coffeebabe
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Helen
South Yarmouth MA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  06:33:04 AM  Show Profile
I haven't had TV for years now. I have a 12 yr old daughter, and frankly, we don't miss it. We really don't have time to watch anyway, what with her homework schedule and my work schedule. When I go somewhere where they do have on and it's on I am appalled by all the violence that is on. I remember when I was 11, and Bobby Kennedy was shot - they showed it on TV, and I remember really feeling shocked, as if I had been there - that's how powerful it felt.

Now that kind of displayed violence is commonplace and people are numb to it. (What is wrong with THAT picture!?)

Occasionally I miss the home & garden shows, or Discovery, but I can usually get videos at the (free) library and watch those.

coffeebabe
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  08:06:14 AM  Show Profile
Morning eveybody! Gorgeous and nippy here with threats of the temp dipping into the 40's tonight! Cant't get husband to but we have limits for our son;no more than 2 hours for tv, video games or computer (unless school related). Sounds like alot ? In actuality with all his activities and friends he has a hard time getting 45 minutes in! He started middle school and the activities are endless! It was inconceivable to me that ALL the children he went to elementary school with had TV/VCR/DVDs in their rooms as well as computers! I've heard it explained that atleast the kids don't fight about what they watch anymore! What about family time, cooperation, learning compromise and tolerance? We had one tv growing up and what was watched was determined by your turn or favorite night! I can remember special permission on Thursday nights to "stay up" past 8:00 to watch That Girl and that was a huge deal to me! There are few things on that elicit that sort of anticipation. I still like PBS and Masterpiece Theatre (usually...) I just read Barbara Kingsolver's
Small Wonders and she has two essays about tv . One she refers to it as the one eyed monster and explains why her children still do not have a tv in their home. The other she explains that due to the lack of televised media horrors and network programming there are no murders in her home! These both really hit home for me because I have been very cautious in what my son was allowed to watch or see at the movies and we never had nightmares/ terrors and he slept a peaceful blissful sleep that children ought to! It's a little harder these days but I am still watchful and if something is questionable I will watch with him and determine appropriateness myself! Well I guess you know know how I feel on this HotTopic! Going out in the sunshine now! Bramble
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Tracy
Amherst NH
10 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2004 :  6:25:19 PM  Show Profile
Well ladies and gentlemen my daughter has just finished day eight with no t.v. and is doing fine. I think my hubby is more upset than she is. Although she doesn't quite understand what's going on and asks very mournfully, "Will I never get to watch ANYTHING EVER AGAIN?". Phew, it's hard to break habits.

Pieces of the moon dancing
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2004 :  11:39:07 AM  Show Profile
Heres's a link to a good article about one family's experience of being tv-less.... http://www.stretcher.com/stories/04/04sep27g.cfm

Go to Top of Page

Idahospud
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Nikki
Emmett Idaho
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2004 :  8:57:34 PM  Show Profile
We haven't had TV reception of any kind for over 3 years now. It has been WONDERFUL! We do have a VCR and DVD player to watch the occasional movie, but it's not a big attraction around here. A few weeks ago, the batteries went dead in the remote, and no-one was bothered enough to replace them for over a week--they just found other stuff to do. I think that not having TV has made my kids more creative and more apt to play together; also, since we homeschool, I love not having the distraction. It does make us a little out of the loop when it comes to some of the pop culture stuff--I have never seen American Idol or Survivor, for example.

Sometimes I think back to when we have TV and I wonder how I got anything done! It is such a time waster.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2004 :  05:19:43 AM  Show Profile
I agree, TV is a time waster. And someday we will look back on our lives and wonder why we spent so much time just watching inane stuff. TV could be so wonderful if it was used to teach and inform, and thank goodness there are a few progrmas like that. I never turn on the TV during the day while I am at home. It goes on after dinner for an hour or two. Interesting that my daughter was never really addicted to the TV. Even as a child, she would turn it off after a program or two.

Thanks for the link to the article, Clare. You are so informed....how do you find all these interesting links?

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic TV - Less Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page