TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  5:33:17 PM  Show Profile
Just wondering if anyone else has read Jane Goodall's wonderful new book "Harvest for Hope"?

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  8:42:59 PM  Show Profile
No, but I read the one before that..the title escapes my mind at the moment. Basically, anything she writes is an outstanding read.. what were your thoughts about it? Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  7:09:09 PM  Show Profile
I have to be honest - a light bulb really went off in my head.The book details all the ways food plays a part in our life - from pesticides, herbicides, erosion, factory farming, over fishing, GMO's, etc and what we can do to stop the erosion of small farmers and the enviornment. We have been planning our garden as organic but have not really lived an organic life. The book actual scares me but at the same time is inspirational because at each chapter she gives you things that individuals can do. The section on GMO crops really blew me away!

It is excellent--what was the book you read about?
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  07:31:36 AM  Show Profile
Hey Dawnn, how in the world do you have time to read?? I haven't read Jane Goodall's new book, but she is one of the people in this world who never fails to inspire me. Her life is incredible and her contributions enormous. I'll put this one on my list. Know what ya mean about the organic thing...my garden has always been organic, but...well, I enjoy many non-organic aspects of my existence...working on that!

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  6:53:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rebekah (did you (do you) have a nickname growing up?)...I love to read and probably because of law school I read very fast. I read most of Jane's book on the flight home from Washington, D.C. on Monday. She is wonderful, isn't she? Hey you now have "True Blue Farmgirl" status!! How long have you been gardening? Its been really fun planning our garden - I just hope we are not too ambitious - its going to be huge!! I can't wait to get going on it but we are still waiting for our house to sell...ugh!
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2006 :  05:51:20 AM  Show Profile
I'm currently reading her book. I just got it from the library. The section I'm on right now probably wasn't a good idea to read last night before falling asleep. I had bad dreams all night. Even though a lot of what she was describing I've read before it still makes me sick to my stomach.
I wish I could get hubby to read it, I think he'd stop drinking milk in a heartbeat.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Harvest for Hope Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page