Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Natural hedgerow--to make a "fenceline"-any ideas?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Natural hedgerow--to make a "fenceline"-any ideas? Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  07:50:47 AM  Show Profile
We are not allowed to fence in our front yard anymore (stupid zoning laws!!!) and my husband is insistent that with our Violet's birth, we try to make the front yard safer for her to play. We do have a backyard, but we also have 4 dogs and very little grass, so it really isn't condusive to playtime right now. Unless we spend some time overhauling the turf back there....

So, I'm thinking about a natural hedge. Nothing with prickles, like barberry, but something easy to maintain, but something that grows "together" to create an impenetrable natural "fence" so she would be unable to get out, but moreso, people have to "work" to get into the yard.

Any ideas?

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  08:07:20 AM  Show Profile
Boxwood would work. But if it doesn't grow any faster than mine did, Violet will be in High School before it would be big enough. Then you would have a whole nother problem. I'll look in some of my nursery catalogs and see if I can find a fast growing hedge.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  08:15:56 AM  Show Profile
Privet hedges are pretty impenetrable, and I think they grow relatively fast.
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  09:13:45 AM  Show Profile
Multiflora Rose smells so sweet and grows fast and thick, I just can't remember if it is prickly or not.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  2:06:35 PM  Show Profile
I think privet is very fast and they also have a veriegated that is really pretty. Also the yellow forsythia is a fast grower. Boxwood is my favorite but like Belle said, the poor child would be in high school before it got 3' tall.

Maybe you could get a mix of bushes and stagger them so you'll have all different colors. Oh, and Spirea grows pretty fast and comes in all sorts of colors, too.

Just have fun with it and you'll have a rainbow hedge soon!

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2878 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2878 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  7:52:39 PM  Show Profile
Forsythia.. Either you love it or hate it, but will definitely work. I have had 2 homes overgrown with it, so I speak from experience.
Plus it will go great with Violet.. Tee Hee
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  08:32:27 AM  Show Profile
Forsythia bushes need a lot of space. Just a caveat. If your yard is small, the hedge might turn into the whole yard. On the other hand, if you've got the space, they make wonderful play houses (the shady hollow under the arching branches)!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  8:04:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls...sorry for the delay--little Violet has had some rough days and I've been dedicated to her care (and too sleepy to post!)

I was thinking Forsythia, because I love it and thought it would be lovely. I think I do, indeed have the space for it. I will also look into the privet hedge. I love the look of boxwood, but not the cat "pee" smell, so it's probably a good thing that it's slow growing!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  10:02:41 PM  Show Profile
Hey Miss Feb/vi, how about adding some Rose Of Sharon in with the forysythias....just a thought....

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  05:28:11 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has that issue with boxwood. My husband and several friends love it, but I think it smells nasty.
Go to Top of Page

BeckySue
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

BeckySue
Arizona
USA
63 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  4:22:10 PM  Show Profile
i like to plant various things . . mix it up and make it interesting and more natural looking.
Choose plants that are native to your area.
I like the Rustic Garden look.

You are
Welcome
to visit
My Serenity Garden
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Natural hedgerow--to make a "fenceline"-any ideas? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page