julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  07:38:56 AM  Show Profile
It is important for me to tell you that she is SO much better! With each day, she improves. The hard cast made all the difference in the world. Her pain is so much less than it was, which is so big. The last time she was in this kind of pain was when she was in the hospital after her cancer was first diagnosed. For me, the stress of seeing her in this bewildered writhing state of fear and pain is almost too much. In fact, it is too much and yet there's some innate, primal response that is triggered enabling me to deal with it for one more moment. I found myself holding my breath and breathing deeply at the same time. Isn't that odd? That lasted a day and I'm grateful that it didn't linger any longer...

She is regaining her strength and is able to move her casted leg. It isn't so tender and fragile and she isn't so scared by it now. She most definitely associated touching her leg with excruciating pain so it is no wonder she avoided it. Now it is a different story.

I'm figuring out how to get her around in a stroller while propping her leg on a pillow. I'm learning how to get her in and out of her carseat without wrenching my back. My tummy muscles just aren't what they used to be!! I've got the peeing part down but the bathing thing still needs some work. I need to figure that one out soon, because she is really starting to stink!

All in all, she is in great spirits and we are quickly getting back on track...albeit a hobbled track for a little while but certainly heading in the right direction!!!

Thank you all for your marvelous support and encouragement. It means so much.. Jami, I have taken your advice: I've enjoyed a single porter beer with my lunch around noon a couple of times. It really was a yummy and tastey treat!!!

Here are a few pictures! More soon!!! ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  07:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Julia, Aria is such a fighter. I saw her in the office the other day and she says Hey you are a Farmgirl! She was reading and chitchatting away. She'll be running around again soon.. Hang in there Mama! And there aint too much that a good beer cant fix... ; )

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  07:54:56 AM  Show Profile
Julia,
So happy to hear that things have calmed down a bit. Love the picture. I see she still has the chubby baby legs and feet. Just love that part of the little ones.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  07:55:38 AM  Show Profile
Julia, great to hear from you! Top pic made me say "owwww" but the bottom pic made up for it all. What a pretty princess! I am so relieved she is beginning to mend and feeling more like herself. It's traumatic to be sliding down the slide and end up in the hospital...no wonder she was scared! I understand your angst at her pain. I started grinding my teeth reading that and my tummy did a flip-flop because the mother in me responded.

Sorry to contribute to any sort of *hiccup* future meetings with the words, "hello, my name is Julia and I'm an __________...." but hey...a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do to survive in this world and sometimes it takes strong spirits to keep our spirits strong.

Happy day.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  08:01:09 AM  Show Profile
Dearest Julia and sweet sweet Aria,

I have thought of y'all everyday. I am so relieved that Aria's pain is better and the two of you are working on some sustainable systems to get by until this huge break heals.

I have an idea for a gift for Aria and I feel bad I haven't been able to get to it. I always place it on my to do list but I am so very busy right now. Yesterday I was feeling bad that I haven't started and I excused myself because of my full schedule and then I felt worse thinking of you Julia; of how much this injury has changed your life and schedule.

We work so hard for normality and Bang! in a second it all changes. I know that is why I find your stories so touching. You are a goddess of making the very best at what the world presents you with. A fine example to all whiners that life is as good or bad as you see it. This is also evidence of your gift as a writer.

I am glad you treated yourself to a porter. I have to admit I, too love dark beer. Good for you, to give yourself a break. Momma YOU DESERVE THEM! Many of them all day long (breaks not beers).

So know I am sending you tons of bright warm rays of healing thoughts until I get my act together so I can finish what I started and get it in the mail.

Keep breathin deep and exhalin long,
h
Oh and for the bath, Maybe a spray bottle filled with water and essential oils (I love lavender) and have her just spray herself and wipe it off. It's sorta fun and smells great!

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  09:17:08 AM  Show Profile
What a beautiful picture. Love the color also. I'm glad things are getting back to normal for you. Have you tried a sink bath? a little messy but it may be easier.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  09:35:08 AM  Show Profile
Dear Julia, you are so amazing and strong. I can imagine how hard it is to be going through all of this. Aria's break made ME writhe. OWWWWIE! The pic of her is just lovely. The bath thing is tricky, you have to wrap the cast like a mummy! and tape it down and then try to keep it out of the water anyway... I had a badly fractured ankle last year and it was a "joy" figuring out how to bathe. I ended up sitting sideways in the tub and hanging my foot over the tubs edge. I wish you so much luck. She looks like such a little cherub, I hate to think of her as a stinky angel! LOL!
I was also thinking of the sink bath trick, she'd be able to keep that cast dry that way.

Have a good porter for me girl! you deserve it!

Take care
Love and hugs

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  09:41:18 AM  Show Profile

Jami!! You are pure SUNSHINE for me!!! Honestly, the *hiccup* about did me in!! I'm sitting here giggling!!! That was completely unexpected and absolutely hilarious..Thank you for the laugh...oh it feels so good to laugh!!!

Heide, I sent you an email..you are such a gentle soul...love, admire, respect you so deeply!!

Amanda, Aria is a hoot! I can just picture her. "Hey, you're a farmgirl aren't-ya?" Crack me up!!

Nancy, Dianne and Annika...just a huge whopping thanks!! We really are doing well.

We have 4 little kittens and Aria loves playing with them and holding them. I give her one to hold and she cradles it for hours and hours. I don't think we can fully understand the healing power of this kind of connection. When I give her the kitten to hold, something comes over Aria. I don't know. She gets this angelic look about her as if her entire being is surrounded in a halo of some kind. It is so beautiful to watch. I'll try and capture it on film!!

Thanks again everyone...Isn't that x-ray amazing???
~j

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  10:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Julia- I am so glad the heart cast helped so much. The x-ray sure is something else, isn't it!

One of my dearest friends had a really horrible break and her bone was healing _very_ slowly. She had been in casts and braces for 6 months. Everytime she put weight on her leg the bone "crunched". She got some dairy goats and started drinking fresh raw goats milk everyday and her break healed within couple weeks. Her doctors said it was nothing short of a miracle after the length of time that her leg had been broken.

I am sure Aria's will heal just fine-but just wanted to throw that experience out there so if you have access to goat's milk from somewhere you might try it. I wouldn't suggest the canned stuff or even the stuff you can buy in a store. It doesn't taste nearly as good as fresh!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  11:00:30 AM  Show Profile
Dear Julia and Aria.

BOTH you girls amaze me time and time again. Your strength and love for eachother shows in every post :)
I LOVE the color she has on her leg, lol. When I had broken my wrist 2 years ago, I choose......HOT PINK, what else :)

Give that girl a big hug from a Dutch aunty, and one very big one for you as well, Julia.
God bless you both :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  6:14:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh Julia I took one look at that x-ray and all I could think was "owwwww". Oh poor little gal. She looks good though in the second picture. My she has been through soooo much. God bless you both.
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  6:54:51 PM  Show Profile
Ouch! Poor thing! We are praying for her!

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  04:33:05 AM  Show Profile
Julia, I have no words to express my feelings, just want to give you and Aria and all of you a big hug.
everything is going to be okay, take it one moment at the time and get some private time just to restore your soul.
Hugs,
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  07:38:05 AM  Show Profile
Julia, a laugh a day is good for the soul--hopefully more than one! Hug yourself for me today and that cute gimpy girl too.

That picture of her makes me want to break my leg! Couch, pillow, some yummy treat, quilt...probably her favorite movie going. Sigh....back to work!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  11:22:01 AM  Show Profile
You will get everything figured out. Between a 3-year-old sister with a broken arm years ago and when I had to have ankles casted at different times, you will learn to work around the cast. On the last one, we would wrap a garbage bag around it and tape it and then I would prop my foot up on my crutches, but I don't think your little princess can do the propping part (I'm 5'9" and very long legged). This may sound strange, but do you maybe have a large wash tub or kitchen sink you could put her in and bathe her? If not, you may have to settle for a sponge bath.

My prayers are with y'all at this time as that little girl is tough and I know her family is with her always.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  1:29:18 PM  Show Profile
Love that picture of Aria, what a precious one she is! I'm so glad that her pain is less now. I'm thinking about you all and praying everyday.

Big hugs!

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  2:52:58 PM  Show Profile
What a break! My goodness, I had no idea a bone could break like that. But she sure looks ok now. I have never had to deal with broken bones, but I am sure you will get it all done somehow.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  10:04:40 AM  Show Profile
Julia~OUCH! It's the first thing that comes to mind. I can see why she was in so much pain. She is so precious. You are two very brave farmgirls!!!

I am glad to hear things are working out well. You will continue to be in my prayers and thoughts.

For the bathing you could put her leg in a plastic bag and be careful not to immerse it. My husband broke his foot last sumer and had pins in it for 7 weeks. He would take a bath with his foot in a bag and propped on the side of the tub. They also sell a cover that toes over the cast and you can suction all the air out of it. My nephew had one when his leg was in a cast. I don't think it's expensive.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  5:43:19 PM  Show Profile
That was a doozy of a break, alright! I'm so glad she's doing better. Love the purple cast!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  5:48:45 PM  Show Profile
Aria is so pretty- no matter what she goes through, her beauty never fades. What a champ. You too.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic PICTURES of Aria Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page