Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 Swine Flu is here
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Swine Flu is here Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  06:44:32 AM  Show Profile
They announced on the news yesterday that Swine Flu or whatever they are calling it now has 5 cases reported in my county.
Please pray that everyone here would keep healthy and that this pandemic would pass us by without touching us.
Thank you so much for your prayers. We are praying for the oh so many who are dealing with this and that it is put a stop to in short order,
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  06:50:03 AM  Show Profile
I'm keeping you in my thoughts. The good thing is, its controllable. It is here too. I'm not scared of it. Just lotsa hand washing and lysol!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  06:55:56 AM  Show Profile
It's here, too. They shut down a few schools in a city next to where I live. I just hope it stays away from my son's schools.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  07:28:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am with you Dawn. Lots of handwashing and I bought some hand sanitizer to put in my purse yesterday at the dollar store. Two good sized bottles for a dollar. I am just thankful we have the antiviral medicines now!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  07:47:02 AM  Show Profile
It seems crazy doesn't it. I have two toddlers with low immune systems. It seems that anything like this gets me spooked, first mad cow disease, then bird flu, now swine flu. I am so thankful that we are all watched over and thank goodness for modern science.:)

Is it safe to let my kids use hand sanitizer? What precautions should I use when taking the children out to places such as stores etc? Id appreciate suggestions. And I have a potty training toddler. What do I do when I go out? Is it best to go with her diaper clad until this all passes?

thanks girls!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  07:51:43 AM  Show Profile
Maybe I'm a worry wart but if I had concerns, I'd stay home and the store would be the last place I'd go...germ city! I don't believe in paranoia but caution is not a bad thing. Best wishes for health.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  07:56:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jessie- Your kiddos should be safe using hand sanitizer. Just tell them to rub it in good and give a good example of this yourself. When you go to the grocery store you could either leave them home or with family, or make sure to wipe down the cart really well and once they are in the cart, have them use the sanitizer. If they show any signs of getting sick, call the doctor's office right away and let them know your concerns and that they have weak immune systems. They might give you sterile swabs to do the test or they might just prescribe Tamiflu. Have all adults coming into the house wash their hands and face before hugging and kissing the kiddos (Most people forget the face part but if you have been sneezed on and then a kid kisses your cheek...)

I think you should be fine though! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  08:11:05 AM  Show Profile
Jessie, is South Jersey in the state of New Jersey? I checked the CDC website, and they do not list New Jersey or Rhode Island. So much for trusting the accuracy of that list! We have three suspected cases in FLorida, but they are not sure yet if it is the same virus.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  08:19:46 AM  Show Profile
It's in Idaho too and there are suspected cases in Spokane. I'm worried because my Andrew is diabetic and it would hit him extra hard, so I'm just praying and hoping that it passes us by. Stay healthy girls. Jessie *HUGS* take care of your self and dear family. You and all of my farmsisters are in my thoughts
Love and blessings to all of you

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  10:49:52 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry to hear that. We have only 1 documented case here in Michigan as far as I know today.

It's a scary thing....but you have to wash with good soap and water over and over and over and over. I have really been stressing that with my family during all of this.

When I was in college I did a paper on the the great pandemic (Spanish Influenza)....It was worldwide pandemonium and very scary.
For the cover of my paper I quoted a poem that was circulating around at that time....

I had a little bird her name was Enza
I opened the window and in flew Enza....

Hang tight! Keep close. Pull your kids from school if you can and remember soap and water!!!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  11:01:13 AM  Show Profile
Jeannie,
Yes South Jersey is in New Jersey. It is more the country part. Cumberland County reported five cases of swine flu, but no fatalities.
Crazy times my dear friends, Crazy times!!

hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

Chinook Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

63 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  1:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Chinook Cottage a Yahoo! Message
We have 1 case In our county so far

Chinook Cottage
http://chinookcottage.blogspot.com/
FarmGirl #553
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  11:08:30 AM  Show Profile
We have one case in our county too. Then, Wed evening my oldest got very sick...off to the doc on Thursday. Aches, 102 fever, sleeping non-stop. A little benedryl, ibuprofin, fluids and rest is what the doc ordered. He's on his feet today. Funny, I never had a serious thought that it could be swine flu.... Doc did ask if he had traveled recently though. My hubby is off to TX later this month. Flying. I think planes are horrible germ factories with their re-circulated air and all that.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  11:48:21 AM  Show Profile
Jessie, I am thinking of ya'll. You should be fine. Just stay home!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  12:07:08 PM  Show Profile
Theresa,
Encourage your DH to wear a mask o nthe plane. I know it's not very macho but neither is being sick and bringing it home to all of you. See you in Frankenmuth
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  1:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Well, the list on CDC continues to grow, and we have to pray that the strain will weaken as it goes along. Florida now has three confirmed cases. I know that seems sill when you think of the millions of people, but we have to be aware....my son-in-law is scheduled to go on a mission trip to Mexico in July! I pray by then they will either cancel it, or know it is safe to travel. I pray he does not go, but I know he will if the whole group goes!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  2:25:58 PM  Show Profile
I was reading an article, that President Obama says that we are not under as much threat as we thought. They are debating whether to treat this Swine Flu just the same as the normal "get it every year" type flu.
Wild that one moment we are under severe pandemic with schools closing down and the next minute, everyone is saying no big deal. Sorry, but if school are still closing, I am still being careful!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  06:10:38 AM  Show Profile
Some of this may be hitting those with weaker and compromised immune systems.

Still, i'll be refilling my mini bottles of hand sanatizer and placing these in the car, purse and bag for work.

and making sure to keep eating my leafy greens and exercising
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  04:17:40 AM  Show Profile
I think the media has taken a giant step to back away from this. There is nothing about it at all hardly! I have been checking the CDC website and the WHO website to get information. It is still growing quite a lot.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  5:46:52 PM  Show Profile
its sad cause the best thing to do is to close everything down. thats what mexico did and they have had a huge drop in numbers. but we aren't going to close down all the bussiness.i count money all day, and i have started using hand sanitizer 4 five times during my shift, i have a bad immune system, i have become very aware of touching my face and being around sick people. i hate it. :(

best of luck and many prayers to everyone.

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  4:37:08 PM  Show Profile
Our HS was closed down this week for 2 days because of a probable case in the building. I worked on Tues in my office though. Around noon they were closing for the week but then the CDC changed their policy on school closings and we got the notice to report for work on Wed. Hand washing is encouraged every day on the announcements and the building was disinfected. All teachers got a tub of antibacterial wipes and a bottle of sanitizer for their rooms. I actually managed to avoid my son's cold this week too! Woot for me! My immune system is compromised by some meds and I've been sick at least 3 times since Dec.... I'm SO glad I didn't get this last respiratory thing!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  5:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
T- I am so glad you missed being sick! Especially with your compromised immune system!

One good thing that might come out of this is perhaps it will retrain people to good handwashing standards. It's scary to think of how many kids weren't washing their hands if schools weren't suppling soap!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  7:34:04 PM  Show Profile
oh wow alee you just reminded me of something that happened today. i was in the restroom at work (seems to be where odd things happen) and this mother came in all in a huff with her daughter who couldnt have been more than four years old. the mother kept telling the girl to hurry up becuase "daddy's getting mad" which i thought was kinda sad cause they she was acting about it was a bit over eggaderated, but thats another story. so the litle girl does her bussiness and goes to wash her hands and the mother yanks her out of the bathroom telling her they dont have time for it.
even without the threat of this flu this would have bothered me. the little girl was relly upset about not washing her hands. not to mention its kinda gross. it amazes me how many people dont wash their hands ina public restroom and in front of other people too.

Karen ^_^

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  8:58:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Karen! That is so sad! That poor little girl! And it's gross about not washing your hands.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  5:54:23 PM  Show Profile
i really hope so.

but i really think the other issue was the way the girl reacted along with the way the mother was reacting towards her husband's anger. definitely think there's more going on in that family and i feel bad for the little girl.

Karen ^_^

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2901 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2901 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  06:33:11 AM  Show Profile

My BIL's sis, who is one of the the most informed, researched & educated people out there, sent this email..
"Be very skeptical of these media, government and so-called "health agencies" (WHO, CDC, etc.) reports and warnings. They are not accurate or timely and are being heavily influenced by lobbying from the factory pig farm industry, i.e., Smithfield Foods, and other big, moneyed players like Big Pharma. They are trying to create panic and fear to sell vaccines and they want to confuse matters by calling it influenza A (H1N1), instead of swine flu, when the original outbreak in Veracruz, Mexico was clearly linked to a huge, disgusting, inhumane, factory pig farm. These CAFO's (concentrated animal feeding operations) are all over the developing world, now, exported from America, thanks to "globalization". The government agencies also fail to report that their own policies put in place after 9/11 actually delayed and hampered the response to the real outbreak in Mexico! (I have another article on that if you are interested.) What they are selling is complete bull*%&. Don't believe it. This scam is a two-bagger for them: they can help their friends and benefactors, Big Pharma, to sell massive amounts of vaccines AND they can confuse people and divert attention from the factory pig farms, the real cause of the outbreak, for their friends and benefactors in the CAFO industry, like Smithfield Foods. I'm sure you already do, but take EVERYTHING they say with a huge mouthfull of salt! And do your own research, place no trust in the accuracy or truthfulness of mainstream media outlets or pronouncements from government agencies or officials. They do not work for us or in our best interest.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Swine Flu is here Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page