Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Anyone Taken Master Gardener Program?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Anyone Taken Master Gardener Program? Next Topic  

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  1:46:41 PM  Show Profile
I am so happy I was accepted into our State Master Gardener program! It starts in January and has some wonderful things it will be teaching and then I will volunteer hours! This will be a big help to me.
If you have taken the program, please let me know what you learned from it and how involved and fun it was!
Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  2:55:53 PM  Show Profile
How do you find out about a master gardener program?

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  10:10:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cecily - Just use a search engine like Google.com and look up Master Gardener program and the name of your county, that should find it for you. If you like send me the name of your town,county and state and I will find it for you.

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  3:31:18 PM  Show Profile
I would love to do this, but in our county the classes are during the day. Not worker girl friendly.

Cecily - in our county the program falls under the Farm Advisor/Cooperative Extension Office
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  3:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I have taken the MG classes, got my certification in 2007. I think the experience depends on where you take it. Some counties are very active with it and in some counties it's more of an after thought. I took a beekeeping class the same time and frankly, I thought the beekeeping class was much more interesting. While there were some really great profs that lectured to us, a lot of the info is just basic gardening knowledge. If you've gardened at all and/or done a lot of gardening reading, it will be stuff you all ready know. My experience was that basically they taught you how to look things up and to make sure you never said ANYTHING the sponsoring land grant university did not agree with. You will, however meet some very interesting people who are very knowlegable through the program.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Dec 19 2008 3:40:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  06:44:54 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I know what you mean about the hours - here they are two days a week from 9-12. Lots of topics and great speakers and some active classes in propagation etc. I am looking forward to garnering some knowledge. I know when we are done we volunteer time on the phone lines and that is great. I am also glad that they will make use of my writing skills in our local paper. I do believe here in my county they are pretty active.
Beekeeping sounds so exciting - I wonder if we will learn about that. Did you really handle the bees and get involved with them?
Did you have to pay a materials fee for any of your Master Gardeners classes. I had to pay a $200 fee for materials.

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  09:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
The bee keeping was a different class offered through the Washington State University Extension. It was awesome. I don't have my own bees right now as I live like a few feet from chemically fertilized farmground, not to mention the pesticides and other chemicals that abound in this area. Bees are very chemical sensitive. We have 20 acres in Idaho, just 22 miles from where we live now and we hope to be moved there in two years. Then I will have my own bee hives. I'm pretty excited about it.
Our fee for the MG class was only 50 or 60 dollars and after we got our volunteer time done we got our money back. You have to take so many contiuing education classes every year to maintain your certification. Here you get to pick and choose from a curriculm and they are about 5 bucks a class. Really a lot of bang for your buck, as far as educational dollars go.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2008 :  7:13:40 PM  Show Profile
thanks so much for the info!!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  8:33:20 PM  Show Profile
I just finished the Colorado Master Gardener program here in La Plata County, it was an amazing class, fun to meet so many gardeners. After the class I started to realize that we barely scratched the surface in those 12 weeks, but I'm definitely more confident. Now to do the 50 hours of volunteer work!
Cherian
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  06:16:36 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Cherian! I would love to become a master gardener. I volunteer garden at the Morton Arboretum and last year put in 116 hours, so the volunteer work part would be easy for me. I'll look at the IL program and see when they will be doing it again.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  09:53:20 AM  Show Profile
I did my first year volunteering with the Master Gardener program here in Ohio last year, learned a HUGE amount about gardening. The Extension office in my county had the classes during the day, so I was on the waiting list for a night class for several years, then the next county over offered classes at night and weekends. It has been a fantastic experience.

This year we are sponsoring a community garden at the local OSU-owned demonstration farm. We've had over 50 people sign up for plots, the timing of offering the community gardens seemed to coincide with the recession and renewed interest in victory gardens, etc. so there's lots more opportunity for learning and for volunteer hours.

I highly recommend the program. Dawn, one caution, here in Ohio the bulk of your volunteer hours need to be with the Extension office that sponsors you, they accept a percentage of hours with other organizations towards the total, ut most need to be within their own program. This wasn't a problem for me, but it could be if you are committed to the other organization...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Anyone Taken Master Gardener Program? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page