Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Weather Report
 Looking for great business ideas!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Weather Report: Previous Topic Looking for great business ideas! Next Topic  

Patti Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Patti
Portland Oregon
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  10:54:32 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls! My name is Patti.....Patti Ann....as my german aunties call me! Heres the picture of things....Several years ago my husband, two children and dogs moved to forty acres of woodland in the West Hills of Portland, Or. I have made my mind up to turn this place into a working farm of sorts because I am soooooooo ready. I have started with my flock-a-chickens and a wonderful chicken coop and run(we used an old insulated dog house and remodeled!)and am planning on getting goats next spring. I have a decent size garden with potential for another two or three sites for more. I am putting a roadside stand up this week that is beautiful and made from an old arbor. I get sooooo excited when I read MaryJanesFarm Mag. and anything else I can get my hands on. I guess I am fishing for any ideas that could generate income and allow me to homestead for the next ten years without feeling guilty that I am not applying myself elsewhere. Is there anything that is flying out the door that I could either be a part of or create myself here that any one of you farmgirls know about or do yourselfs? Calling all farmgirls to help this potential entrepreneur(did I spell that right?Oh what the heck....where is the spell check when you need it!heeheehee)"get down to business!"

"I will meet you in the field, on the other side of all wrongdoing and rightdoing, and just be." Anonymous

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  7:12:08 PM  Show Profile
Patti:
If I lived in Portland, I'd be looking for your road side stand. I love buying fresh veggies. We are getting so many cherry tomatoes in our garden. However, our okra plants are not growing tall, but are producing. Any ideas why? I surely would NOT feel guilty about wanting to work on our own land with your own hands. A job is a job. When you open the road side stand, you could do some paintings on pieces of boards. Like paint a cat and put a saying with it. A couple of weekends ago, my DH and I went to Kerrville, Texas (love that place) and I bought a wooden sign that said, "Cats are like potato chips, you can't have just one." I would surely buy one. Keep us posted on your ideas.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  2:45:08 PM  Show Profile
Well I know what I would do---I'd have a bed and board----do you know how we city chicks envy you country gals??? I'd give my eye teeth to live a week among you and pitch in and WORK.....oh I am so SERIOUS.

Beverly Gill
Go to Top of Page

Patti Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Patti
Portland Oregon
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  12:50:26 PM  Show Profile
I know....I love it in the country Beveryly....I remember that feeling when I was in town and longed to see nothing but trees and fields forever in all directions. Now that it has come true its been a very exciting but slightly intimidating thing considering I want to do it but sometimes dont know in what direction to go. I am slightly different from my husband that way and so he gets me side tracked and onto other things that I find meaningless in comparison to working the land and raising animals. So, I descided to just be the farmgirl that I am and go after whatever I want to create here without further ado....or in this case waiting around for my husband to help with projects that need to get started like a shelter for the goats and sheep and one cow I want to introduce in the next year or so. I do need to adorn my roadside stand with some catchy signs and the cat quote I too would purchase in a heart beat considering I cannot live without those cuddly creatures. Keep the ideas coming pleeeeaaaassssseee!

"I will meet you in the field, on the other side of all wrongdoing and rightdoing, and just be." Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Patti Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Patti
Portland Oregon
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  12:51:43 PM  Show Profile
oh and the okra I know nothing about growing accept that I love it pickled! Did you get to harvest any Marly? I hope so!

Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Looking for great business ideas! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page