Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 Easy pea/bean trellises out of stuff we have!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Easy pea/bean trellises out of stuff we have! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  11:12:01 AM  Show Profile
I used Willow teepees and fencing for my peas and green beans for the last few years, but they've gotten a little wonky, so we were going to head over to the garden center and get some the night before last, but I said, "We've got an old wire fence gate..how about we use that for the peas?" and then my husband said, "yep, or I could cut that wire fence (the 4 x 4 blocks?) into a nice size, and use those fence stakes to stand it up..." and so he did.

And it looks phenomenal! Such an easy and "green" use of what we already have lying about the place.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  11:59:52 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a clever solution. Do you have any pictures?

We're growing beans and peas in my office. For Earth Day, we decided to do a retro-kindergarden planting project, and everyone has a few paper cups sprouting on our desks now. The peas are springing up especially fast, and one of my co-workers has rigged a desktop trellis with string and thumbtacks leading up the cubicle wall. It's almost always more fun to use what's on hand than to buy something.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  12:11:37 PM  Show Profile
It sure is...and that will work nicely! The peas are so cute the way they lasso on to whatever...but my peas were starting to lasso each other, so we had to get on it! The rain here has REALLY made them spring right up.

I don't have photos yet, but I plan to take some tomorrow and will post them either here or on the blog. I really like the way it looks--clean lines, and silver in the sun :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  4:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is great Jonni! We are using tree trimmings woven into a branch "fence" and the peas will grow onto it. :D I am really excited!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Easy pea/bean trellises out of stuff we have! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page