartlett TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  07:57:13 AM  Show Profile
I have a Kirby. I despise it. I bought the Kirby 5 years ago. So it has lasted longer than a some vacs. I did pay over $1000 so maybe that is why I am still using it. It is so cumbersome. My mother laughed about using a vacuum that you have to shift gears on. Using the attachments is awkward too. We have three dogs, so we have hair pretty much everywhere. So right after I bought the "The Beast" (Kirby) I bought a small Kenmore canister for doing the stairs and all the tile floors and upholstered pieces. I have finally had enough so I am looking into an Oreck or a Dyson now. I want a vacuum that works well on carpet and hard surfaces without changing attachments. I would love to hear some more pros and cons on these vacuums. Good Luck on your quest, Luzy.
Ivy
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  08:09:46 AM  Show Profile
I've had 3 kinds of vacuum cleaners, so here's my thoughts:

Electrolux - absolutely wonderful, except the water issue becomes a pain. Unless they're different now, you put water in the body of it in a container and vacuum. Those things do a great job. If you have steps, though, and have to carry it upstairs/downstairs, you'll have to empty the water or be very careful.

Kirby -- liked it quite a bit; no problems except it broke after only about 5 years (most of that was when I had wood floors in almost every room, so it got little use), and it was going to be extremely expensive to repair

Oreck -- absolutely wonderful and better than the Kirby. We have 2 dogs and a daughter with asthma & allergies to dust mites, pollens, etc. (not allergic to dogs) so keeping the rugs really clean is important. My Oreck cleans extremely well and is light and easy to use. When this one breaks, I'll get another. I've had this one at least 8 years (the entire house is carpeted, so it gets lots of use) and it has not had one problem

This is just my experience, of course. My mom swears by her Kirby and would never go to another brand. Maybe I just got a lemon!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  1:53:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh I forgot to mention earlier that I dispise bagless vacuums and avoid them at all costs. I've had several of these and all of them aggravated my allergies so much I couldn't even empty the cup. It got to the point that my DH had to empty it and it was just a huge pain. With the Oreck vacuums, you do have to use a bag but to change it there is a little flap that covers and closes the opening in the bag so dirt is not coming back out. If allergies are not an issue then the bagless may be ok for you.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  8:11:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ivy- If you ever decide to get rid of your Kirby- I might be interested in buying it. I don't have a lot of spare cash laying around but we might be able to decide on something.

I clean houses for a living. I love the Kirbys but I was raised with them. I know the changing of the attachments is a hassle, but I love the power. I also like the Dyson brand.

I am not a fan of Orecks for anything other than light cleaning. They don't last as long a some of the heavier duty brands. There is also a commercial type vacuum that is along the same lines of Oreck but about 200X stronger namer PowrFlight or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  8:22:54 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm.....25 years of marraige and about 5 vacuums. My first one was a Kenmore canister that lasted about 2 years and then caught on fire and I threw it out into the front yard. NOT a good experience. I don't remember all the other ones, but the one I have now is a bagless Dirt Devil upright. I hate it. The hepa filters are not readily available and are expensive when ordered. The canister doesn't clean out well and with a dog in the house, this thing STINKS!
I have burned out belts on this one with my daughter's long hair winding around the beater (things have improved since she moved out).
The suction is fine, but I would love also to find a bag vacuum that will last. My mother had a Kirby that she and my dad bought from a door to door salesman right after they were married in 1932! We had it forever. It became our "downstairs" vacuum and picked up everything from pet hair to coal dust to nails. I don't know what ever happened to it but I know it was running well into the '70s when I left home.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Once upon a Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Ivy
Bartlett TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  10:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Alee, if I pick a new one out soon I will let you know. Keep in mind the shipping would be huge because it weighs a ton and all those attachments are bulky.
How heavy are Dysons compared to the Kirby? What are some of the downsides to a Dyson?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  08:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Dysons are very strong and they have various models that can fit different budgets- although I would go ahead and recommend the full version. The downside is that it is still a bagless vacuum so you need to empty the canister outside to prevent it from destroying all the hard work you just did. I also would recommend wearing a dust mask whenever you empty any vacuum- especially a canister or bagless because no matter what type of vacuum you have there is ALWAYS leakage. :)

For those who have dog hair- there is a rubber brush on a broom handle that is an As Seen on TV product. My sister ordered one and it works wonders on everything. You have to use short jerky motions on carpet for it to be effective, but on wood floors and such, you just use it as a broom. The rubber holds on to the hair better than any other type of broom I have ever seen. I am looking around to try and find one in my town before I order it off the internet.

Go to Top of Page

wildhorsemom
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Laurie
Illinois
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  1:20:57 PM  Show Profile
I have a Kirby, the BEST vacuum I have ever owned. I paid a fortune for it new, and was lucky enough to have a later windfall to pay it off. Mine also has a shampooer attachment/kit, which also is great.

But I will assure you, a Kirby vac will last forever, so to me, it's worth it. My mom had one that was fifty years old, and still worked beautifully!! (She died a couple of years ago, so I have no idea who ended up with it.) I can assure you from experience, if you can find any age Kirby second hand, you WILL be getting a great vacuum with a lot of life left in it. These are much better built-- and work better-- than any vac you could get in the store. Before this, I'd been through 4 different vacs in a 15 year period...and I ran all of them till they literally fell apart! That's $80 a pop every few years... spend the $ on a Kirby. It's worth it.

(This testimonial was in no way, shape or form solicited or paid for by the Kirby Vacuum Corp.or any of its shareholders. Honest!)

~~Laurie

Edited by - wildhorsemom on Feb 12 2006 1:24:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  3:16:11 PM  Show Profile
Alee- I have one of the rubber brooms you talked about and I love it for getting up dog hair. ( I have a Golden Retriever and a Sheltie.) I got mine at Target for $9.99. It also works well on getting the dirt up put of the cracks in my wood floors. I do have a Kirby, from 1982, that my husband picked up in a yard sale for $10. It works perfectly. Between the two, dog hair isn't much of a problem at my house anymore!
Karin
Go to Top of Page

reeselmt
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Lorice
Cocoa Beach Fl
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  7:25:50 PM  Show Profile
Oreck gets my vote. I have 2 dogs and 3 cats. It is well worth the money!

Life is Good!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  10:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like Orecks but they seem to have a short life.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  8:22:50 PM  Show Profile
I once had a couple of kirby salemen get in a huge, obscenity flinging fight on my front lawn because we didn't buy their product. It soured me a little on their product.

I have a Rikkar that I love. I've had it for... 8 years? I was still working great but I had a problem where I had patched the cord where a previous dog had chewed through and I think I fried the motor. I've been procrastinating taking it in to have it looked at because I'm afraid of what I'll hear ($$$$$$$). So I just use the Kenmore which works pretty well and I have 4 indoor only cats and two dogs (I think Jack might have some German Shedder in him too).

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  06:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Well Friends I have to update you on my quest for a new vacuum! Last weekend I found a Fantom (almost new) for forty bucks at a flea market. It was missing the attachments, but mine work fine from my other THREE + vacuums!! I was a little leary of the Fantom, cause its bagless. So far it's wonderful!! I'm so happy with it. It's alot more powerful than my old ones,so maybe that's what I needed for all the dog hair. I'll still keep an eye out for another one for downstairs tho, like a Kirby or Royal, etc. So just wanted to thank you all for your input on the different types and brands. I really appreciate all the help. You guys rock!! Luzy

--
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Anyone know of a GOOD vacuum? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page