True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  8:18:16 PM  Show Profile
Curious who raises heritage breeds?
I bought a variety of breeds in order to figure out what I liked.
If I let them do their thing and bring forth chicks how do I regulate cross breeding? Or do I just need to pick one breed?

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  8:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I do, I do... I have buff orpingtons... they are soooooooo cute!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  8:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Are you going to let them propagate?
Speaking of, do they still raise chicks on their own? Do I have to buy and incubator?
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  07:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
What breeds did you get?! I got Silver Gray Dorkings and I LOVE them! 2 hens I have a SLW rooster so breeding is out without crossing..I also got 3 Sicilian Buttercups and they are good...a little flighty than the SLW's and dorkings but good girls.

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  08:33:57 AM  Show Profile
I have 4 Black Austrolope pullets, 2 Buff Orp pullets, 6 Barred Rock pullets and 1 cockeral, 2 pullets & 2 cockerals of some unknown breed. The sales man told me they were buff orps, but they did not turn golden and have some random red feathers, so who knows what they are.
Go to Top of Page

Mad Typist
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Faith
Vermont
55 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  2:34:12 PM  Show Profile
Brahmas are super-tame, especially with the hands-on treatment they've gotten from my son and they're very cold hardy but I'd be hesitant to mix them with another breed, as they seem to be bullying our Salmon Favorelles...

Savor Happy Accidents...
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  10:22:21 AM  Show Profile
I have been raising "Heritage" breeds for nearly 20yrs now, and I have raised just about everything out there. (I also understand WHY some birds are nearly extinct-- they're just AWFUL!!!) If any of you are interested, you can see a list of the most endangered birds (and probably sources to buy them) on the "American Livestock Breeds Conservancy" (ALBC) website. (it also lists the status of other Farm animals as well) The site will tell you wich birds are "Critical", which are "recovering" and which are on "Watch."

As for which birds are best? It's totally a matter of personal choice. I have my specific favorites, as do all the other ladies here who raise chickens. My favorites have been the Orpingtons, Dominiques, Brahmas, Faverolles (which are VERY docil birds and prone to being picked on by more agressive breeds), a few banty breeds and a few other large breed chickens. There are also specific breeds I DON'T like for one reason or another. Mostly because the birds were very agressive tword my other birds, or they were just plain MEAN period!

Mean birds I've had are Polish, New Hampshire reds, (the roosters), and I really didn't like the Lakenvelders. I brooded them with my Faverolles and, even as chicks, they were VERY agressive. They were actually KILLING the Faverolle chicks. I had to separate the two breeds. The Lakenvelders ARE beautiful birds, but they should never be housed with more mellow birds unless they have LOTS of room to avoid one another.

Whatever breeds you get, have fun with them. Hope you find some you REALLY like! Hugs~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  10:07:46 AM  Show Profile
I have a few varities of Heritage chickens. My rooster is a Buff Orpington, and I have Deleware hens, light brahma, Silver Laced Wydotte (sp?) with a few others sprinkled in *U* They free range in my horse pasture except winter they go to their coop and henhouse.

Dalyn

~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/

Muckboots 'N Aprons at Home Chapter
http://yakimafarmgirls.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  07:15:54 AM  Show Profile
I have for the past three years been trying to get Cuckoo Marans and have had no luck... I also have on my dream list Salmon Faverolles and Welsummers but again those who advertise them only seem to have roosters or I miss the out on all the hens being sold. I have even had some breeders trying to pass off roosters as hens - I guess with all the folks trying their hand at simple life living those breeders have some "green acreas folks". I sure wish someone could tell me of a breeder or breeders of these breeds - PLEASE.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mad Typist
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Faith
Vermont
55 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  05:31:15 AM  Show Profile
Murray-McMurray had Salmon Favorelles last time I checked and we got ours from a local feed store "spring spree" or whatever they call it. Not sure about the Welsummers, though...

Savor Happy Accidents...
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  7:02:15 PM  Show Profile
We wanted to get some buckeyes, but ordered too late. . .
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Heritage Chickens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page