CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  1:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Saw on our local news today that several band students from a high school "over the hill" from me were sent home today after returning yesterday from a cruise to Cozumel. It's "strictly a precaution". While I believe the media is up to its usual scare tactics, I say better to be prepared for any eventuality! Fortunately, school will be out in two weeks here so my daughter will be home more and we live in a fairly isolated area.

~~Cherry~~

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  2:53:42 PM  Show Profile
I was a young newlywed in the late 60s during the Hong Kong flu epidemic. There were no meds to help then and no antivirals. I have never been so sick in my life!!! DH and I quarantined ourselves in our apartment and Mom would drop off soup and ginger ale outside our door. We wouldn't open the door until we knew she was gone.
It was bad. so, yeah, I'm concerned because I'm a whole lot older. But...... I plan to keep my immnity up and have the positive attitude that I am not going to get it, although 1 case has been confirmed in our county.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  3:14:08 PM  Show Profile
I believe in being prepared and I believe in prayer.
I have many diseases and conditions
so; I will try to take the percauations I can. hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  4:54:00 PM  Show Profile
I think it's good to be prepared for anything. We started a small stockpile shelf in our basement and are slowly adding to it and will rotate it. There have been times when I have been sick or we have been low on money and I couldn't go shopping and it was a lifesaver (not quite literally!) to have food on hand in the house. So I think everyone should have a stockpile of food and water.
That being said, while this flu could be serious for many people I think the media is creating huge hype around it. Wasn't it in the 60s or 70s that there was a huge swine flu scare and more people were dying from the vaccination than the actual flu? I bet the drug companies are loving this one.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  8:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Doug and I are still not to worried about it. It is killed off by Tamiflu and our country has a lot of the drug manufactured and available. That being said, we are going to buy some MJF Food every paycheck since it has a 2 year shelf life. That way we always have something quick and healthy for nights when we don't feel good, or I have homework, or whatever. And if our little town gets the swine flu then we will have things to eat with out having to go out. I think people feel more scared when they don't have access to necessities-like food and water.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  11:28:50 PM  Show Profile
Nikki, I got the flu when the space shuttle blew up and I will never forget that! I was 16 at the time. I had it a 2nd time several years back. Horrible! Horrible!

I smiled about you saying you're going to learn to can, hunt, and garden! Remember Y2K? I was in total lockdown mode! We were renting a house while building our current house and I had an entire room devoted to provisions! The hubs never got on board with my panic-stricken state and was none too happy about having to move all that stuff! BUT, I didn't have to buy tp for six months!

But seriously, like most of you, I am gettin' fed-up with the government. These big money companies have way too much power. I thought our forefathers created a government "for the people, by the people", not "for the people, by big money capitalists"! The thing about it is, sooner rather than later there will be a true global epidemic of some strain of flu that will be the same as the Hong Kong flu that Michelle mentioned that killed millions of people or the one that happened in or around 1908 that killed millions of people and people will have become indifferent because the media/government hyped up so much the bird flu and this and it'll be catastrophic. You can cry "wolf" only so many times.

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  05:46:14 AM  Show Profile
It never hurts to be prepared, and that goes for the government as well. I'd rather see them scrambling now and brushing up on emergency procedures than just ignoring it and telling us not to worry. Of course, I don't get CNN so maybe I haven't really seen the hype you all are referring to.

We have cases of the swine flu in our county, and so far it seems to be mild. But my husband tells me that this is the same pattern followed by the strain of the virus in the 1918 pandemic. It came around in the spring and was a relatively mild virus, but then it spread again in the fall and that time around it was deadly. His great-grandfather was one of the people who died.

So we are keeping an eye on what happens, and making sure that we have enough food on hand that we could avoid shopping for a few weeks. If we don't need to do that, we can always use the food later.
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  05:56:53 AM  Show Profile
If people would just stay home when they are sick and keep their sick kids home, the spread of anything would be a lot less.
One of my adult kids is a Kindergarten Teacher and the other 2 work in restaurants. I worry about them because of their contact with others. You wouldn't believe how many sick kids are in my daughter's class and they can't send them home unless they have a high fever. Seems to me if a kid has a green runny nose, they are probably contagious.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  07:12:56 AM  Show Profile
Don't you hate it when you KNOW who made you sick!?

Same thing happened a few years ago at the grocery store.

Had I seen the red nose and weepy eyes of the checker gal, i'd have bypassed her lane w/o question!

And sure enough, a few days later I had the same thing. OOhhh made me so mad!

And yes, I did stay home from work!

Heard of the first death of the swine flu just a few minutes ago. Can't remember the state here in the U S , but it was a child who was under 2.

Along with hand washing and sinatizers, it's good to keep drinking liquids....especially as it starts getting warmer now. I got a head cold from being inside an air conditioned building and being surrounded by second hand smoke. end of the evening, i was pretty dry and needed a swig or two of water. My nose was all dried out too. (but hey, the concert was great!)

The mucus our nose produces helps to get the germs out. Same reaon why if you fly, it's good to bring along saliene and snort this 1/hour and to keep drinkng non alcaholic liquids while in the air..

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  07:20:14 AM  Show Profile
I do believe a lot of this is media hype however I agree with the seriousness of certain strains of flue. I was only third grade when I got the Hong Kong flu and that just about laid me out - I was sick for nearly three weeks. Part of the problem is lack of options - people can't keep their kids home because they have no one to care for them and they can't risk losing their jobs by missing work - a serious conundrum. My grandaughter was pretty sick and the medical people who saw her didn't test her for flu and that was just two days ago...

I always have supplies in the house. I have a lot of home canned/frozen foods as well as staples - flour, yeast, sugar, rice, dry beans. When it's a long drive for a gallon of milk (16 miles round trip) you tend to make sure you have back up if the weather should take a turn or whatever.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  11:31:08 AM  Show Profile
Just to put this in perspective, while this is a new type of flu circulating, in the typical year 35,000 Americans die from the flu or complications. So hearing about a death is scary but it isn't some super bug that kills off everyone, it's just going around right now like all the other typical flu bugs do.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  1:27:16 PM  Show Profile
Cherry, that is so weird. I was home sick on the day the Challenger blew up, too. I don't remember what I had. Probably, strep throat.

My step-dad and mom were super prepared for Y2K, even though he is a computer programmer and was one of the ones who said there was nothing to worry about. Go figure. They had shelves full of canned foods. Later my mom ended up passing quite a bit on to me. Let me just say, I DON'T LIKE CANNED HAM!

What I am concerned about is not just getting sick, but what will happen to our entire society's infrastructure if a significant number of the population is sick. I mean, I read Stephen King's The Stand and I've read historical accounts of yellow fever epidemics. It is not pretty. Food isn't preapared, packaged and delivered. Garbage isn't collected. Gas isn't delivered. Just imagine what would happen if a quarter of the population was sick and another quarter was taking care of them and the other half were over there shivering in the corner hoping that they wouldn't be next.

That is why I am all of a sudden thinking, "Dang, when it comes down to it, I sure don't know anything that is truly important! I know a lot of useless facts and trivia, but you can't eat them or survive on them." I would feel a lot more assured if I had some survival skills; everyone would do well to know a few. But of course, I do actually think that it would be fun to learn to fish and can and hunt. I am enjoying my new little garden. There is much satisfaction in learning to do for yourself.

So it all goes back to KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. HA!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  4:51:38 PM  Show Profile
Not sure if it'll get bad enough to where we WILL need to stay home and live off stocked provisions, but it's NOT entirely media hype...

My BF's father is a doctor in Tacoma...and they're giving hospitals a heads up about the seriousness of this...

It's just concerning because of how quickly it's spread from country to country.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com

Edited by - Prairie Princess on Apr 29 2009 4:52:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2909 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2909 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  5:29:06 PM  Show Profile
I have been so busy with work, on the road all day, that being forced to stay home sounds great to me!!
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  05:18:29 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
We have lots of canned food and well I guess water would be outta the tap. We have enough rags if we needed toilet paper tee hee and I think we have EVERYTHING we need. I was like heck no we're not ready when I first read this, then as I thought about it, we're all set! WHEW. I too think the media is making a HUGE deal out of something that is NOT as bad as they say.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  07:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well it has officially hit Europe and New Zealand.

One of the best resources for canning is the Ball Blue Book. They are not very expensive. A water bath canner is good for most things- a pressure canner is expensive so maybe check to see if someone you know has one.

I am really looking forward to Farmer's Market season. I am going to buy a case of something each week and take it home and can. We don't do much jelly or jam around here but having home canned fresh peaches will be nice!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  07:31:13 AM  Show Profile
I don't think it is ALL hype. Just heard on the news that there are 100 schools closed here in the US. Now they have a problem with all these kids being out of school and the working parents are scrambling to find baby sitters.

My daughter works at our Community College. I was in to see her yesterday and every desk in the office had a bottle of hand sanatizer sitting on it. I had to go to Walmart so I bought some disinfectant wipes for the house and car. I already have a bottle of hand wash in the car. Used it everytime I got back in the car.

I think if anyone is needing to stock up they should do it NOW! I'm guessing that we might have a couple of weeks before we know if this thing is what they are saying it is. If so, it will be too late to stock up.
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  07:55:31 AM  Show Profile
Nikki, did you hear the state health head-honcho on the news this morning? He advised parents to have a plan in place for extended school closings. He also said that if you feel sick to NOT go to your doctor's office, but to call first so they can just call you in something if they feel based on your symptoms that you might have it because they do not want you in their office around other patients if there's the slightest chance you might have it. YIKES!

The optimist in me wants to believe that too much is being made about this, but part of me is beginning to think that maybe I should take it more seriously. Especially in light of what Amie and Jodi say here. But then I think about what Elizabeth said and I don't know. Sometimes the media tells us way too much and sometimes I feel like they're keeping something from us. Know what I mean?

Did anyone else hear that Egypt's going to kill all of their pigs? Now is that intelligent preventative measures or taking it to an extreme? How can you know?

And has anyone else thought about how this is going to affect border control? The US already has an issue with illegal immigrants coming over from Mexico, don't you think there're going to be even more wanting to get here to escape getting it and unknowingly bringing it with them?

I suppose I'm just gonna take stock of my pantry and medicine cabinet and fill in the gaps. And I won't be buying canned ham either, Nikki!

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  08:01:45 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Honestly, if it gets that bad, I can break my lease and I will being to Kentucky to be with Scott. Being former military and having lived through smallpox scares and vaccinations, possible weapons of mass destruction poisionous gas and getting so many shots for things that someday with probably make my left boobe fall off and seeing people literally freak out over nothing, everything has to be taken with a grain of salt and caution. Just be vigilant but try to keep yourself busy and your mind busy. : )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  10:07:30 AM  Show Profile
I wish they would go ahead and close the schools. We really only have two more full weeks to go and do you honestly think that any learning is going to go on during that time? They are done with testing and now they are just coasting until it is over. Is it worth having them in there and potentially exposing them to this virus? I don't think so..

Heather, you made me laugh! Your left boobie fall off! Sounds like you have been through everything! And I wouldn't be surprised if everyone's boobies fell off with the garbage that we eat, breathe, and drink!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  11:17:07 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Having lived aboard ship for over 3 years of my life, one learns to handle crisis pretty well. I remember I could not get the smallpox vaccine because I thought I was pregnant and had to wait for my test to come back. Meanwhile, here I am, living in confined quarters with some pretty unclean females (trust me, females are far worse in hygiene on a ship than males...go figure, just going day by day. They made me hang a sheet over my rack (bed) to signal I was not immunized. Talk about paranoid people!!! I have been to the lovely Persian Gulf twice and God only knows what I inhaled, ingested or picked up from over there. I worry mostly about Charlie and all you ones. Ain't no pig taking me down!! I am too close to graduating!!! Darn it!!! : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  12:06:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh, wow! You must have been in the Navy. We watched "Carrier" on PBS and were very impressed with the dedication of the young men and women who served aboard. I was so proud of them, watching them hold up under considerable pressure day-in and day-out, diligently doing their jobs however menial and working toward moving up in the ranks. I wish that they would produce more of those types of shows so that the American public could fully appreciate what a TREASURE we have in our military. THANK YOU! (if I am correct in assuming that you were/are in the armed forces)

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  2:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Nikki...thank you...I do appreciate it. Yes, I was on 2 different carriers. It certainly is a different life. : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  8:41:54 PM  Show Profile
I've not went out and bought up any groceries, but as far as being prepared we have our cabin that we can stay at. It's actually my little getaway as many of you know or have seen on my blog. But we have made sure if our electric goes out in a bad snowstorm ect. that we will be warm and cozy there. It's completely primitive and we have a woodburning cookstove that is wonderful to cook on. My bathtub as of right now is a big trough that I set out on the porch to bathe in the summer. Soooo nice on a summer evening.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

"Courage is being scared to death... but saddling up anyway" ***John Wayne

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/iloveyoumom

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  9:39:13 PM  Show Profile
Nikki, I laughed at the picture Heather painted, too! And Heather, I echo Nikki's sentiments. Ya'll are desperately underappreciated and not acknowledged as you should be! Hats off to you, Girl, and heartfelt gratitude being sent your way!

I wholeheartedly agree with the school closings. My baby girl's a junior in high school and right now they're watching movies everyday in 3 out of 4 of her classes. That 4th class is Spanish and the teacher taught my husband and his older brother and she gives "old school" new meaning! They'll have classwork right up to the very last day of school! I'm a bit nervous because she went to the Crawfish Boil in Birmingham tonight where there were hundreds of people. I told her to stay away from anyone coughing and to wash her hands then wash them again!

I kind of thought most of they hype would have died down by now. Maybe that was wishful thinking.

Mikki, that tub on the porch sounds heavenly!

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What if?? Are you prepared? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page