Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Purple Cilantro and Yellow Tomato leaves - HELP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Purple Cilantro and Yellow Tomato leaves - HELP Next Topic  

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  4:03:01 PM  Show Profile
I have two questions.

I planted some cilantro a few weeks ago. Yes I am 100% certain it is cilantro. Looks, tastes, smells like cilantro. BUT the stems and leaves are starting to turn purple. I have grown cilantro for years and have NEVER seen this.

Also - The leaves on the bottoms of my tomato plants are turning yellow. Some are getting spots. I thought perhaps it was because I was over watering. (We've gotten a TON of rain) But the soil has excellent drainage and is slightly mosist to the touch NOT wet. I even skipped a day between watering to see if that helped. Should I be concerned? Again I have grown tomatoes FOREVER and never had problems with the leaves like this until late into the season.

The Only thing I am doing different this year is using raised beds. HELP!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  09:31:11 AM  Show Profile
Julie, don't know about cilantro. I hate that stuff! But I am having the same thing happen to my little tomato seedlings. They are still in the cells because they are too small to plant them. I am thinking they need fertilized. I am going to get some fish emulsion and see if that helps mine. Or I have some manure tea that is old I might try that first. Just a little.

Good luck with yours. It might be because it's so cool at night and warm during the day. But I am not all too smart when it comes to plants. I don't usually have too much trouble with mine. Just mainly bugs and weeds.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  8:18:07 PM  Show Profile
No problem with cold nights here. It hasnt gotten below 55 at night since they were planted outside. Most of my plants are fairly good sized already.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  08:44:08 AM  Show Profile
I just read that yellow leaves on tomato plants mean they need iron... Some i had gotten last week had yellow leaves.. So i planted this weekend and cut off the yellow leaves and gave a dose of miracle gow to..seem to be perking right up

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/ and my barter blog is at www.bartertribalwitch.blogspot.com and www.alteredartfun.blogspot.com

Edited by - tribalcime on Apr 28 2009 08:44:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  08:25:41 AM  Show Profile
I have an organic garden so I cant do Miracle grow. My friend told me it was lack of nitrogen! Everyone says something different. I read that used coffee grounds can add some nutrients. Since I use organic coffee I have been taking the used grounds and placing them at the base of the plants. We got about 100 inches of rain yesterday ;) so I cant tell yet if it is working. They are growing very fast but are just yellow at the bottom!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  08:58:06 AM  Show Profile
Here is another one Julie. I'm fairly certain it is blight, something I am all too familiar with here with our damp marine air. The give-away to me is the fact that not only are the leaves yellowed, but they have spots and the rain you have had will certainly do it. My suggestion is to take off all the yellowed leaves and burn them or put them in the garbage. Don't compost them. Also, can you provide them with some kind of a canopy to keep the rain off of them?
If you google "tomato blight" images, you'll see some good examples.
Di
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  12:48:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi there! I have raised beds and I was having some issues with my tomatoes last year (end rot)from over watering. Because this is your first year with a raised bed with tomatoes, I would guess that you are over watering them.
Raised beds (with good soil) tend to really hold the moisture well and don't need to be watered everyday. I found last year, once I stopped watering them obsessively...they stopped being funky and were very healthy! I believe I watered them every 2-3 days and they were fine!

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  6:27:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips. I looked up pictures of blight and it doesnt look like that at all! I'm thinking it is too much water and not enough nutrients. I cant do anything to stop this crazy amount of rain but I will look into adding some soil ammendments. Anyone have advice on some organic products?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  06:26:30 AM  Show Profile
Julie, have you ever used manure tea as a fertilizer? I have a big tote full of cow manure that I add water to and use a little in a watering can. It is some good stuff right now! And very organic, too. I have seen a difference in my little tomato plants. I planted some of them yesterday and watered with the tea. Hopefully this will get them going.

Is there a dairy or someone near you with horses, cows, chickens? I have a pile that I throw all the manure on and after awhile it is the best black soil ever. Plus when the chickens get in there and scratch around, it breaks it all up. It's also right under the tree they have been roosting in, so all the poop goes in there, too. I used a little in each tomato hole when I planted yesterday along with the manure tea.

A few years ago I traded 3 big dump truck loads of cow manure for a saddle. It sat on the gardens for a few months before it was tilled in. Not a good idea. It needs to be tilled in as soon as possible. It got so hard and was very hard to work with.
But added so much good stuff to the garden, I really don't need to add more for awhile.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  08:17:22 AM  Show Profile
We have chickens and horses. My beds have a mixture of peat and compost in them. The compost included chicken and horse manure along with all kinds of other leaves, grasses, etc. It was very rich, black, silky compost. That is why I am so confused about the lack of nutrients. I know right now part of the problem is moisture. We have rain predicted through next tuesday and it has been raining since saturday!!! I purchased some organic blood meal and plant nutrient addative last night. The blood meal is a granual and it says to sprinkle it on the soil and mix in slightly so I will add that tonight. The nutrient addative is a liquid and has to be mixed with water so I am going to wait on that because I dont want to add any additional water right now.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Purple Cilantro and Yellow Tomato leaves - HELP Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page