Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Staples storage for long term???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Staples storage for long term??? Next Topic  

Chinook Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

63 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  6:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Chinook Cottage a Yahoo! Message
How do you store bulk (loose)things like flour and sugar??

Do you use tupperware or keep it in the fridge??
I put it in the fridge but it tends to dry up(the sugar does)..
Thanks,Lisa

Chinook Cottage
http://chinookcottage.blogspot.com/
FarmGirl #553

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  6:35:07 PM  Show Profile
My solution is kind of weird but I had all the stuff for it already so it worked for me. I had a whole bunch of really big plastic storage totes so I keep my flour and sugar in the 25 or 50 pound bag it comes in inside of a plastic tote - they just fit under all the pantry shelves and I can just slide them out when I need them. It isn't very pretty but it was free - haven't really thought of a better solution yet. I have thought about 5 gallon buckets - food grade of course - but the lids are such a pain to get off and on, and if you don't latch them all the way mice can climb right in. There are also large bins that organic food stores use for 50 pounds of oats and such but they are fairly expensive so for now I'm sticking with this - I should mention that my pantry is cooler than the kitchen too.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  8:02:07 PM  Show Profile
I have gotten the 5 gal buckets and use them for flour and sugar, etc.

**one thing I definitely do before I store anything like flour, pasta, cake mixes, any mixes for that matter, beans, etc., is I put them in the freezer(we have a chest freezer) for a week to be sure it gets good and frozen all the way through. Then I take them out and put in the buckets. The reason I do this is to kill the little bolweevil eggs that are naturally in that stuff. If it is small packages of those things I only freeze for 24 hours. Freezing before storing makes sure that you don't get those nasty little black bugs in your food and have to throw it out. I learned the trick at a tupperware party many years ago and have never had a problem since.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  8:23:18 PM  Show Profile
I also heard if you put bay leaves in your bulk foods it will deter bugs - heard that from a customer when I was the bulk foods manager at the store I work at, haven't tried it myself
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  06:23:47 AM  Show Profile
I store mine in the freezer.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  07:46:55 AM  Show Profile
I store my whole wheat flour in the shop refergerator. I have stored it for over a year with no problem with bugs. But freezing it first sounds like a good idea. I use the vaccume sealer for bags of sugar. Seal bag and all. Most other things I just store in plastic totes in the pantry or celler.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  10:21:41 AM  Show Profile
Short term- things go in the freezer to kill any unwanted pests. Long term- I put my flour in a canning jar, add an oxygen pack and lid it. The oxygen pack helps to seal the jar and kills pests. (No oxygen, no breathing, no bugs.) OR, I go to our local LDS cannery and put it in #10 cans. Sugar does not need an oxygen pack. It will make it hard as a brick.

Oh- You can find oxygen packs at any emergency preparedness website.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  5:20:33 PM  Show Profile
tupperware works for me!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  05:41:29 AM  Show Profile
If there is room in the freezer that's were I keep my flour but mostly it is in large white food grade pails. I keep my flour, sugar and oats in these. Never had a buggy problem but then I keep the lid on tight too. Been doing this for years.
Tammyb 541
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Staples storage for long term??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page