Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic chickens :-) Next Topic  

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  10:58:27 AM  Show Profile
I have chickens finally!!! We got 10 white leghorns on Saturday. They are about 1 to 11/2 years old so we are getting eggs!! We are going to be ordering some for fall butchering as well as layers for next year but I have real ones!!! I am so excited. We built a temporary coop until we get our main one done and they are quite pleased with it. I can tell by the Queens strut and the way they were lazing this morning, no rush to get up. ( I can relate)
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  1:06:49 PM  Show Profile
Congrats! I love leghorns. Have fun.

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  2:01:24 PM  Show Profile
WaHooo!! Hooray!!! You have the chicken bug now. . LOL!
My Girls celebrate their 1 year birthday a week from today
I have 6 more on order and should be arriving in about 2 weeks.
(Rhode Island Reds)
Share some Pictures when you can, I would love to see your chickens!

Joanna#566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  6:19:47 PM  Show Profile
They have such personality I can't believe it. The bossy one and one who hates poop on her feet!! Really she lifts up her foot and looks at you like... well come on. They are fun and I love it. I can't wait to keep getting more animals. Farming is hard work but ever so rewarding and it is different kind of work when it for you.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  9:59:22 PM  Show Profile
There is nothing better than becoming a Chickn Mama.. My new ones are 6 weeks old and really growing. I can't wait to turn them out in the yard in the mornings with the older 3 hens.. They are in the "studio" with the others & rooster at night divided by chicken wire . So they are aware of their bigger sisters..& "Big Al... I am sure he can't wait for them to joinn his harem... Not sure when I can let them run together... perhaps in a couple more weeks?

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  05:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Congrats on your chickens!! MIne turn are 1 week old today and I can't wait until they get a little older. How excited to have chicks that are laying eggs! I still have a while to wait yet..lol Have fun with them!

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  06:04:25 AM  Show Profile

Do any of you ladies free range your chickens? I am thinking about it with my guys and gals but need to know how long I should wait...age wise... they are only 2 months old. I have let them out with me before but they don't seem too dog or cat savvy. How do I keep them from getting killed. Do I need to wait until my roosters are feeling their oats a bit more and will defend the hens?
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  08:34:13 AM  Show Profile
We are going to just build a decent size "chicken yard" by our coop. We are really out in the woods and I would worry too much about animals getting them. Figure that was they can still move around to exercise but will be safer. I would love to free range them but...
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  2:01:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by C.W.

. Do I need to wait until my roosters are feeling their oats a bit more and will defend the hens?

that's a cute way to put it. :)

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  4:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Well hens are still giving us 2 eggs a day which I guess is ok, just not sure if same couple or if they are all taking turns :-)
Sure nice having fresh eggs!!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  05:59:20 AM  Show Profile
Rae, when they first started laying, were the eggs in their nests or all over the place?
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  06:21:12 AM  Show Profile
Our chicks came with their wings clipped. That will prevent them from flying over our pasture fence. I will keep them in the chicken coop until they start laying really well, then I will give them access to the pasture where I cut a hole in the chicken yard straight into the pasture. I hope that they will return to their nests to lay their eggs.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  07:50:42 AM  Show Profile
Rae,
What brand of chicken food do you give them?
Thanks, Rosemary

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  03:02:31 AM  Show Profile
The chickens are in a temporary coop until we can get the permanent one built. We haven't had a chance to put in nest so they are just laying where they feel like it. Usually where straw in thicker.
Rosemary - right now we are using Nature Wise Premium Layer Feed and plain cracked corn. We will probably go to a little different kind of mixture through feed store, cheaper, and it doesn't seem to excite them. They love the corn!!!! Want something with oyster shell for the eggs though.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  07:07:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Rae,
I'd love to get two eggs a day.
Rosemary

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  07:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rae- You should be able to buy the ground up shells seperate if needed. Congrats on your hens!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  10:54:44 AM  Show Profile
Alee
Yeah that is what we were going to look at, and then just the corn and whatever. I am really enjoying the "girls". They have so much personality out there. They lay on their sides and sun and when I talk to them they listen, and complain sometimes :-)
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  4:27:44 PM  Show Profile
Happy Mothers Day to all. Our chickens laid 4 eggs today!! THey have been doing 3 the last so this is quite exciting. We are giving oyster shell and cracked corn and just a little of the mix we had started with. The oyster shells seem to make them happy and NOT eating the eggs :-)
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  08:34:25 AM  Show Profile
Well the girls are really coming around, 6 eggs yesterday!!!
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 23 2009 :  6:44:15 PM  Show Profile
Hens are going better, in fact one day got 6 eggs and lately they are going around 4 eggs a day, hopefully will keep up. One was attacking another so had to take victim out. Going to get some Hot Pick. Been recommended by quite a few as well as McMurray Hatchery website. Went to local feed store, never heard of anything and said just kill her as they will always pick on her!! (Poor Matilda) But called one about 30 miles away, we will now be going to) and he knew what I was talking about right away. Was out but said he will order and have it in by end of the week!!
What a difference in knowledge and customer service!!!
THe new coop is part way done and if all goes well tomorrow should just about have it up! I am quite sure they will be happy with more space all around.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  11:13:27 AM  Show Profile
Rae, it is good to have a place to go that actually knows what you're talking about. Some of these "feed store" people I think just got off the truck. Even at Tractor Supply half of them don't know a thing about animals. I have one girl I always go to about anything. She's young but has grown up around animals and knows what she's doing and I trust her.

I found another nest in the goat barn. Silly hens. I was just getting 3 eggs lately when I had been getting 4-5 a day. There is a little nest right in the corner with 8 eggs in it. I left one and she was on it awhile ago. So I'll go look later. Anyway, why do they do this to me?

My new chicks, the Ancondas, are in the leghorn family. They are so cute. I want more of them. I just love chickies.

And they will be much nicer to each other when they have more room. Mine are all over the place and never bother each other.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 24 2009 :  2:25:49 PM  Show Profile
Put Matilda back in today and about an hour later she went into nest and laid an egg!! Got 6 day so not bad out of 10. Will probably have to get her out for night as one is following her and poking. Sure be glad to get that stuff. The lady at the one closer looks so grumpy all the time when you go in :-( Just glad we found someone that knows things. It is on the way to my hubbies work so he can stop there anytime we need.
78 out today so nice day. Still working on coop but at a point Kevin doesn't need me so dogs and I came in for a cookie and water.

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  10:08:47 AM  Show Profile
Matilda is back on her own, as evening came the bully started pecking. Will keep her there now until I get my Hot Pick!!
Another question how long are eggs good for, once refrigerated??
Rae

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic chickens :-) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page