Previous Page
Author Outpost: Previous Topic Sleeping Outside Next Topic
Page: of 2

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  03:34:58 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Karen! Thanks. We enjoyed it so much! We want to do it again, but it has rained so much we haven't been able to find a dry night since!

Oh, about something biting your back side. I have to look in the toilet when I go at night because I'm afraid of snakes, having heard stories of them getting into people's toilet. I don't know how that could possibly happen here but it still creeps me out!

Oh, Kris, I said the wrong thing. It isn't the diva cup, that's for menstruation: I don't want to go there. Checked that out, too, but you have to boil the thing for 20 minutes before you put it away for the next month. First off, ew, gross to be boiling something like that on the stove. HOW do you explain that to the family? (Can you just imagine them coming in and asking what's for dinner and seeing that thing and wanting to know what it is and then vowing to never eat anything cooked on the stove again because of it) Second, I know that I would forget about it and end up melting it in the pot.

The standing to pee helping device is called the Sani-fem freshette. I think.

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  7:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Oh, Nikki you made me laugh so hard! Wonderful, cooking story, never seen any of this stuff you are talking about but I can image something gross on the stove top! Ugh! You are so funny! Hope we get to meet someday! :D

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  9:08:31 PM  Show Profile
Nikki, go to www.Kristascups.com and check them out. She has both and in all kinds of colors, too.

Yeah, boiling something like that in a pot you cook with on the stove is pretty gross for sure. I'm glad that's all behind me now. I hope. And the snakes in the toilet is a fear of mine, too. I'm also afraid to run over one for fear of it getting inside the car somehow.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  03:39:03 AM  Show Profile
Belle, I have had poison oak in a lot of places, in my eye, under a cast on my arm, and in fact, I have it right now in a couple of little spots, but I have never had it on my backside. THAT must be what true torture is and I hope I don't have to find out what that's like! Yikes

Karen, I hope that one day we could all meet up with our campers and have a rollicking good time, cooking over a fire, sharing our most embarrassing moment stories, laughing, and solving the world's problems. HA!

Kris! That website is awesome! I am going to have to get one of those and maybe one for Oakley, too. They are so reasonably priced! I couldn't believe that they have an actual photo of someone using it! So funny! But what a way to display how discreet it is, not indecent at all. And the advice on not peeing in the wind. Priceless! Hmmm, where have I heard THAT before?

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  08:06:39 AM  Show Profile
I always fret over chiggars! UGH! Every summer I'd come back from summer camp, covered up in chiggars and my daddy would give me the hardest time about how I was able to get chiggars in my butt-crack! When Brian and I were going through our "troubles", we had a rollicking good fight and I stomped off in a pout and parked myself on a boulder to stew and punish him. Got absolutely et up in those lil' buggars! Brian laughed and laughed, saying it served me right for acting like a toddler!

I'm thinking I can do without going around wearing a jock strap that has to be boiled on the stove after use! Not that I have to worry about that now, but still! And if I did use one and was in the process of "cleaning" it, it'd be just my luck that Lauren or Brian one would come in with a gaggle of people just as I was scooping it out of the boiling water! That'd be right up there with the dog trotting through a roomful with your "toy" in it's mouth!

I'm all for one of you buying one of these contraptions and trying it out so you can give us an honest-to-God consumer review. You know how a thing can look absolutely simple as pie until you're faced with having to do it yourself!

I can't say I've ever thought about snakes in the toilet. I probably will now though. Thanks, Nikki!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  06:24:58 AM  Show Profile
About chiggers. Are they also called red bugs? I am sure that I have had them, I mean how could I live here so long and NOT? Just yesterday I was sitting in the tube on the grass and I would feel something stinging me and look at the spot just to see a barely visible orange mite that I could easily squish. Is that a chigger?

LOL about the jock strap, Cherry! I think the Diva cup is made to go "up there" and catch all of the menstrual flow. It sounds pretty doable, until they get to the part about cleaning it after you have used it all week. THAT is gross. Not going to be cooking period soup at ANY time of the month, thank you!

Oh, yeah. About the snake in the toilet, but then not really. A friend of mine's mother who lives in a nice neighborhood near Greystone found a pygmy rattlesnake on the heating vent in her dining room. Apparently, it had come in via the dryer vent and was attracted by the heat. So, if they want to, they can get in. And this kind of stuff doesn't just happen in the country, either. YIKES!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  08:26:44 AM  Show Profile
You girls are hilarious! I love to pee outside, so much cleaner then having to go in some outhouse or porta pottie.
I remember my mom bought one of those cup things (so you could pee like a man), she comes out on the patio...we are weeding the front flower beds...and says, "Hey look at this, opens her pants pulls out the tube and pees on the flowers." It was so cool, she needed it because she was hiking Mt Rainier the next weekend with a bunch of men. Anyways, she came home all bummed because somehow she accidentally dropped it and the thing slide down the mountain into a crevasse.
Nikki, I don't think you can see chiggers, the only time I have ever experienced them was in Ecuador. I had no clue why my legs itched and the folks we were with from Tenn said it was chiggers.
I also had my first 'beware of snakes' talk in Ecuador, we were in the rainforest and the bathrooms were two holes in the ground with a palm like teepee surrounding each hole for privacy. We literally were advised to use our flashlights and check the hole for snakes before we squatted.
My second worst bathroom experience was in Mexico, in the outhouse you had to swat so many flies in order to sit on the toilet (I'd hover....good quad workout). Those are the times I would rather just pull down my pants outside, where there is at least a breeze and no one else’s droppings.
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  08:46:43 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations, ya'll!! My first laugh-out-loud of the day!! And I've been down in the dumps and very much needed a laugh!

Nikki, chiggars are also known as red bugs around here, but you can't see them. They like to get behind your knees and in your armpits and in your groin area. They make a big knot under the skin and itch like CRAZY! Worse than a mosquito bite! Mama would always put fingernail polish on the bites to "smother" them. Must have been a pyschological thing 'cause Brian came home from working at the hunt club one week-end covered in them and I could only find red nail polish (hee! hee!) and I dabbed him right up! He said I was just plain mean 'cause it didn't work and I just wanted him to look like an eejit, walking around speckled up with red nail polish. Nevermind that no one could see it under his clothes. But he knew it was there!

Knock wood, we've never had a snake in the house! During our first few years of marriage, we lived in a single-wide. I was out-to-there pregnant with Lauren and had gone outside to do something and noticed a black racer headed towards the underpinning. There was no way I was gonna let that snake get under my house! Not that they're dangerous, but who wants a snake lurking around, scaring the bejeezus out of you? So I hurried back in and grabbed the first gun I came to, a .22. Ran back out, found the thing, took careful aim at it's head, pulled the trigger and thoroughly pissed that big ol' snake off! It started chasing my prego-self around the yard! I kept trying to chamber another bullet and not fall on my butt and I just kept popping them off at him 'til I had him back down at the edge of the yard! Last I saw him, he was climbing a pine tree! I just HAD to call Brian at work and tell him what happened! That was extremely stupid and short-sighted of me. All those boys he worked with had a big laugh at my attempt at snake wrangling!

Snakes being in those houses in Greystone tickles me big time!

Chelsea, your mama peeing on the flowers is hilarious!! I bet ya'll were for real rolling around laughing at her! And can you imagine a hundred years from now, some archaeologist poking around on that mountain and coming across that thing? Geez! I'd love to see that!

I can relate to the flies in Mexico. I had a similar experience. It's hard to shoo flies and do your business at the same time!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

Nadine Bozek
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Nadine
Aurora, IL
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  09:24:37 AM  Show Profile
Nikki, These were truly magical photos and a wonderful experience. Thanks for sharing them. It is a dream to spend a night in a tree house, even with the noise!!
Go to Top of Page

Nadine Bozek
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Nadine
Aurora, IL
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  10:20:29 AM  Show Profile
oops

Edited by - Nadine Bozek on Jun 01 2009 1:05:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  1:57:33 PM  Show Profile
Y'all have got to go to www.Kristascups.com (Kris put this link on here). Y'all will get such a kick out of it!

Wow! Chelsea! It sounds like you have been everywhere! And your Mom rocks! Oakley and I had to learn how use it outside when we first started going to the farm, and we found that we preferred going outside since it does feel so much more sanitary. But I guess it wouldn't be if everyone was doing it! - Hovering and working out the quads! Love it!

Cherry, oh yeah, I can just see a pregnant woman running around the yard taking pot shots at a snake! Only in the South! LOL! Red fingernail polish $4.00. Making Brian look like an eejit. Priceless!

Nadine, tanks for the compliments on the photos. It was lots of fun! I will tell you how to post photos. I dearly love to see everyone's photos!

First, get yourself a free account at photobucket.com Okay, you will need to either resize your photos or I think that you can do it on photobucket.com but it takes a long time. I have been sizing mine 3.75w x 5.5h at 100 dpi. Download your photos on photobucket and put them into an album right then if you want a group to be together. Whenever you drag your mouse over the photos there will be a drop down menu. Copy the img address. Paste that address into the comment section at MaryJane's and make sure that you are already signed in before you post or you could lose everything that you typed. Let me know if you have any questions!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

Nadine Bozek
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Nadine
Aurora, IL
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  2:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nikki. That was helpful and easy. I'm good to go now. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  5:07:03 PM  Show Profile
If everywhere is limited to Mexico, Ecuador, and a cruise in the Caribbean :) Other then that, just a few trips around the US and Canada, not much. Ecuador was one of those once in a lifetime things. Did you girls ever hear about the missionaries that were killed down there in the 50's. There was a movie on it recently called End of the Spear. Anyways, the son of one of those missionaries attends my parents church and took a few folks down there, with the movie's Hollywood producers, and Steven Curtis Chapman (he was making a music video) in order to show the movie to the tribe first.... before it was played in the US. It was just after my freshman year of college, I was a bit of a butt considering I was surrounded by these strong Christians and at the time I was not living according to my faith. It is a bummer now, because I barely talked to anyone. But other then that, crazy experience.... if you didn't get up in time, they ran out of food. We were served monkey a few times. This entailed a fire singed monkey arm chopped at the elbow and place in your bowl with river water broth. You were to pick it up and bite off the meat.
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  8:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Oh, my gosh!!!! How did you survive? I sure wouldn't have eaten that! Ugh! But I suppose if there was nothing else and you are starving.....I am going to Africa in the fall, sure hope I don't run into any toilet problems down there! :D

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  06:08:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh, man, Chelsea, what an awesome experience! Yes, when I was little my mom was reading the book about that and she told me what happened. I was amazed at the kind of love that would allow them to still reach out to their husband's murders. God truly can work miracles in hearts and lives! - Oh my gosh, about the food! The thought of the river water broth is what is grossing me out! But I hope that the monkey arm didn't still have the skin on it. I hate skin. What did it taste like? Please, please, please, don't say chicken. HA!

Karen, how neat! I hope that you will share your adventures and photos with us when you get back! How exciting! I guess how much discomfort you suffer will depend on where you go and who you go with. I've read about some pretty luxurious safaris and tours in South Africa and then of course, seen stories about starvation and squalor in other parts of Africa. I guess it is a mixed bag, just as it is here.

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  06:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
I beleive it will be luxurious as my brother planned it but I hope to experience some 'off the map' experiences.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Outpost: Previous Topic Sleeping Outside Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page