Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  4:35:59 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a remedy for Gallstones? I have still got mine. My insurance doesnt kick in for another few months. And I have been having attacks once a month....And they are terrible...It usually takes me the next day to get over the night before. I hope someone can help with a remedy or herbal supplement..
Thanks
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it

Patty MorningRamble
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Patty
Keene TX
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  5:02:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Deborah,
There are a few gallbladder cleanses out there but they run some risk. I did one and ended up having a stone stuck in a duct which resulted in surgery with the Dr telling me that is quite common with those cleanses. When I did the cleanse, which did result in the passing of several stones, I was so hopeful that it would take care of the problem but in the long run, it made my eventual surgery a tiny bit more complicated.
You can try avoiding foods that seem to cause a flare up such as the which seem to include caffeine, chocolate, eggs, dairy products (especially ice cream) and greasy or deep fried foods

Patty

http://morningramble.blogspot.com/
http://morningramblegifts.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  6:58:03 PM  Show Profile
I have gallstones and have had them for over a year. I can't have surgery now due to no insurance. The best thing that I did was go on a very low fat diet. I haven't been following that lately and have had two attacks in the past month. It's back to low fat for me. Personally, I would not try anything herbally unless it was supervised by a naturopath or a doctor. You can run into serious health problems if you get a stone stuck in a duct.

Handmade Soap & Lotion Bars http://www.therusticcottagebath.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  10:27:14 PM  Show Profile
My BFF has gallbladder issues. She takes milk thistle. I will ask her more about it when I talk to her next.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  11:50:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh my golly...you girls have my deepest sympathy. I can't believe you have to suffer through gallbladder attacks. They're so awfully painful!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  1:08:26 PM  Show Profile
Can you guys describe the symptoms of a gall bladder attack? I had something weird happen to me earlier this spring. I had strange stomach pain and discomfort (seemed like it was coming from every part of my digestive tract) every day for a month straight, and then it went away just as suddenly as it started. Do you think I might be getting gallstones?
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  12:03:01 PM  Show Profile
Tere is a remedy in "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" which is olive oil followed by lemon juice. I can't remember the proportions and can't find my book. (so I'm not really much help, am I?) But it worked for me and saved me from surgery.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  3:36:01 PM  Show Profile
Amie, Where I feel it first is near my diaphram. Then it radiates to my back between my shoulder blades. And it starts to hurt in my mid back below the shoulder blades. It lasts all night and the next day I am weak and I feel like someone has punched me repeatly in the stomach....Well now I am scared to get anything from the Herb store. The Herb store I was going to go to is owned by a Natureopath and a nurse. But still scared... I know it will be sure I will have to have surgery. I just got insurance from where I work. But I will have to wait until I have time off. So the longer I wait the better. Also to save money for it.
Thanks Ladies
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  8:50:29 PM  Show Profile
I have had gall stones for a few years now, when they act up I go get acupuncture treatments and take herbs that help dissolve the stones. They are chinese herbs that the naturopath prescribes, I have heard bad things about the gall bladder "cleanses" too, and I REALLY want to avoid surgery as most people who have their gallbladder removed still have pain. Another side effect from surgery is "Dumping syndrome" Doesn't that sound like fun? Good Luck with your pain, it's the worst! my pain is on the right side under my outer ribs and diaphram area too, it radiates and I can hardly do anything for a day or so.

Cherian
Go to Top of Page

mustanggrl0526
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Becky
Cottonwood Heights UT
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  06:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Send mustanggrl0526 a Yahoo! Message
I have the same book "Prescription for Nutritional Healing", It says if you have an attack, drink 1 tablespoon of apple cider in a glass of apple juice. For stones take 3 tablespoons of olive oil with the juice of one lemon before bed and when you wake up. With this technique the stones are often passed and eliminated in the stool and to look for them. To relieve acute pain use hot castor oil packs on the gallbladder area. Drinking distilled water may also help.

You can't be a smart cookie if you have a crumby attitude.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  06:43:41 AM  Show Profile
The only way to be healed of gallstones is to have the gallbladder removed. I suffered for over ten years, and had mine out 6 years ago. What a difference! No more pain and I can eat! I hope you can get your insurance to the place where you can have this done. It is not a bad surgery either. Until then, a very low fat diet, and drink lots of water. I practically stopeed eating altogether for awhile there. Praying for you! It hurts bad, and always took me a day or two to get over an attack, too.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Oct 10 2009 06:44:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  07:49:22 AM  Show Profile
The Dr told me to avoid spicy food too. My gallbladder is gone now. The surgery isnt bad. WHen mine hurt it was knock you on the floor type pain. The first time I thought it was a heart attack. I call ed 911.

Watch your foods and drink warm drinks with your meals. It is supposed to help pass any fats through your system better than a cold drink.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  7:28:08 PM  Show Profile
I was in the hospital in May for 3 weeks. I had 4 surgeries...and it was the 4th that they had to open me up...large scare now..but still having some problems. Just my weird anatomy...I think I made another post...But i thank all of you for your responses.
Thanks again
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  9:32:44 PM  Show Profile
Boy 4 surgeries. oh my yulk!!! Hope youa re feeling much better now....Why so many?? I had my gallbladder out in 95 and yes sometimes I have the dumping syndrome but I don't have roll over in pain syndrome anymore...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  07:53:39 AM  Show Profile
Beverly, They tried to take it out through the belly button...they got the gallbladder but couldnt get through the duck..so they tried again the next day...and couldnt..then the 3rd day they tried a procudure that they go through the liver to see it the could get it through the back side...no luck..so the only option was to open me up. then the doc said he had to slice the duct open. it was like it was filled with cement. He scraped it out and stiched it back up. That is the 4 surgeries...not to good. but yes I do feel better...no more terrible pain anymore. but I would really like to have a normal BM more than 2 times a week...I know TMI...lol
Thanks
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Stacy K.
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Stacy
temple PA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  05:36:31 AM  Show Profile
Wow, what experiences. Had my gallbladder out 8 years ago. Regret it, lost the pain but gained 38 pounds that I can not seem to lose. I am a naturopath studying to be a master herbalist. There are herbs we can use for the gallbladder but under supervision is wise. Personal belief God put it in there so it was meant to be there but I also understand when your in pain there is only so much time to try to learn what to do. Also sadly we have lost a lot of herbal wisdom to know what to use when. Chamomile tea made strong seemed to help with attacks and inflammation.... use apple cider vinegar and apple cider to help with digestion now. Sometimes fancy some fresh sauerkraut to help with a heavy meal. Another thing we lost was knowledge of fermented foods that help aid the digestion of fats and heavy foods. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  6:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Stacy, My son-in-law just brought me some homemade souerkraut from his uncle in Kentucky. I cant wait to eat some. Thanks for the info.
Deborah

Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Gallstones Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page