FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  08:46:32 AM  Show Profile
That's cool, Mary Jane--what was her origin? Irish, or Eastern European like Czech or Polish? The old ladies in the "gypsy" section of my neighborhood in London had little cafes where they would serve wonderful foods and read your leaves for a few pence.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  09:47:56 AM  Show Profile
Stuff like this and oiuiji boards are a door to something much darker. Not Satan worship, just occult and not focused on God like we ought. I try to follow the bible and respect it. When God sets forth a mandate, it's for a very good reason.

I too am a Christian and find stuff like this FASCINATING! Same for voodoo and its culture, but not so much as to go delving into it and start depending on it.

Have done the oiuji board as a kid and it really didn't work. Wasn't really trying to focus either. Was praying instead b/c I felt badly about even doing it.

My dad tells a story about him also trying it. And it did work, and it freaked him out something badly when it spelled out his middle name and the triangle clearly was not being pushed by any of the people.

I would like to know the histroy behind tarrot cards. Their origins, what the images mean and how the images are selected for each subject.
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  10:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I prefer Angel Card Readings and I don't touch Ouija boards whatsoever -- Too each their own, I say, but Tarot.. I'm rather careful about. I like Angel Cards and actually do those readings... :)

~~~~
http://www.stevietribute.com
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  07:48:07 AM  Show Profile
Diana, You didn't say where you got the cards. If they weren't brand new, I probably would not have used them. But new cards should not cause what you describe! Pick up some white sage, and burn it in each room, that should take care of whatever it is!
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  11:59:13 AM  Show Profile
I picked them up at the thrift store..When Jim and I first moved into this house it was a little scary. I opened the door one day and had a few girlfriends with me and we all saw a large shadow fall across the room and disappear into the woodwork. My one friend would not come in. I did but some holy water and sprinkled it in every room, I still see glimzes of things every now and then but I say go to God, follow the light and all will be better. Not sure if that works or not but I do it anyway. I will try the white sage if I can find it...

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  12:22:37 PM  Show Profile
I love tarot cards but not really to divine the future,more like a counseling tool,the images are highly symbolic and if you're pondering over a situation and struggling to gain perspective you can lay out your cards and read over the images and find that through the images and archetypes you gain some different,outlooks,opinions or ideas,sure,they can divine the future because after reading the cards you might change the path that you're on.
I've never related anything evil to tarot cards or to any form of divination but then I'm also not Christian either,I come from a Native background believing that all life was related and sacred..I suppose there are alot of people who would consider such things evil,seeing as we could not legally celebrate the Sun Dance until 1973 even though Freedom of Religion was granted to everyone but us at the time I suppose.
I believe in live and let live and I rub shoulders well with people of all faiths,I love people as they come and do the best I'm able to do right by them.
My favorite decks of cards are the "Sacred Circle Tarot","The Goddess Oracle" and the Robin Wood deck,which is a very traditional deck with beautiful artistry,it's a good deck to learn on if you're getting familiar with the traditional images,major and minor arcana in the deck.
I also have the "Medicine Cards" which are images of animals and inspired by Native American beliefs and symbolism,I find those are generally less threatening and approachable to those who might be a little worried about tarot cards.
Anyways,nice to know that there are others here who like to read the tarot,whether you're looking to divine the future or just unscramble some things in your life or mind,they can be a positive thing,to those that don't like them,that's okay too,we're still Sisters at the end of our debates!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  12:39:03 PM  Show Profile
I meant to comment on Sheri's suggection to burn some white sage,this is called "smudgeing" and is a good idea to chase away negativity,bad spirits or bad ju-ju,whatever you like to call it,traditionally,in our culture we would burn the white sage for all the bad ju-jus and then follow it with burning sweet grass to attract all the positive white-light fluffy bunny ju-jus,this way you don't leave a void and call to you all the good stuff while repelling the bad.
My Unci (Grandma) would always keep a garlic braid or onion in the window of her kitchen to repel sickness and misfortune and she regularly burned sage and sweet grass to keep her home purified,she was a French Canadian and Assiniboin midwife so we often looked to her for guidance on all these things,I bet she would get a kick out of a deck of tarot cards if she were still alive :)

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

berrygirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Angela
Hendersonville NC
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  3:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Send berrygirl a Yahoo! Message
Hello, I am christian and wary of ouija boards and tarot cards. But it is all fascinating. I also go ghost hunting but say a prayer to Jesus for protection and I feel my faith in him protects me. I also remember reading that you can sprinkle salt in your house or room for protection.
Very interesting.

The good old days are the ones you live today...
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  03:53:34 AM  Show Profile
Katherine,

I had thought about doing a little ceremony at work when a very negatine individual finally quit.

Wanted to smudge the work environment and make it positive again.

I bought bundles of white sage last summer whilst out in South Dakota and Wyoming but didn't think much about the sweet grass.

Sure wish I had a close frined here to assist who is famillar w/ the ceremony and not make me feel weird.

OH! and I;m a Chriatian, but wanted to do something more ritualized as a part of my own healing process too.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  3:43:58 PM  Show Profile
It has been a long time since I posted regularly to the Farmgirl Connection. This thread caught my attention immediately upon my return today.

I think some folks have been misled about what tarot cards are and how they're properly used. They're not for "fortune telling." Since I first began doing readings in 1966, I've always used the tarot to help people discover something about themselves, to gain insights about things that might be confusing them or blocking their paths to a more blessed life. These insights can help them make choices about their own future with more confidence, but that's as close as any tarot reading I've ever done has come to "fortune-telling." Other tarot readers whom I know approach their readings the same way. The artwork and symbology of the cards are sort of like the famous Rorschach ink blot designs in that they help people tap into some basic ideas about life that almost go beyond words. Oh, here's an even better analogy along those lines: stained glass windows in the old cathedrals and churches throughout Europe created in a time when most people were illiterate, which contain images -- including some that were meant to represent Hell and the Devil -- that helped people understand the concepts, lessons, and promises of their faith.

It's certainly interesting to read all the varied reactions that other farmgirls have to tarot cards. As Alee has pointed out, the respect we for diversity here is amazing. Just goes to show what a strong bond sisterhood creates! It takes a lot more than different spiritual beliefs to keep us from helping each other grow and prosper despite the challenges we all face.

Edited by - Rosemary on Jun 08 2009 3:51:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  6:05:06 PM  Show Profile
Mara & Kathryn, I enjoyed reading those, it really is nice to all that we can share our feelings and still be accepted as sisters..I love it!!

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  6:26:31 PM  Show Profile
Cheers!
I love the idea of international symbology reflecting one's inner intentions.
This forum is such a wonderful quilt of strong varied threads spun by true passions. A topic like tarot cards can strike friction and enough heat to keep it spinning into a fine respectable thread.

"I am the edge I seek, a crossroads of divinity."
~Trillium, excerpt from We'moon

h

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  07:41:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NudeFoodFarm

Cheers!
I love the idea of international symbology reflecting one's inner intentions.
This forum is such a wonderful quilt of strong varied threads spun by true passions. A topic like tarot cards can strike friction and enough heat to keep it spinning into a fine respectable thread.

Oh honey, I get plenty of friction out there in the cold, cruel world, I sure don't need it here so don't look to me to spark any flames :-) But I'll bet you're a fan of the Motherpeace tarot deck, true? I wonder if there are any newer decks along those lines. It's been while since I looked at what was available.
Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  08:09:51 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary~ obviously you have no idea how hot your comments are. I have been following this thread from the beginning and have watched it boil, now slowing to a simmer. As we do share similar ideas about tarot; I enjoy Carolynn Myss's Archetype cards which are entirely different than tarot but are from a similar school of thought.

I am sorry if I offended you or you felt under attack. I was doing the opposite and congratulating all the women who feel safe to voice their honest opinion, pro or con, christian or not.

From your last post I can't tell if you are being condescending or friendly; but for a woman who thinks she doesn't spark any flames, you sure have a way of heating up a conversation.

But again, either way, I enjoy the honesty.
Best,
h

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  08:53:00 AM  Show Profile
You didn't offend me! And I sure didn't mean to be condescending. I'm a bit older than a lot of the women here, and have a tendency to write with a little more formality that I guess can sometimes come across that way. I'll try to sound less like that as I ease myself back into the community after a long break.

Yeah, I've been a Farmgirl for a long time and I've seen plenty of threads much warmer than this one. I'll even lay claim to having kicked off a few! Unless I managed to skim over something vital, it seems to me this has been a relatively civilized statement of opposing views in a climate of acceptance, if not agreement. Sometimes, that's the best we can hope for.

I long ago gave up the idea that I would ever change anyone's mind here about things that divide us along spiritual lines. As a card-carrying NeoPagan (you can use the "W" word if you like), I'm just happy to be judged on what I actually believe, rather than on what someone's been told I believe!

If this thread heats up because of my post, I'll be very sorry, but I don't see that happening so far. So good! :-)

Just on the general topic of tarot decks, I have one that I really love, that's based on the Rider-Waite designs, but using photographs of scenes (staged and otherwise) in New York City. The Ace of Pentacles is a manhole cover in Greenwich Village with a big star in the middle -- things like that. Margot Adler (author of Drawing Down the Moon) posed for the High Priestess card. That deck was done almost 30 years ago, I think. I've often wondered if there were other similar decks out there, based on other regional symbology.

I remember Carolyn Myss from her videos, which I remember giving to my late mother several years ago. I didn't know she had authorized a tarot deck. I'm sure it's very pretty.

Edited by - Rosemary on Jun 09 2009 08:58:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  12:42:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Anna. I wanted to suggest a well-researched book about the origins and meaning of tarot cards, if you're really interested. It's kind of a classic, and I'm privileged to say I know the author, Rachel Pollack (we're both fountain pen collectors, and she's my "snail-mail" pen pal). Here's the link to the book at Amazon,com, where you can read a few pages of it if you like: http://www.amazon.com/Seventy-Eight-Degrees-Wisdom-Book-Tarot/dp/1578634083 .

You sound like a real sweetheart. Nice to meet you :-)
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  3:39:05 PM  Show Profile
There is nothing evil or demonic about tarot cards. You must believe in demons for them to affect you and I personally don't believe in demons. I also do not believe in evil as evil. For evil to exist you must allow it. I don't. How can pictures being printed on paper be evil? I think they are fun but I think our future is chosen by us and if we don't allow evil then we don't have evil in our lives. Nope, tarot cards are ok, they have beautiful pictures.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

ranchetta
True Blue Farmgirl

318 Posts

carol
Marysville Wahington
USA
318 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  8:42:15 PM  Show Profile
Ahhh, the Tarot! Years ago I used to read but stopped when some gals became very depended on the readings. (I had gone to a reader and she told me specifically what would happen in the future............how totally irresponsible.....and she was wrong.) So when I did readings we worked on a client's self discovery (and issues) through the cards' representations. For me it was more like a counseling sessions where the individual ultimately figured out what she MAY need to do, or stop doing, for a favorable outcome in a situation instead of being prompted by the reader.....and suckered into a dependency. The future outcome was in the hands of the client...where it belonged. I still love the cards and have a few! I absolutely love the Medicine Cards which uses animals as symbols to self discovery.....

What a fun subject!

http://curlywillowsranch.blogspot.com/
http://alteredshots.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  08:05:38 AM  Show Profile
Carol, that's exactly how the cards should be used. Whenever someone comes to me expecting to have their future predicted, I explain how it doesn't work that way, and warn them against being bamboozled by people who might take advantage of such desires. Sometimes they don't listen, but often, they do, and it wakes them up to their need to own some responsibility for their lives. We know, of course, that people can be sucked into "destinies" that they think they can't escape -- I'm talking about being trapped in an abusive relationship and things like that -- and just being told to shape up isn't going to help, but we can at least be one more voice of self-awareness for people. How they choose to act on that, or not act on that, is up to them.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  08:38:54 AM  Show Profile
I don't actually have Tarot Cards but I have some "Spirit of the Horse" cards. They are similar to Tarot but not the same. I use them to give me clarity of a situation not to predict the future. They are beautiful and although I have tried several other decks of Tarot cards these are the ones that call to me. It is nice to have a forum where differing opinions can be stated. I have not been a farmgirl long but it has changed the way I think about myself and find it refreshing to hear different opinions offered.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  08:54:10 AM  Show Profile
Beth, is that similar to the "Touched by a Horse" deck? There are so many beautiful ways to tap into the parts of our minds that allow us to see ourselves and the situations around us more clearly. Sometimes just sitting still in a favorite room, or garden, or church or wherever you feel calm and safe, is all you need, but I do find that tarot cards or something like your horse cards, Kathryn's Medicine cards or something similar can give us the focus we need to turn special moments like that from mere day-dreaming to something of real spiritual value. Hey -- not that I'm knocking day-dreaming! :-)
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  3:45:46 PM  Show Profile
I have found this thread very interesting. I love how diverse our ideas are but how we share them in a friendly & loving way.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  4:12:45 PM  Show Profile
I was raised around them so they have never bothered me-my great grandmother and my mom were card readers in life. I've read the cards for myself & others since I was 19 but haven't read for others in quite a while. I have many decks but my fave right now is the "Druid Craft" Tarot. I think the Universe has many ways & paths of working thru us all according to what we feel most comfy with-what feels "personally right" to us in a spiritual sense. It does sadden me when I hear or read comments of "tarot is evil" & so on as I feel there's a real lack of tolerance present. As you've read that last sentence,please understand I don't want to start a debate with anyone, and I refuse to engage in any on this topic,as this is one of those topics that each has their opinion and no ones mind will be changed on either side of the fence. To each their own,and blessings & peace to all. :-)

http://www.mandochicks.com
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
@MandolinChick on Twitter
fingerpickin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  03:36:15 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary,'

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this post.

I'll check out the book.

Have also done some reading about Wicca. Totally different than what we speak of here, but interesting just the same

Like I said, I'm Christian, but like to read about stuff like this. To arm myself, to see what others know from their perspective and, mostly out of pure curiosity.

It's kind of hard to form an opinion about something if you haven't any clue about it!

Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  06:09:49 AM  Show Profile
Probably the last one to jump in here, but I don't agree with tarot cards at all, am also a Christian and they are just not for me. I agree they can be dangerous. But also, again, to each their own.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Tarot cards Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page