Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Mildew or Mold in a carpet.......HELP!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Mildew or Mold in a carpet.......HELP!! Next Topic  

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  11:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Youngest daughter had someone spill something in her car......unbeknownst to her....and now it has created mold or mildew...we have tried steam cleaning to no avail...would anyone know how to rid the car of that, especially the smell?? Bleach would take the color out of the carpet...

Thanks for any help!

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  12:38:34 AM  Show Profile
I believe good ole fashioned baking soda will do the trick.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  07:33:46 AM  Show Profile
Diane -- the mold is probably down in the pad under the carpet also. You may have to pull that section up to get under the carpet and clean the pad. Have you tried something like Oxi-Clean?

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  09:52:41 AM  Show Profile
Sorry Diane, I thought you just meant to get rid of the odor. I have a bottle of Oxi-Clean here on the shelf in the laundry room (purchased by a m-i-l who believes if it's not chemically treated, it's not clean..lol), but haven't tried it.
Lord knows it will be August before it's dry enough to open the car doors to dry it out around here! Are you getting all this rain and wind?
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  9:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
YES in the Wind and Rain department, Daisy Diane. We are actually pushing for a record, we have had 2 days of sunshine since Christmas!It is getting ridiculous. Luckily we live on a peninsula with VERY sandy soil.....how about you?

Hey, would vinegar help, do you think girls?

Edited by - Fabulous Farm Femmes on Jan 31 2006 9:05:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

jamsnbread
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Is
Worth IL
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  5:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Send jamsnbread an AOL message  Click to see jamsnbread's MSN Messenger address  Send jamsnbread a Yahoo! Message
I had a similar situation with my van. The windshield was leaking and it rained for a few days straight and soaked my carpeting in the van to the point my electrical wires to my seat got fried. I pulled up the carpet and there had to be about 4-6 inches of water under it just sitting there. Well it started to mold and the inside stunk so bad. I will have to replace the whole interior carpeting but for the meantime i sprayed some lysol on the mold and anywhere that had gotten wet and the lysol got rid of the smell along with killing the mold. The van doesnt stink anymore but i will still be replacing the carpet anyway since you can get really sick from that.

Try lysol to rid of the smell and mold. That will help.

Is.

Jams -N- Bread
www.jams-n-bread.com
info@jams-n-bread.com

C & A Computer Services
www.cacrs.com
info@cacrs.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  6:35:15 PM  Show Profile
Didn't I read somewhere here that vinegar will kill mold? Maybe you could try that. I had scalloped potatoes spill all over the back of my van on the way to a funeral one summer. Talk about a stench!! I scrubbed and scrubbed and the only thing that would take the smell out was to leave a scented candle burning in the van with the windows up. (Not while I was driving though) It took about a week, but it did go away. Maybe if you tried that, it would dry out the area preventing new mold from growing.
Good Luck!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  4:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I've used borax on urine accidents and it does wonders to get the smell out, (better than baking soda even), so you might want to try sprinkling some on and letting it sit for awhile before vacuuming it up. If it's dry, you might want to spray some water on the area and then sprinkle it on, let it dry (and as it does, it soaks up the smell) and then vacuum.

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Mildew or Mold in a carpet.......HELP!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page