Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Salad table--it's producing! Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  7:53:00 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I had a salad tonight from the salad table that i made after seeing it in MJF. I had baby Romaine lettuce and mixed greens. I'd almost forgotten how good fresh-picked lettuce is. i made a dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and honey. My spinach isn't doing quite so well so I moved the table to another spot in the yard. How are the rest of you who made a salad table doing with it? I'm also trying to grow peppers (started them indoors) to go with my salads. It's so rewarding to come home after a long day at work and eat something that you grew yourself. I'd love to hear from others with a salad table.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  8:36:32 PM  Show Profile
Hey Cindy-

Glad to hear someone has built one and is having such quick results! I haven't built mine yet but have the materials and hope to get it built and filled this week. Rabbits keep getting my Red Malibar spinach and my lettuces so I need to get them off the ground!

How deep did you go and are you doing tomatoes?? I'd like to do a couple cherry tomatoe plants and some beets for greens as well as carrots and spinach. Is yours in full sun? I'm concerned that I won't keep it well watered once summer comes. We get awfully dry here, so I'll have to be practically tripping over it to remember to water it!

I'll let you know how mine is doing as soon as I have it up and going!

carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

Edited by - Carrie W on May 16 2009 8:37:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  10:23:17 PM  Show Profile
Carrie--I used drawers that were about ten inches deep, eight of which are the peat moss/compost mix. I haven't tried growing tomatoes in them--I'm kinda afraid to even try growing tomatoes--you almost have to have a gift for them. I do have some peppers which haven't sprouted yet that I'm starting indoors. When they get big enough, I'll plant them in the remaining drawer that I have. My salad table is in the sun/shade depending on the time of day. Watering hasn't been a problem--we've had lots of rain here recently. Are you making yours from scratch? The only problem I've had with it was when we had a hail storm--the hail flattened everything but it's since recovered nicely. I moved it just the other day cause I was worried a dead branch in my oak tree might fall on it. I don't know why the spinach isn't doing as well as the lettuce--kind of disappointing cause I love fresh spinach. When it is dry here, I check it twice a day to see if it needs watering. As long as it's not in full sun it should be OK. I've had plants dry up and burn when it gets too hot here (in Illinois). We've been cooler than usual for May, so that helps. Good luck with your salad table--tell them rabbits they have to find somewhere else to dine!
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Salad table--it's producing! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page