Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Blue Eggs and Dark Brown now
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Blue Eggs and Dark Brown now Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  1:50:27 PM  Show Profile
I just went out to see if there were any eggs and I found 3. One of them is a huge blue one! I thought that new hen was an Auracana or Amaricana, (I can't keep those 2 straight) and she is! How bout that? The other 2 are small very light brown. Yesterday there was a really small egg like one of the younger ones just laid her first egg. It's so cute. So 3 eggs in one day! It's a record so far.

And my little chicks out there with the mama hen are getting so big. They are the same age as my new Buff chicks and so much bigger. But all are still alive so far.

One of my Buff chicks died awhile ago. She was smaller and kind of had a limp. I thought about taking her out by herself, but didn't. I guess I could have put another one with her. Oh well, that's life. I hate it, but things like that happen all the time.

I hope everyone else is getting lots of eggs and that your baby chicks are thriving and all your hens are well, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on May 10 2009 8:10:20 PM

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  4:04:56 PM  Show Profile
Hooray! Aren't those colored eggs pretty? I have several Americauna chickens and I get drab green, SHINEY green, blue, and I've even had hens that laid a PINK tinted egg! I have 4 Juvinile hens as well and I can't WAIT to see what colors they'll bless me with!

TRUE Aracaunas have NO TAIL!! Not very many hatcheries raise that breed as their fertility is low-- the "no tail" gene makes it so. Or so the "Experts" believe.

I just picked up some "Mystery" chicks at the feed store yesterday. The guy working there hadn't a CLUE as to what they were (though he claimed he'd been told, but forgot). Some of the chicks were white with very tiny black speckles on their wings and a stripe on their heads. My guess (after studying the Hatchery pictures) is they are Light Brahmas. I've had those birds before and LOVED them... oh, but I think they have FEATHERED legs, but my chicks don't (???) Hmm... I'll have to take another look at them. The other chicks look like just about EVERY OTHER breed of dark feathered birds, so I will just have to WAIT and see what they grow up to be! I'll keep ya posted!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  10:13:44 AM  Show Profile
I got 2 americanas chicks this year and I can't wait till they start laying to see what i get. I got them just for the pretty eggs. hehehehe I have black austrolorps for regular brown eggs so I just got these for fun!!! hehehehe I also got some bantys just cause they were cute. silver seabrights and one I forget it's name but it get red , white and blue feathers. Right now they are still small but really cute. they are loseing their fuzzy stuff and getting all their feathers. just too cute... Hope everyone else is having fun with their chickys too!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  2:32:24 PM  Show Profile
I have gotten a blue egg for 3 days now. I got 4 eggs yesterday! This is great after so long of not having eggs. I still have 3 dozen from the egg guy. And a chicken basket on the counter full of my own eggs! Oh so nice.

This hen has a tail and a little tiny ruffly top knot thing on her head. So I am not sure what she is. Maybe Americana. I need a picture to see.

Don't ya just love the chickies, Beverly? Last night I was picking one up and it was peeping and all the others got so quiet and looked up at her! It was so funny. I don't ever remember any chicks doing that before. These are Buffs. I wonder if Cheryl's did that?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  3:31:56 PM  Show Profile
I have 4 black austroloups and we get 3 eggs a day. We always have so many we don't know what to do with them all. I feed some of them to the dogs just to use them up. so I don't know what we will do with the pretty blue ones but I wanted them anyway!!!! hehehehehe the only rooster I have is a banty so I will not have any big babies right now but the little ones sure are cute!!! Just love the chickies!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  07:54:47 AM  Show Profile
The eggs are really a green color. But the first one I got that was so big was a double yolk. And yesterday I got another double yolker! How neat. I bet that hurts, though. They are SO big. She a good hen. And yesterday I got 5 eggs!!! Wow. So I have my little chicken basket on the counter full of eggs right now. I love it. Such a good feeling. Eggs and goat milk in the fridge. Can't ask for too much more, cept maybe some sun?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  09:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is awesome Kris! I am envious of your eggs! I have a local gal delivering me eggs each week. I can't wait until my next set!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  1:32:49 PM  Show Profile
That sounds so nice, to find blue eggs , and brown ones too. Chickens are the best...

karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  8:14:56 PM  Show Profile
I've been getting up to 5 eggs a day now. They are a very light brown color and the blue-green egg also. But today my granddaughter came in with the darkest brown egg I have ever seen. It had speckles on it, too. Then later we were out there and she found another one just like it in the mud. It was a little reddish -dark brown. I have no idea which hen is laying which egg so I don't have a clue who laid these. They are really dark and so pretty. Never in all the years I've had chickens have I gotten eggs this color. But I am just so happy to be getting any eggs at all. My chicken egg basket stays pretty full lately.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  8:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Kristin! I am so jealous! When I have hens I want some that lay pretty colored eggs like green, blue, and the pinkish ones as well as speckled eggs. Then I want some that lay the chocolate brown ones. Those look absolutely gorgeous to me!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  6:38:50 PM  Show Profile
In March I got my new batch of ladies, I gave the old hens to a friend, and am please to say I have 4 colorful layers in this batch of 25. One ended up being a rooster :( Our friends seem to think these colored eggs are special ... I just think it is a nice treat to gather a variety of eggs daily.
Enjoy yours ... perhaps you can have some "green eggs and ham"
Tammyb #541
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  7:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
That's so cool! I have two 3 week old Ameracaunas and two 3 week old Golden comets. I can't wait to see those "Easter Eggs" that mine willlay. The Comets will lay brown eggs, I believe.

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  7:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When I finally get hens I would like to have a mixed bag. I want some white or cream colored ones, some Easter Egg colored ones, and some chocolate brown ones! I would love opening up the fridge to an egg basket of all different colors! :D Somehow in the mental image it is an old time style fridge :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  05:48:32 AM  Show Profile
I'm still puzzled about the dark brown speckled eggs. Got another one yesterday. I thought the Cuckoo Marans were the only one that laid that dark of an egg. I would love to have some of those. Aren't they a black hen? And aren't they a heritage breed? I asked my feed store guy if he was getting any of them and he said they were hard to find. I see them in the market bulletin sometimes.

I got 5 eggs yesterday! Not bad out of 7 hens. And one of them is the momma hen so she's not laying now. She's such a good momma. But yesterday she was kind of dumb. I have the ducks out in the yard so they won't get the babies and she takes them all out there right in the corner where the ducks were. But the ducks didn't bother them. I guess because momma will attack them. She can be pretty vicious.

And I am still confused about my hen that lays the blue-green eggs. I have looked at pics of both the Americana and Auracana. She has a tail and is starting to get the feathered ears. She has the dark legs, too. I have had these before. She is still pretty young, too. So if anyone has these and can post pics, I love to see yours so I can compare them to mine.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

KansasConnie
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Connie
Atchison County Kansas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  08:35:57 AM  Show Profile
Don't you just love walking in the hen house to see what the girls have produced each day?

I have Marans (black) and Welsummers (brown) that both lay dark brown eggs. Cuckoo Marans are speckled (like a Barred Plymouth Rock). My Ameraucana chickens have tufts of short feathers near their "ears". (Chicks of all these breeds were available at our feed store this year. The Marans/Cuckoos and Welsummers were all over $4 each.) Yikes! I'd love to take the time to seperate my different hens/roos so I could hatch "pure" breed chicks...but I think hatching cross-bred chicks would be fun also!!

Kansas Connie

Edited by - KansasConnie on May 14 2009 08:37:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  09:03:03 AM  Show Profile
The brahmas do have feathered legs, they are my favorite. anxiously waiting for my buff orpingtons to start laying, they are about 16 weeks,I think. Will have to look at my calandar and see for sure. My brahmas have a ways to go,I got them the same batch as Beverly! The guinias are doing great, ordered 25,sold 15 and could have sold bunches more if I had them to spare,but the black flies are horrific this year and I think we really need them eaten up by the guinias ASAP. Only my Phoenix are laying- they are for show, but we have to use what we can get right now. They have small white eggs, not good to sell but good to eat anyway.
Go to Top of Page

KansasConnie
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Connie
Atchison County Kansas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  09:12:25 AM  Show Profile
I make pickled eggs out of my small pullet eggs...very cute in a quart jar! Looking forward to doing the same with eggs from my polish-crested chickens when they start laying...

Kansas Connie
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Blue Eggs and Dark Brown now Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page