julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  12:52:54 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary, I LOVED your response! It resonated very deeply with me and I found its eloquence so calm and peaceful. Thank you! I think all the responses here have been just brilliant and to me reflect the infinite nature of God. Those who look to the bible as a literal guide, those who have given their bibles away, those who hang on to theirs not knowing quite what to do, those who search in other bibles and traditions...so many possibilities...so many opportunities to embrace a fundamental lesson, which is that we are all connected despite the many ways we try to divide ourselves.

JessieMae, you started this all...what are your thoughts? Looking forward to hearing from you!!!

~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  1:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I liked what Rosemary said too.
I studied feminist theology with a woman minister in a Christian denomination (I won't name it) We learned about the Goddesses in history. They were rejected by "Christian" men because the society was so much "for power and control"..thus called male attributes. Emotions and sensitivity and nurturing were feminine attributes basically rejected by Constantine..and thus called "evil". The Gnostic gospels were also very enlightening.

I call myself a Christian because I follow the red-letters in the Bible, otherwise the words of Jesus. He empowered women in a way that was not done before. It is good to study the Bible from Jesus's point of view NOT necessarily for Paul's or the others who wrote Gospels after Jesus died. I hope I don't get bad feelings stirred up. Religion is like politics...not usually an acceptable topic for Farmgirls.

If we open up a can of worms or turn this into a debate we will have to close the topic. Just a little warning from what happened when politics were started.

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9409 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9409 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  7:31:55 PM  Show Profile
Jesus said, " I am the way the truth and the life, no man cometh to the Father but by me."

Pretty much sums up the fact that there is only one way to get to God and that is through Jesus Christ.

I agree with the verses shared by Autumn and I appreciate this thread and all who have shared here.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  8:22:18 PM  Show Profile
I have been reading all these great replies the last 2 days now. So many different responses from so many different women. And so many different backgrounds and church upbringings. Isn't that amazing how God made us all so different and gave us each our own mind so we can take what we learn and use it for ourselves? To do what only we can do and no one else. I love that we are all so different yet all love the same God and Father who designed each one of us. Although we don't all call God "Him", maybe "Her" or "Goddess" or whatever, it's all the same principle, don't you think?

I like what Linda said about being a red letter Christian, following what Jesus said and did. That is the way for me, too.

Sometimes I get it and sometimes I am totally confused. But I know in my heart what I believe and that's enough for me. I know God loves me and is always there for me. He knew me before I was ever thought of and I was predestined to be His child! Just keep searching and seeking and you will find the peace you are looking for. He will give it to you if you ask.

There's a song I just love to listen to when it's on the radio. I don't know who sings it, but it says I know my Redeemer lives. I know that I know that I know. That sums it all up for me. I know that I know! It's in us to know somehow. Just like a baby chick knows how to bust out of that hard shell, God put that desire in us to know Him and to walk with Him. We were made to do this. Regardless of what we call it, it's that deep desire to be with the One who made us.

I don't know if any of this makes sense. It's late and my mind is tired. But I hope ya'll know know what I'm trying to say.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  9:01:18 PM  Show Profile
kris

Amen sister!

Sometimes we have to have faith. Simply, without proof.

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald

Edited by - Merry on Apr 24 2009 9:09:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  11:17:26 PM  Show Profile
Jessie, I read your post, but purposely didn't read anyone's reply.

I want you to know I was raised by a Catholic mother and a Protestant father, neither of whom went to church. God was rarely talked about in our house except in profanity. I had said "the prayer" a couple times in my life when I felt pressure by others to do so. I never felt any different, and I didn't change anything I was doing in my life.

When I was 35 I really hit a "bottom" point to my life and felt God calling to me. I had put Him off for about a year. Finally one night alone in my bedroom I prayed to God and asked him into my life. I didn't start going to church as I wasn't sure "which one" to go to. I did start praying and talking to God more than I had before, I listened to religious radio on my 1 1/2 hr commute each morning.
When the relationship I had been in (one after my divorce)ended I was devastated. I prayed to God and told him I couldn't be alone, He didnt make me that way. I told Him to choose a mate for me as I was not good at choosing. He did! I've been happily married for 4 yrs now as of this past Tuesday. After my husband and I were married, we wanted to go to church, but didn't know which one(denomination). My husband and I had talked a lot about our faith and beliefs. We were on the same page. We attended a prophesy seminar series and met a pastor. I told him of all the hypocrites I'd known and whenever I had visited a church all they wanted was my money. I let him know in no uncertain terms if that was what he was wanting to forget it I wasn't interested. The pastor and the evangelist called us and asked to come visit us. They did this about 3-4 times and talked about our beliefs. They asked if we had been BAPTIZED by immersion, which we hadn't. They asked if we wanted to rededicate our lives to God and be baptized as Jesus was, we did. We joined the church were the pastor was from and attended bible studies, church services.
I didn't feel any different after my baptism, but I wanted to. I learned to invite God into my life means more than just a prayer said once. You have to really WANT God to be part of your life, much like you want your husband/children to be part of your life. I started out praying when I remembered to. Then I tried to make sure I did it every day. It's been just over 2 years and I'm no "holy roller" type, I still have hang-ups like drinking too much pop, and I'm still addicted to cigarettes. I tell every one that I talk to about my faults because I don't want someone to look at me as a hypocrite. I am "a work in progress". God has changed the way I think about things, I talk to him in my thoughts throughout the day. I pray several times a day. I don't tell you this to make myself look good, I tell you this is how MY relationship is with God. I've learned that God doesn't change the outwardly things first, he changes you from within. You see, our character is the only thing we take to heaven with us. We leave our body, and everything worldly, here on this earth.
My advise to you is what I did that helped me, include God in your day. Talk to Him as you would a friend on the phone. Tell Him what you are thinking, your hopes, dreams, desires, difficulties, frustrations, and then ask for help. Thank him for the blessings in your life. Blessings come in all sizes. Ask him to help you be a blessing to others.
When we are going to work cows, we stop and pray and ask God to help us. Realize EVERYTHING you have is Gods. There is a hymn "I Surrender All". Surrender everything to God and ask him to lead you. Be prepared though, he doesn't lead us where "we think" we should go, but where He thinks we should go.

I guess I've said an awful lot here, I'm sorry if it's too long.
On the chance it isn't and you would like to discuss it more, please email me and we can talk. I would be more than happy to discuss more with you, not preach at you.

Cindy

Now, I'll go read everyone's replies.

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

Edited by - Mother Hen on Apr 24 2009 11:48:18 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Question about Spirituality Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page