Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  8:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yesterday, Nora, Sky and I were on our walk home from the park when I heard a squirrel up in the branches of a tree we were walking under. The trees have yet to leaf out so, he was easy to see. He started "talking" to us. Mostly I have heard squirrels chatter and click, so when this squirrel started "barking" softly I thought it was funny! He sounded like a really big dog on low volume!

So I started mimicing him and we chatted back and forth for a few minutes. And then I decided it was probably time to get going and as we walked away, he started chattering at us like he was mad! I think he liked the "company"! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  9:30:33 PM  Show Profile
Someone besides me who talks to squirrels?! Hmm, nice to know I'm not alone.
PS--Maybe he was mad because he didn't receive any nuts--squirrels are weird that way.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  10:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If I would have had anything to give him, I would have! :D I like squirrels but they drive my dog crazy.

One time at a different house we lived at we had lots of squirrels in the back yard. Well, I had asked my husband to dig me a garden plot and I had taken him a glass of water since he was doing the manual labor. He left the glass outside on the rail of the fence. A couple of days later, I was sitting in our living room and I had just spotted the left-behind glass when a squirrel jumped onto the fence and ran straight for the glass. He stood on his hind feet and very carefully grabbed the rim of the glass and tipped it forward. Once he had tipped it forward, he leaned in and I kid you not- took a drink from the glass. He then put the glass back, and scampered away. I was totally stunned!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  05:07:54 AM  Show Profile
Too funny!

My grandmother recently passed away, and at the hospital the night before she died she was talking about squirrels. I didn't mention it to anyone, but then at the funeral, the pastor mentioned how the squirrels had broken in to her house and stolen her black walnuts once when she was much younger.... It brought tears to my eyes.

Your post with "squirrels" in the title caught my eye for that reason - maybe you're the conduit for a message from my grandma! Life goes on, and squirrels are very amusing little creatures...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  05:25:06 AM  Show Profile
Funny squirrel stories! I'm afraid that the people in my neighborhood think that I am a drunk driver. It seems that every time I leave the house a young squirrel wants to play chicken with me and I end up swerving this way and that trying to avoid hitting them. There are A LOT of them! My kids get irritable about being jerked around and they complain, "Why are you doing that?" I say, "Didn't you see the squirrel?" They never do.

I read once where these people from India or somewhere visited the US and were just fascinated with squirrels since they had never seen them before. Isn't it cool how our everyday, commonplace sights can be viewed as exotic by others?

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  07:26:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think squirrels are interesting, but they can be nusiances as well. I watched an Animal Planet thing on them where some people build squirrel obstical courses in their back yards. It was really interesting to watch! And I had never seen a Black squirrel before!

Brenda-That is really interesting!

Nikki- I know what you mean. We have some kamikaze pidgeons in Billings that always freak me out. I hate killing animals by accident!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  07:36:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
My name is Tonto and I LOVE squirrels. They're so much harder to get than chipmunks or mice, but worth the extra planning and calculating. Ah and after the hunt and feast thereis nothing like a nice long cat nap. I hope my human brings me a bowl of milk when I wake up.
Sincerely,
Tonto

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  07:36:40 AM  Show Profile
Nikki, I often look at the squirrels running around my neighborhood and wonder what that must look like to people from somewhere far away. If we lived in India, we might have monkeys in the trees instead!
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  07:44:16 AM  Show Profile
We also have squirrels around my house. We name them all Rocky. We even have a Cottontail Bunny that loves our backyard. It is fun to have a little bit of wildlife in your own backyard.

Madelynne

johnandmadelynne.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  08:41:28 AM  Show Profile
"Alee, The Squirrel Whisperer".

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  08:44:56 AM  Show Profile
Ok, Rosemary, that totally cracked me up!

We have too many squirrels...I don't hate them, but I'm mad that they eat all my birdfeed and keep the poor birds at bay (except the grackels...they might just EAT the squirrels!). I came home a couple of days ago and wanted to make an egg sandwich and there were no eggs. Turns out, my husband threw a whole dozen eggs at the squirrels to deter them from the feeder (because he was out of tennis balls!!!).

Alee, we have black squirrels here, but they are originally from Michigan. When I went to school at Interlochen, they were EVERYWHERE and only a handful of gray squirrels.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  09:25:39 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary, isn't Tonto the cat who thinks he's a dog? He must be REALLY good to be able to get squirrels. My dog chases them but I can tell that he would not have a clue what to do with one if he actually caught it. HA!

Leslie - Funny! The Squirrel Whisperer! Love it!

Amie - You know, that is what I was thinking. Our squirrels are like their monkeys! I would rather have squirrels. They seem to be less saucy and intelligent. I have never seen a video of a squirrel stealing food from little children but I've seen plenty of monkey bandits!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  09:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Leslie- ROFL!

Jonni- Oh no! He didn't!!

Rosemary- Wow! Tonto is good!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  3:11:28 PM  Show Profile
Alee, that is too funny. I have lots of squirrels here too but I haven't been lucky enough to talk to one though :) LOL

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  5:07:31 PM  Show Profile
Nikki,
You are correct, it is Tonto the dog in a cat's body. Raised by wolves, wait, dogs, yea, my dogs raised him like their own. Very cool cat.
I like Alee, squirrle whisperer!
rr

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  5:34:25 PM  Show Profile
In our part of the country (south) squirrels are considered tree rats. Sorry, but they are so annoying! On any given day, there are over 10-15 in our yard, and they chew on my porch furniture (even my wooden swing) and eat the garden, and invade the bird feeders.....if i could I would get rid of them all! They are a nuisance in our city. Everything is relative, right? Squirrles are rodents, not cute in my book.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  5:42:58 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry, lol, but Alee the Squirrel Whisperer is gonna stick!
It will be how I think of you from now on! :p

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  6:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL :D Sounds good to me! Althought it was more like "Alee the Squirrel Barker" of "Girl who Barks with Squirrels" LOL!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  7:44:32 PM  Show Profile
I've never seen black squirrels, but there is a town, Olney, in eastern Illinois that has a population of white squirrels--and there is a five hundred dollar fine for running over one! (At least, that's what it was years ago). Talk about obstacle course for squirrels--the squirrels in Olney are an obstacle course for humans!
And I don't care if they are rodents--I had a pet guinea pig and I loved that rascal. Squirrels are like hyperactive guinea pigs with bushy tails.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  9:03:52 PM  Show Profile
New Plymouth, ID has a population of white squirrels too.. or it did about 10 years ago. My folks were camping in northern Idaho a summer or two ago and brought home a picture of what I'd have to call a pinto squirrel. I didn't believe it. So I went to the campground with them, and sure enough, there was a black and white squirrel. Now you explain that one! Albinos are one thing, but pinto?

So, Squirrel Whisperer, what were you two talking about? Some nice hazelnut recipes? Knock wood, no squirrels here. I do like their antics, especially when they aren't in my area.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  07:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL I would like to think he was telling me how cute Nora is and that it looks like I have been losing weight!

A Pinto squirrel! I would love to see that!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  07:44:54 AM  Show Profile
Well, I guess I could tolerate a complimenting squirrel like that one in my yard. I'll have to dig around this weekend and see if I can turn up that photo to share with you. Crazy little thing. Fast little oreo streak running between the trees, then dropping little pinecones on us. I'll be honest, I did think it would be neat to purposely breed pinto squirrels...but what on earth would you do with them? Just something funny to think about around the campfire.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  09:22:00 AM  Show Profile
LOL, Girl Who Barks At Squirrels, OMG LOL

Why this all strikes me as SO funny, I don't know why. But I'm glad!

I love watching squirrels play. My youngest and I get such a kick out of their antics!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  11:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Leslie- I'm glad that gave you a good chuckle too! It was such a funny thing to have happen and it makes me smile everytime I think about it. And the new nicknames give me a kick too :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  6:30:19 PM  Show Profile
Alee- Could you please come here and have a talk with the numerous 'yard rats' that terrorize my birdfeeders, plants, bulbs, veggies, etc? Tell them that it would be in their best interest not to hang out in my yard anymore!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  7:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds good to me, Diana! You buy the plane ticket!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Talking With Squirrels Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page