happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  07:07:22 AM  Show Profile
DH and I are ready to move to the country, back to the area where he was raised, about 30 miles from where we live. Our problem is that we've had our house on the market for 2 1/2 months now and it hasn't sold. If you're so inclined, could you please pray that we'll get an acceptable offer soon?

I know God acts in His time, but I feel like I'm in such a limbo. I can't plan a garden because I don't know where we'll be or what our situation will be. If we don't sell quickly, we won't be in place to plant this spring. My present yard is almost 100% shady and a vegetable garden doesn't work. Believe me, dh and I have tried everything -- containers, the side yard, the front, you name it.

I know a garden is such a small thing in the scheme of things and I shouldn't be so impatient, so I'm also praying for patience and trying to thank God for the "advantages" of being in this house right now.

Sorry for rambling, and thank you for understanding.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  10:25:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh Patti, I so know how you're feeling. It took us 20 years to be able to afford to escape the city and when we finally could, I wanted it to be NOW. We had found this place and so wanted it, but had to sell our house first. It took three months of anxiousness hoping that this place wouldn't sell first. Remember that it only takes one buyer for your house and someone will come along. Is your realtor advertising and having open houses and really trying to make a sale for you?
In the meantime, PLAN THAT GARDEN!! Get a paper and pencil and journal and go crazy. Make a list of everything you want to plant, even the flowers. Order some free seed catalogues! If you're like me, make a wish list, then pare it down to reality! You could even start a few bedding plants in pots to take with you when you move. Wanting a garden is definitely not a small thing when that is something that is in your heart.
Are you setting yourself up for a big disappointment? Maybe, but maybe not too. Think of all the relaxing, enjoyable evenings planning your garden you can have. It helps keep you positive when you're in such limbo.

Diane

Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  11:02:04 AM  Show Profile
Diane, thank you so much for your heartfelt response. The realtor has done what we ask, when we ask, but nothing more. In fact, there have been mistakes in the online listing (no bedroom pictures, then someone else's bedroom pictures, etc.) that she didn't catch until we pointed them out. She hadn't even checked the listing. No open house yet, but when I asked her to have one she said that people don't sell houses from open houses, but she'll have one if we really want it. That sort of thing. It's been in her ad in the paper 2 or 3 times, which I really do appreciate. It's just that other than that, I don't see much iniative on her part.

The house next door went on the market last week, and my husband and I are thinking of cancelling our listing and doing a FSBO, knowing that anyone who drives by or looks at the neighbor's house will see ours (we live on a cul-de-sac and our house is "before" theirs). I used to be a real estate agent, so we'd be somewhat prepared to do it ourselves.

As for the garden idea -- thank you for that suggestion. Tonight when my daughter goes to the high school basketball game, I'm going to put on my pajamas, fix some hot cider, and do just that! I'm really excited, and I appreciate you nudging me back from my pity party (which is exactly what I was having, even though you were too gracious to say if you thought it ) and onto more positive thoughts.

Bless you!

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  11:39:23 AM  Show Profile
I didn't think you were having a pity party at all, it never crossed my mind. I just hoped to offer you a little inspiration...sort of like Frannie and Aunt Jenny and others have done for me. I spent many 12 hr days at my sewing machines doing costuming for theater and dance and making police/fire rescue jackets when we lived in the city. When we moved here, I could hardly stomach to look at my sewing room! Thankfully Frannie inspired me to make a dollie and sit at my machine again! Bless her for that.
I truly believe that our country lifestyles are not always a conscience (sp?) choice...that it is a very part of our soul to nurture land and plants or animals or whatever and we're internally driven to fulfil that part of our lives. At least for me anyways...I feel so much more at peace and fulfilled living in the country with my few chickens and large garden.

Hugs to all the wonderful inspirational women here! I feel so lucky to have found you all.
Diane
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  12:34:40 PM  Show Profile
Diane, well you certainly achieved what you set out to do. My husband called about 30 minutes ago (he's out of town due to work) and said I sounded awfully cheerful for someone who was home with a sick child. I told him that I'd spent some time here and felt much "lighter" than I have in the last few days.

I think you're exactly right about our internal drive to create and nurture, in some form or fashion. Scrapbooking, quilting, sewing, cooking, children, animals & pets, husbands . . . they all fill those desires.

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  1:26:53 PM  Show Profile
Patti,

It took us forever (it seemed like) to buy our own place. Mind you - it's not very big, but I am so happy now when planting time comes. My own trees and my own flowers are so special to me. As Diane said, plan your garden and have fun looking at all the catalogs. When it comes, it will be wonderful. My husband tells me I have enuf trees & flowers, etc, but I tell him it will never be enough. Will say a prayer for you to sell the house quickly.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  1:48:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Patti,

A garden is not small thing of non-importance....especially if it's your heart's desire. You mentioned your asking God for help to see the benefits and also that you know His plan has His timing....well, God also cares about the "little" things in our lives. He cares about your garden. And you WILL have the garden you dream of.

I'm with the other gals....start planning now. You'll have all your plots plotted out and your seeds and plants ready to buy. You'll get to that new house and getting that garden ready will run so smoothly!

Selling a home can be so stressful. Getting your hands in some dirt might make you feel better! Plant a pot of something that will make you smile!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  4:04:29 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, I want to thank each of you for your responses. You've made me feel so much better. Dinner dishes are done, I'm here alone, and after I get off the computer I'm putting on my jammies. The catalogues and paper & pen are already on the end table, and I'm ready to start dreaming and planning. It's going to be a great evening! Thanks for the encouragement.

Go to Top of Page

dairygirl87
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Laura Ann
Clarence New York
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  7:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Send dairygirl87 an AOL message
God grants you serenity in times when you need it most. I may not be as experienced as these ladies in life yet or have those pretty words but I've seen enough to know that. Looks like everyone has helped you and given you the peace you needed.

-Best of Luck! ''
~Laura Ann U

"No race can prosper until it learns there is as much dignity in tilling a field as there is in writing a poem..."
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  8:28:45 PM  Show Profile
Laura Ann, you're so right about God granting us serenity when we need it. Sometimes, I know, I simply forget to turn to Him. I get so caught up in me and what I want, that I don't see the bigger picture. And sometimes, to be really honest, I don't want to. That's when it's great to be able to talk to someone and be reminded of how to get past it.

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Need your prayers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page