Page: of 2

Desiree
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Desiree

USA
48 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  3:20:09 PM  Show Profile
I was in Salt Lake City, Utah this past weekend and visited Red Butte Garden. The raised beds that they use for vegetable gardening are made of hay. Hey, what a great idea! I posted a couple of pictures on my blog.

www.beyondagarden.blogspot.com

Simple Living With Nature.........
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  11:52:51 AM  Show Profile
I've heard of the hay beds idea, but there is a lot of weed seed in some hay. Still, when the season is over, you can mulch/compost the whole thing and start over again with an enriched garden the next year.

I do love all these ideas. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a cute claw-footless tub. What a fun idea that is!

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  2:02:35 PM  Show Profile
Last year our town had a weekend where they took in things that needed to be recycled like computers, appliances, etc., that people didn't want to take to the dump themselves because they charge so much to take items like that. There was a central location to take everything and then the county arranged for it to be hauled to the dump for free. They took in 500 refrigerators! There are only 1500 people in our entire town. The organizers are still a little mystified over where all those refrigerators came from.

I've seen the hay bale idea too. Did they use hay or straw? Maybe the straw bales would have fewer weed seeds.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  9:02:03 PM  Show Profile
HolyGuacamole! 500 fridges in a town of 1500? That is impressive and puzzling. Sounds like a whole farm of raised beds. :)

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  9:05:11 PM  Show Profile
I used concrete blocks to border my square foot garden - the holes in the blocks are perfect for herbs.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  07:03:17 AM  Show Profile
Concrete blocks sounds great and they're cheap aren't they? And using the holes for herbs...wow....what about those landscape timbers? Are they treated though? And the hay/straw bales is a great idea also I just don't have the access, strength, or method to get them to my house plus reaching over the bales to get to my garden would certainly throw my back out....I'm old! LOL! But for you youngin's especially if you live rural and have access to straw that would be great. I wish I would have thought of that when I had my farm. I used straw as mulch between the beds and used it in bale form to insulate around the dog house but never thought to use it for raised beds! Great ideas! You gals are SO smart and creative!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  09:46:37 AM  Show Profile
another advantage to the concrete blocks - I stacked another row along one side for carrots (giving them more room to grow down).

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  7:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
My DH is plotting and planning how he is going to make raised beds for me and he thought he would form up concrete walls and then put whole bales of straw in them and top it off with two or three feet of topsoil. The straw would eventually compost down, you wouldn't need as much dirt initially to fill the beds that way, only having to add a little each year. I thought it was a great idea.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic raised bed idea...a bit wacky Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page