Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Early--ideas for First Time Father's Day gift?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Early--ideas for First Time Father's Day gift? Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  08:26:13 AM  Show Profile
My husband is becoming increasingly difficult to buy for, even for Christmas, so I am STUMPED as to what to get him for father's day. It's such a poignant one because it will be his first, and I want it to obviously be special. I know he's wracking his brains for Mother's day and keeps dropping little hints, which makes my "blank slate" worse!!!

What have you gals done for dh's and s.o's? We always combined my dad's b-day and father's day gifts because it was the same week--he liked to fly, so we always got him flying lessons. My dh is afraid of heights

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  09:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well Jonni- You have some great options. You could go to one of those paint your own ceramic places with Violet and put her little and and food prints all over a picture frame, bowl, mug or whatever. Another thing you could look into would be some more WW2 things. I could see if my grandfather still has a copy of his self published autobiography. I know Jus was interested in that a while back. I could also get you the name of the publisher of the "Retail Gang" the book that has so much information about the fighter squadrons in WW2.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  09:23:14 AM  Show Profile
Alee....great suggestions! Especially the one about your grandad....would you? could you? I think that would really thrill him beyond belief. I would also like to go to one of the pottery places and make him something. My painting leaves a lot to be desired, but it's supposed to be from Violet, right? :)

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  09:36:00 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,

Take a picture of your honey and Violet in Black & White and frame it. I think that would be precious.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  09:39:17 AM  Show Profile
A picture of Violet and him in a pretty frame. Then every year for fathers day you could place a new picture over the old one and when she's getting married take them all out and post them in order or show them on a wall while they dance the daddy daughter dance. Or a tie.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  1:18:50 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,
Tell us more about him. I need more info like how old, hobbies, what does he do. Does he like sports, hunting, cars, motorcycles... what kind of music?
Some not-knowing-anything-about-him suggestions: Making a special cd collection of his favorite songs and if he likes Tim Mcgraw include the song "MY LITTLE GIRL"(super easy to do on itunes), or get a photo album, decorate the cover with a "wonderful dad theme" and put a few recent photos of the family, then every year add a new section... or how about go to a craft store, get a wooden box, paint it with something he likes (say he likes fishing) with fish painted on it, Paint (or carve, wouldn't be hard as the boxes are apretty soft wood) DAD or FATHER on it an put a few momentos in it and suggest adding more small meaningful things.
I also love taking a nice bottle of wine and making my own personalized label for it. just cut out a piece of paper the same size as the existing label and make your own and glue it over the label it came with. Design with any graphics programs on your computer or use a xerox of a photo of you and Violet and decorate for Happy Fathers Day.
I can think of more if I knew what he is into.
Rosemary

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  1:33:38 PM  Show Profile
Let's see, Rosemary....about him. He's incredibly intelligent, bordering on brilliant--loves to read, loves history and politics. He's very artistic--went to college for journalism and political cartooning, but ended up a very talented singer songwriter (who is currently in a "hate/hate" relationship with his music. Not music, just HIS music :))...He loves making model airplanes, specificaly WWII era--but he has so many of those, and he buys what he wants himself. And, so that's not an option because it's not unique enough. I like the idea of the wine with my own label--he REALLY loves a good tawny port. Maybe I'll splurge on the 40 year :)

He's quirky--he wears vintage shirts and Buddy Holly glasses, so he likes a lot of retro things, but not if they're contrived.

So, in sum, Rosemary, he's a very smart, interesting, but rather difficult person (to buy for :))

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2903 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2903 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  2:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Jonni
I have a friend that does photo assisting for my sis & her hubby. She has a son & daughter; the son is about 2 yrs older than the daughter. Well, ever since the little girl was a baby, she has done this yearly (the kids are now about 7 & 10ish.) She bought a super cool vintage dress for the girl;(adult sized) & a vintage suit for the boy(also adult sized). Every year she poses them in these outfits in different settings. It is beyond great. Every year the clothes fit a lttle better, & she prop styles them to the hilt, different each year. It is absolutely adorable.
The first year when her daughter was a baby was just a hoot, but the theme runs on & on, & of course one day they will fit into the clothes.
You could even put Violet into one of your old tutus(if you still have one) & take pics each year.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  4:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lisa- that is such a cute Idea!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  1:29:22 PM  Show Profile
Hello Jonni,
Here are my new ideas after hearing a bit about your husband.
If you own your home and plan to stay there... buy a tree, whatever kind is good for your area, plant it the day before fathers day and maybe carve initials, date, something in the trunk, if you are't planning on staying where you are, maybe an indoor tree... ficus, schefflera, something that lives forever and movable, again, carve something on trunk,
Another idea, get some finger paints and let Violet create a piece of art for her daddy, frame it, and/or do a t-shirt transfer and make him a one-of-a kind t-shirt or....
And this one isn't real fathersday-ie but maybe he'd like a signed copy of YEAGER, the autobiography of amazing ww2 pilot, Chuck Yeager. I'm confused if your husband or your father was into flying. I too, don't care for heights, but it is different feeling in a plane. I got my pilots license and love it.
There's always the Sundance Catalog and some cool retro stuff in the men's section.
Good luck
Rosemary

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  7:14:10 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,
Last year for my DH, I did pictures of the children holding letter spelling out the word Daddy in different poses. Tori had a "D" sitting in a flower pot while she was sniffing the flowers, Levi was on a tire swing holding an "A". You get the idea. What about something like that with little violet. Different places she loves with little letters. Of course, she's small so the letters would have to be small so as not to take away from her. :D

hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  05:54:40 AM  Show Profile
I really love the tree idea, Rosemary. Both my husband and my late father are into flying--one likes to stay on the ground, though (my husband)...I guess he lives vicariously through his WWII model planes and tons of WWII documentaries and books.

Jessie...in addition to the tree, you know what I was thinking? It's sort of like what you mentioned--what about taking photos of her in little white onsies with "D" "A" "D" "D" "Y" individually on them, taking pics of her in the garden, in her crib, in the bathtub, in her boppy, etc...

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  06:06:00 AM  Show Profile
I've always had a hit with outlining my dd's hand on wood and then painting it.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  06:37:09 AM  Show Profile
Jonni that would adorable! I thought of that with the onesies, but I couldn't think how to phrase it that she needed to spell it out on her onesie. Not to mention I wasnt creative enough to figure out how you were going to get them there..hehe.

Dawn--I think that maybe what we are going with this year ;)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Early--ideas for First Time Father's Day gift? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page