Printer Friendly
Author Outpost: Previous Topic Black panther mystery solved Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  8:07:26 PM  Show Profile
At least, I think it is. Here in southern Illinois, I've heard rumors since I was wee high that there are black panthers in the woods around here. I know people who have sworn they've seen one. I have my doubts. Not too long ago, I was driving down a country road and caught a glimpse of something black disappearing into the woods. It wasn't a black panther, but I'm pretty sure it was a mink. There are some around here. So it occured to me that maybe these people have been seeing mink and mistaking them for black panthers. They move so fast that it's hard to tell just what they are.
they're also pretty rare. Anyway, I'm curious as to what other legends and myths there are about animals in your neck of the woods. Anyone live near Lake Champlain and seen "Champ" the monster who lurks under the surface? I'd love to hear about other myths and the stories behind them.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  8:30:35 PM  Show Profile
Being from the Northwest, we have Sasquatch (bigfoot) sightings, my DH works with a few guys that spend many weekends 'hunting' them. I don't know if that stuff really exists, yet conservationists and scientists do discover new species from time to time. There is so much of this world that has yet to be fully explored. I am assuming they had panthers in your region at one time right?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  9:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Around these here parts we have comething called a Jackalope- Part jack rabbit and part antelope. Yup! We even have a stuffed one up at the cabin!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  9:58:46 PM  Show Profile
are jackalopes real? i always thought they were fictious?

up in maryland we had goatman and here in south carolina lizardman.

ive watched a few shows on large cats in england i think. apartently people have sighted what appears to be black panthers all over the place but they dont reside there.

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  10:43:36 PM  Show Profile
When I lived in spiro Oklahoma there was the legend about the bigfoot monster that lived around the lake. Also the stories about the catfish bigger than men that would roll up against the dam in the Arkansas river.

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  11:26:38 PM  Show Profile
Alee--love the pic of the jackalope! I remember seeing them on postcards when my family went to Colorado when I was young. I even saw a postcard of a cowboy riding one--that was some bunny!
I also remember seeing movies about Sasquatch whem I was a kid--for a while, Missouri had "Mo-Mo" the monster around the Hannibal area. He was like Bigfoot, so people claimed. I've never heard of goatmen or lizardmen--are there goatladies and lizardladies as well? Sounds like something from a Stephan King book.
Merry--river catfish can get pretty big--there have been some 100+ pounders caught in the Mississippi around here. I personally know someone who caught one that was about five feet long--he took a picture of his wife laying on the table next to it and they were the same length.
And yes, there used to be cougars in this area long ago. When Columbus discovered America, there were even jaguars here at the time. One animal that inhabits this region that I've yet to see is the badger. There have been a few cougars documented in the area of the Shawnee National Forest, but no one hwas ever documented seeing a black panther. I met a woman once who swore her husband had a picture of one, but when i asked if I could see it, she kept making excuses. So no, I don't believe i the sightings of black panthers. But it's fun to read about regional creatures and monsters from around the country.
Isn't there some kind of vampire-like creature that sucks the blood out of its victims in the Texas area? It has a Spanish name but I can't remember it.
And if you ever go out West, watch out for them jackalopes!
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  11:33:35 PM  Show Profile
I don't think we have sightings like that here. At least not that I know of. OH wait, I do remember a few years ago people thought they saw a tiger (!!) in our valleys somewhere. Turned out to be a big cat, lol. A very big one but still way smaller than a tiger :) It had been on the news for a long time, all kinds of pictures etc.
I think that was the only time.

NO Bigfoot, no monster of Loch Ness, no nothing, B O R I N G , lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  03:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Karen- no they are just fictitious, but we do have jackalope days and Douglas, WY sells Jackalope hunting licenses. Jackalope season is only open on one day- June 31st :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  04:30:51 AM  Show Profile
LOL about the Jackalopes and having a hunting season for them!

People say that we have black panthers here in Alabama, too. Most people either claim to have seen the tail disappear into the underbrush on the side of the road or to have heard it's woman-like screams.

I regularly see dead coyotes on the side of the road and I have seen live ones on occasion, too.

In South Alabama they still have black bears, which is shocking to me. I saw a sign down there warning of black bears and I thought that it was a joke. But no, some of my own family members have had run-ins with them. Nothing serious, but they did see them.

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  06:53:04 AM  Show Profile
Prairehawk, your thinking of a chupacabra, the goat sucker. People have claimed to see its red eyes in the south and in Central/South America. I watch the discovery channel:)

Alee I didn't know Douglas had a jackalope festival, I have only been there in August though, but that would have been fun.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  10:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes- it is fun- very tongue-in-cheek type humor :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  11:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Cindy. I'm in southwestern Indiana and I've heard stories about panthers too. They are supposedly in the mine grounds up around Lynnville, IN. I have never seen one and well just a little too chicken to go hunt one up. But I believe many, many years ago there were panthers in our areas. There were also bobcat around here. And in the last couple of years we have had confirmed sightings of bobcat. I've also heard tell that there is a mountain lion prowling around the outskirts of Tell City, IN. Lots of big cat stories in IN. LOL

Melanie

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  4:49:12 PM  Show Profile
Nikki, my daddy swears he heard a panther scream the one-and-only time he ever went coon hunting! He said it did sound like a woman screaming. And we've had coyotes in our yard before. We'd been hearing them in the hollar behind the house and each night they sounded closer and closer. The hubs and I decided to go investigate one night sans a shotgun. They'd start up yipping then stop for a few minutes and when they'd start up again, they sounded closer and closer. So the hubs decided it was time to go get the gun. (FINALLY!) I wanted to see one but not bad enough to risk getting attacked! We have a well-house and I was in front of it and the hubs was on one side of it. We thought we saw one slinking at the edge of the woods line and he had his gun trained on it. Something caught the corner of my eye and I looked beside me and there stood one as big as you please not 20 feet away! It was staring at me and I was staring at it and trying frantically to get the hubs attention! I kept making these little "psssstttt!!!!!!" noises and finally the hubs shushed me because the one we thought we saw at the edge of the woods was walking across the yard towards him. Finally I broke eye contact, that crazy coyote staring me down, and said Brian's name and he turned and saw it and then it ran back towards the woods! The other took off after it. It took us a moment to realize that the two of them had been CIRCLING us!!! Oh. My. Goodness. Let me tell ya, that was a moment.

And Melanie, we sometimes spot bobcats crossing our property, too.

And bigfoot has been "sighted" by campers and hunters about 5 miles as the crow flies from our house. There's a website dedicated just to bigfoot sightings and you can pick a spot on the map and read the story about it.

I'm with Chelsea, something new is discovered every day. How silly and presumptuous of us to think that we could possibly know of ALL God's great creations!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  3:49:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee, i was really starting to wonder. I swear im not that stupid usually.

Karen ^_^

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  6:07:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You aren't stupid! My parents had me convinced they were real for years!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  4:53:34 PM  Show Profile
aww. makes you feel any better my father had a deer head mounted on the wall under our stairs...my brothers use to tell me the rest of the deer was in the closet behind the wall. when i would look they would lock me in. i fell for it several times. family is so much fun.

Karen ^_^

Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  03:46:40 AM  Show Profile
Karen, THAT is so funny! I love the understated way that you said "i fell for it several times." Aren't brothers the best?

Cherry, my father-in-law also said that he knew of people who swore they had seen black panthers. It is always the older folks who have had experience with them which makes me think that "yes" they were here and maybe still are.

Scary about being actually stalked by coyotes! I've never, ever been that close! Yikes! Lovin' Man saw one just two days ago crossing a four-lane highway just before sunrise, then the next day he saw it at the exact same place, only this time it had been flattened into a pancake. Sad.

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Black panther mystery solved Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page