abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  08:46:23 AM  Show Profile
I can't even believe it but my sister sent me her singer serger. Isn't she a wonderful sissy? I'm so thankful and excited. I've never had one before or used one before and am a little nervous. I was wondering if any of you farmgirls had an idea or two for an EASY beginning project. I have to admit I feel a bit intimidated. I've only been sewing for about 3-4 years.

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  08:55:50 AM  Show Profile
I am so happy for you!!! And a wee bit green with envy. You have a great sis. Let me know how it goes. I am saving up for one.

Blessings,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  09:08:38 AM  Show Profile
Abigail, That was so nice if your sister! I have a Singer serger also and I love it! Don't be intimidated! One of the biggest things to sewing well with it is to make sure your tension dials are set correctly! It make all the difference in the world! I would start with something simple like maybe a throw pillow! When I first got mine, I could not use it well at all and then I got the hang of it and now I don't know what I would do without it! Have fun!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  09:35:47 AM  Show Profile
I have one. I have a White. It has been sitting in its box for two years. This month, I am going to get to it!! Enough already, lol. Yes, I am intimdated by it, but I think that it is time that I got over it.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  09:39:59 AM  Show Profile
Just remember that you can't pull the thread like on a sewing machine. You must feed the thread with the foot pedal. Make sure any pins are well away from the sewing edge because if you should accidently hit one it could nick the knife. Balanced thread tensions are the biggest thing with a serger - study the manual so you know what the edge should look like when the threads are balanced. If you have any questions along the way I will try to help if I can. Most of all, have fun!!

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  08:43:10 AM  Show Profile
Believe me- my Sissy is the best! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's intimidated, Marcelina. I know when I just force myself to try it out I'm going to love it. I'm going to go to the library to find a couple books. I remember that one of the crafting shows on PBS did an entire series with the Serger and it was really neat. I think the hosts name is Sue Johanson??? Anyways, they even made a decorative lacy edging with thier serger using water soluble stabilizer. They had quite a few tips. I'm going to try to google it later. I've been bummed because I haven't been able to try it out yet-been so busy with my kids. My son has two projects due and having problems with his Pre Algebra (eeek! which is not my thing)I've been working on my computer, it had crashed. My honey got it running last night. Today I have to catch up the garden and I'm hoping tomorrow I can get on the Serger (big grin on my face)Thanks for all the encouragement , you ladies. That's why I enjoy this forum- you get nothing but kindness and encouragement from the ladies here. Have a great day.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  3:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
One of the easiest projects is a pillowcase. Three pieces of fabric and two seams is all it takes.

Here is one of the free pattern links.

http://www.logcabinquilts.com/freepattern.html

Linda O

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I got a Serger! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page