Page: of 2

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  9:22:46 PM  Show Profile
Personally, I don't like all the busy bodies in my business. Next they'll insist that we tell when we plant a garden. What's next?
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  07:40:55 AM  Show Profile
I wanted to bump this subject back to the top, and also comment.
I know I need to avoid political discussions, and I think this transcends politics and comes under the heading of basic human rights.
We all need to educate ourselves as much as possible about growing food, herbs, etc. I've been buying all the books I can find in thrift stores and used book stores about seed saving, making herbal compounds, heirloom seeds, etc. Over time, I've seen many kinds of vegetable seed disappear from the seed catalogs, mainly because of small sales and consolidation of companies. If you have an open pollinated variety that you trust and rely on, save the seed! If you don't know how, learn. That's where those old gardening books come in handy.
With what happens in Washington every 4 or 8 years, policies change. Growing a garden and feeding your family stays the same. It's, as I said, a basic human right. I've always believed, control the food and you control the people. Take control of your own food supply. It's the farmgirl way!

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  11:16:15 AM  Show Profile
thats just nuts. What about herbal soaps? How many folks are making body butters and shampoos and such. Etsy is just full of that kind of stuff.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  6:36:36 PM  Show Profile
If you want to know where this nonsense comes from, google Codex Alimentarius. While I agree that this is a political topic, it is also an attack on our right to choose what we put on and in our bodies, as well as a way of life for many people. here in canada the government is trying(again) to make it illegal to buy natural health products without a prescription. so for people like me and probably many of the rest of y'all, we would be subject to fines and/or jail time. making herbal products will be illegal if the bill passes. It is already illegal for me to sell a dozen eggs or other "farm gate" products. A local CSA recently lost 100s of gallons of fresh milk because it was deemed too dangerous for people to drink raw milk. This is happening all over Canada and no doubt will happen in the States too. OK, end of rant, just had to reply to this topic.

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  5:32:15 PM  Show Profile
I've read these posts with interest! As a new herbalist "wannabe", it definitely worries me that we may not be able to get herbs that are needed for much longer. I can see how important is to learn all we can about herbs now, and how to grow, harvest, store and use them.
I know so little.... but am excited to know more!! :)
Where is a good place to begin buying herb seeds?

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  9:49:15 PM  Show Profile
I think it is part of the "amusement park" mentality. People want to be entertained (or treated with herbal medicines) but don't want to take any risks at all- "the government" should protect them, just like when they go to Disney World - they want to be thrilled by the "risk" but don't really want any danger at all- if anything bad happens they think they should be entitled to sue someone.

Life isn't safe. It is all about taking risks. (Ask any farmer) Protecting the general population from risks costs a lot of tax dollars. Unfortunately consumers also don't want to pay the price in either goods or taxes....

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  9:50:24 PM  Show Profile
I guess that leads to the "underground"?

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~~**Terri**~~~
My blog is up again, please go and read....
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  5:43:21 PM  Show Profile
Another thought along this line is to learn the medicinal value of plants growing in the wild where you live. Here we have mullen for example. Study what it is good for etc.Be sure to properly identify it and see if there are laws against harvesting it. Echinecea cant be harvested on the side of the road here I'm told. If they make it where we cant buy the supplements we can know which food is high in what we need and get more of it into our diet. Just thoughts hopefully it wont come to that. I remember writing to my congressman 30 yrs ago when they were talking fda regs on herbs and vitamins. It isnt new.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  04:03:15 AM  Show Profile
It's almost like outlawing MJ simply b/c the governmnet can't get their cut. It's a natural herb too, and a mighty fine one at that especially for cancer and AIDS patients. Which BTW, this USED to be legal I think before the 1940's??

I can see it now, bootleg herbs and time served for treating something with a home remedy. "Yea, I;ve been sentinced for 2 years in jail for washing with an herbal soap and applying a comfrey poltace on my bruise."

Extreme and pathetic
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  12:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Truthfully most states already REQUIRE this but most people do not register their home business properly and do not follow these rules. In fact MOST states require that if you make any of these products that you must have a health department Certified kitchen that is dedicated Soley to these products! Meaning you cant cook family meals in this kitchen!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  03:29:27 AM  Show Profile
OK now that makes more sense, and is why I don't go bigger w/ my jams and jellies. The health dept would shut me down for sure, what w/ all the country dirt and dog hair on the floor

But boy what I wouldn't give for an all stainless steel kitchen just for this!
Go to Top of Page

cajungrammie
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

tina
dry prong la.
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  07:09:25 AM  Show Profile  Send cajungrammie a Yahoo! Message
wow what is next?big brother has to step in on everything.our world is based on greed these days.it is all about the money.we should start a seed coop and train each other to save seed and how to preserve what is so dear to us.big brother can't beat down a farmgirl!

Sometimes I think I know Everything!!Then I wake Up!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic FDA Guidlines on HERBS Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page