Londa
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Londa
Savona NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  4:21:59 PM  Show Profile
Would someone be able to explain to me the differenct between raw sugar and white sugar? I use raw, because someone told me it was better. Is this true? I get mine at Wegmans (grocery store here) and the box says it is from Hawaii.

Your opinions appreciated

Blessings.

Londa

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  4:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sweeteners? Turbinado? Raw Sugar? Brown Sugar? Sucanat?
I have had people ask me questions involving these different sugars. Is raw sugar a good sugar substitute? What is the difference between sucanat and turbinado? Is brown sugar better than white sugar?

Let’s start with white sugar; it is highly refined cane juice. All nutrients have been removed and chemicals have been added during the different stages of the refining process.

Next, brown sugar is the same refined white sugar with molasses added to it. I believe it tastes better but is not better for you than white sugar.

Now turbinado sugar and raw sugar is the same thing. It is not really raw; it is just less refined than white sugar. It does have a small amount of nutrients left in it. It has been said to metabolize the same as white sugar making it NOT a good substitute if you are diabetic, watching your weight, improving your health, or not wanting your kids to get a sugar rush. It is better than white if you are looking for something that is closer to its natural state. I don’t personally use it.

Finally, sucanat is unrefined cane sugar. It is processed less than turbinado and a lot less than white sugar. It has more nutrients than turbinado. The natural molasses is still intact, and makes an excellent substitute for brown sugar. It does metabolize slower than white sugar but not enough to make it safe for diabetics or people that have to watch their blood sugar levels including kids prone to getting hyper and losing concentration. It is definitely a better choose than white sugar if you are wanting to eat more natural and improve your health, but remember it is still sugar so it should be used in moderation. I use this occasionally, and I have been able to use it to replace white sugar as while as brown sugar.

I use honey and pure maple syrup in recipes whenever I can. My kids due better with these sweeteners, so that leads me to believe that they metabolize slower than sucanat, and definitely slower than white sugar.

A completely safe (even for diabetics) natural alternative to white sugar is stevia, but that will be in a different article. I use stevia regularly.

I hope this clears up the possible confusion. Michelle
http://askmichelleabouthealth.blogspot.com/2008/04/sweeteners-turbinado-raw-sugar-brown.html

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  6:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Great Explaination Alee

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  6:32:16 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Rene' very good Alee... I also use stevia.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  7:02:56 PM  Show Profile
All I use is sucanot for baking and coffee. Although I tried using it to make jelly last year. It does not work. It did not gel or thicken. More like a syrup. So had to use white sugar. But I am so used to suc. thai I cannot use white for other things.

That is a good explanation. Thanks.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  7:58:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee for the info, is there a ratio for changing the sugar in recipes for honey? Have you ever made jelly using honey instead of sugar? Say I wanted to make chocolate chip cookies which call for 3/4 cup of white and brown sugar what amount of honey would I use? Any info would be appreciated. Toni
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  8:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When substituting honey for sugar in a recipe, simply substitute honey cup for cup in place of sugar. As a rule reduce the liquid by a ¼ cup for every cup of honey used. In baked goods add ½ tsp. of baking soda for every cup of honey used and reduce oven tempeture 25 degrees than instructions call for. In cookie recipes using eggs and no additional liquid, increase the flour by 2 tablespoons per cup of honey or enough flour to give the desired consistency. Chill before shaping and baking.

Helpful Hint: Honey can be measured easily by using the same cup used for measuring the oil in a recipe or by coating a cup or spoon with non-stick vegetable spray. Baked goods with honey brown faster and crisp faster than sugar batter.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Londa
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Londa
Savona NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  11:26:00 AM  Show Profile
THanks so much for that great explanation! I think I'll look for some STEVA. Its pretty expensive, though isn't it. Also, I printed off the ratio for honey. What a great help!

Blessings!

Love, Londa
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  7:31:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Alee, you are a fountain of information, how do remember it all?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  7:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Toni- I Google things non-stop! LOL If I could make a living doing searches I would be a millionaire! I love information, and I love discovering new things. Somethings I know I have looked up before so I kindof know what search string to use or where to start looking.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  4:00:56 PM  Show Profile
Londa, I have only known ONE person in my life with that name. Did you by chance grow up in Chippewa Lake Ohio?

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  05:43:39 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Alee, but I would add Agave syrup. My hubby likes this pretty well.

Tammyb 541
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Raw or White Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page