Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Food processor v. stand mixer v. spoon?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Food processor v. stand mixer v. spoon? Next Topic
Page: of 2

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  1:56:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Alee! If I have to buy them, trust me, I'll try Dollar Tree. Now, if RANDY has to buy it, I might opt for that really sturdy, VERY expensive one at Kitchen Works, our local expensive kitchen store. It might teach him to keep my wooden spoons out of his grinder!!!!:)

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  8:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL Julie!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  12:03:49 PM  Show Profile
I have a kitchen aid stand mixer and love it.(Use it for big batches of bread, cookies etc...)

I also have the handheld Kitchen Aid Immersion Mixer http://www.everythingkitchens.com/kitchenaid_immersion_100.html that I love for small batches of things. Infact, I use it to puree my black bean soup right in the pot instead of transferring it to a food processor or blender(mashed potatoes too!). I use it for whipping things and there's all sorts of small attachments that you can use with it for small food processing things. If you're short on space, this is a great way to have a mini-food processor!

As for wooden spoons, I love those too...something incredibly nostalgic about it and they work great. However, I have fallen in love with Bamboo spoons. The great thing about these is that they are stronger and you can put them in the DISHWASHER! Sweet huh!? Mine are from Pampered Chef you can look at them here:
http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?productId=16755&categoryCode=BA

I am in the market for a really sturdy hand egg beater. Anyone know where I can get one of those that won't be lame?
Go to Top of Page

suethequilter
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

susan
jackson michigan
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  04:48:31 AM  Show Profile
I have a tiny food processor but only use it for pesto. I also have a kitchenaid mixer, a mixer (Made in 1934) that was my aunts, and an eggbeater that you turn a wheel to use. I like using the 1934 mixer over the kitchen aid for things like cake because it is so much quieter. Lets face it, women in the 1940's cooked and baked just as well as we do but without the fancy choppers and mixers. I keep my kitchen aid in the pantry because it takes up so much room.

life is good
Farmgirl#172
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  4:11:13 PM  Show Profile
I just use my spoon and mix by hand. I have a hand held mixer I use for cake mixes and when I mix the yeast in with a bit of flour for the 3 min or so, but after that it's the spoon. I just can't seel hauling all the equipment out and washing it and storing it again. A spoon and bowl is much easier to clean up! I think I do enough cooking and baking, but I don't can, I can see where the food prossesor would come in handy there.. I do have a small one tho. I use it to make bread crumbs and my soap. But it was given to me and I'm not going to go by a newer, bigger one just for those to things..

I also have a small, small kitchen and no storage. My pantry is downstairs and IF I got any of those appliances, I'd be hauling them up and down all the time! The spoon fits in the cup on the counter just nicely.

And to make pie crusts or biscuts I use one of those pastry blenders, works fine for me, I guess I don't know any different tho! I just can't see paying the $200 for a mixer when my had works just as well...
my 2 cents ;)

Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  5:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
Hello,

my favorite way of mixing batter or whatever you may be baking is my Kitchen Aid mixer. I have only had mine for two years, it was a Christmas gift from my momma. I first learned how to use the giant mixer when i was in 7th grade taking home ec. I graduated from the same school (my high school was 7-12 because the town is so small) and the day i graduated they were still using the same mixers they have had even before i started attending that school. They were used everyday and beaten around a little too. They are a little expensive but they will last you a very long time and it may be the last mixer you ever purchase!

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  5:59:28 PM  Show Profile
The professonal Kitchenaid stand mixer is un-beatable, and I have had mine for many, many years, it is still perfect, and all the attachments you can get makes my life so much easier. I also have a food proccesor which I also love, and a very old electric hand mixer which is great for little fast jobs. As busy as I am on a daily basis, anything that helps cut down on time is a God send as far as I am concerned, I also have an electric bread maker which I use in the summer when I am to busy to hand make bread, and its almost as good as handmade. I don't know what I would do without my kitchen gadgets, I guess without them, I would just get even less sleep, LOL.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Food processor v. stand mixer v. spoon? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page