Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Close encounters of the owl kind
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Close encounters of the owl kind Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  9:17:05 PM  Show Profile
I rescued an owl tonight--I was driving home and came across a man and a woman and a motorcycle by the side of the road. A barred owl was sitting, looking very dazed, in the road. They were diverting traffic around it. I pulled over and looked in my trunk. I had a good sized cardboard box and some old blankets, so I tossed a blanket over Mr. Owl and put him in the box. Then I put the box in my trunk. I had to drive pass a wildlife refuge on the way home, so I stopped there, but it was late, and no one was there. So I drove on home with the owl in my trunk. Last night, at our Sierra Club meeting, we had two speakers from the wildlife refuge, and I remembered they mentioned that the vet who treated the wild animals was on staff at a local animal hospital. so I called the hospital and there was a woman on staff who was also a volunteer at the wildlife refuge. So I drove the owl there, and when I opened the trunk, there he was, his big ol' head looking all around. We covered him back up and she took him inside and got him in a cage. Now I just hope he makes it. I t was really cool to see an owl so close; for a while now, I've been crafting stuffed owls made of felt and embroidered and embellished with vintage buttons (for eyes) amd yo-yo's. I call them wols. I hope I can sell them when the local farmer's and artisan's market starts in June. I've only done a craft fair once before, so it's still all new to me. Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience with Mr. Owl. And if ya'll could say a prayer for him (i know I will)...
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  01:49:11 AM  Show Profile
How nice that you managed to save that poor owl. And I'm sure being in the trunk wrapped in a blanket was just the sort of sensory deprivation it needed, it must have been in shock . Owls are such incredible birds. We had a barred owl sitting on the telephone wire across from our driveway in the middle of the day a couple months ago. It was kind of unnerving, but still nice to see.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  08:38:39 AM  Show Profile
How wonderful, Cindy, that you were in the right place at the right time! Owls are bad to swoop down on motorcycles at night. Many moons ago, one would do that to my daddy on his way home from work on his bike. Thankfully, Daddy never hit him! I once helped a friend to untangle a barn owl that got caught in a barbed-wire fence and took it to a wildlife refuge. Amazing experience! She recovered nicely and they brought her back out to my friend's barn and released her. And another friend and I rescued a red-tailed hawk that had been hit by a car. He took it to the same wildlife refuge, but had to make a stop on a construction site on his way. He had the hawk wrapped in a towel and in a box in the passenger seat of his truck. He said when he finished his business and went to get back in his truck, the hawk was sitting on his steering wheel with it's poor little wing hanging. My friend just wrapped it back up, put it back in the box, and went on to the refuge. But he said it gave him a shock to see that hawk perched on the steering wheel!

~~Cherry~~

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  08:50:01 AM  Show Profile
The prairiehawk saves an owl. That could be a children's story! :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  09:02:14 AM  Show Profile
That's soooo interesting! I feel sorry for Mr. Owl, but I'm so glad that you were there, and willing to care for him. So many people just wouldn't give a darn. We have an owl in the back woods of my house, and though I'm fascinated by him, I really wish he wouldn't hunt bunnies in the middle of the night when I have my windows open. Terrifying sounds, all around!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Close encounters of the owl kind Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page