kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  05:52:18 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever had goat meat? I have an abundance of male goat babies and will probably keep a few. I have had some burger from an older buck and it was good. I thought maybe some sausage would be good.

And if you have were they your own goats? And what is the best age? And were they castrated or not? I have heard differing opinions on that. Some say there is no difference in the growth. Some say there is no goaty taste if they are castrated. But 2 years ago the buck we used to breed with ended up in the freezer and I got some burger from him and it was good. Didn't notice any bad taste at all. And what kinds of cuts are good?

Thanks, Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  08:25:43 AM  Show Profile
I eat it at a true Mexican joint here in town, Kris...it's very, very tender. Since I don't have goats, I can't explain the rest, but it's VERY popular with certain cultures. The goat meat I've eaten in the burrito is prepared like flank steak, in thin strips.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  09:19:48 AM  Show Profile
Hum, I wonder if my sister knows they use goat meat at Mexican restaraunts. She has a favorite place she eats every day in Statesboro when she lived there. Do all Mexican places have goat meat and do they actually say it on the menu?

I've got a Mexican family that comes by here a couple times a year looking for lamb and sheep and chickens. Thay will not even look at the goats. Maybe they get them somewhere else. But they just want sheep.

Thanks for the info. It does sound good.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  09:36:45 AM  Show Profile
It's only certain mexican joints, where the family is from the Yucatan peninsula--maybe the family that comes to your farm is from another part of Mexico where goat isn't popular. We eat something called Goetta here, in Kentucky and Southern Ohio and noone else in the states knows what the heck it is... The tacos are two small corn tortillas, softened and grilled with oil, meat, fresh cilantro and chopped onions. That's it. There isn't a hard taco in sight. The place I got to, La Mexicana is sooo good, and usually, I'm the only "gringo" in the place so I KNOW it's good food!

Their menu lists not only goat, but tongue, sweet meats, and other stuff that I wouldn't touch with ten foot pole.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  11:22:44 AM  Show Profile
Kris~ I had goat meat when I was in Mexico. I agree that it was very tender, and delicious. It was cabrito, or very young goat. I doubt it had been castrated. My brother's wife is from northern Mexico and I know they eat goat there. As long as it was slaughtered fairly young I don't think it would be "goaty" but I would be hesitant to eat a male older than about a year that hadn't been castrated. Some people may be more sensitive to the "goat-iness" though. There was a large Bosnian community in the city where I went to college and goat was very popular with them, too.
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  1:48:43 PM  Show Profile
My son-in-laws family eats a lot of goat. I'll ask my daughter to check with her in-laws and get back with you.

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  2:16:37 PM  Show Profile
When we had goats we ate the boys. We did band them when they were about 3 months old and we would butcher in the fall so we didn't have to winter them over. We would have the butcher cut it up like lamb. I loved it, it is tender and dosen't have a ton of fat. I used it for everything and even took it for pot lucks and no one said it was goaty>

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #542

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  2:50:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, ya'll. I will have plenty of goat meat if I don't sell them. Hopefully they will sell as breeders, but if not, I'm ok with it. So far we have had 9 bucklings born in just 5 days. 1 lone little girl.

Has anyone done any home butchering? I have a friend who's friend home butchers small animals. I might get him to come here and do a few for us.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  5:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well when I went deer hunting with my dad we gutted it ourselves, but had the processor cut it up. My husband learned how to break down an animal when he worked in the meat department. I could ask him how hard it would be to cut up a young goat or lamb in a home setting.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  5:56:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Alee. That would be great. Like what are the best cuts.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  10:59:01 PM  Show Profile
Kris, we've never tried goat yet, but I usually am the one that does the butchering of the deer in the fall. It is really pretty easy they way I do it anyway. I just cut the muscle meat off the bone as it is already pretty separated in the muscle groups. I don't do any fancy cuts, I do keep the backstrap all together.

If you have that one guy come over that does small animals you should watch him and ask lots of questions then you will be able to do it yourself next time. That's how I learned was watching someone and asking questions while they did it.

Good luck,
Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  05:30:08 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, I'm ok with butchering chickens and turkeys but when it comes to cute little goat babies, NOT! I am also ok with the actual cutting up after they are killed, but can't watch. It's too sad. I did partially see the scene in Cold Mountain where the lady had the goat in her lap and then snapped it's neck. I knew what she was going to do and closed my eyes at that moment. I really am ok with all that but the initial process of killing the animal is where I have the hard time. Afterward I'm ok and can do the rest. I will be there to help all I can. I know it would be so much more cost effective to do it here at home than to take them to a butcher. They will be more relaxed and the meat is more tender when they aren't stressed. And I will gladly give him a goat or two.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  06:13:54 AM  Show Profile
My daughter sent this recipe. She said it's one of their favorite.

In a pressure cooker...medium high heat
fry 1 whole onion with 1 whole head of garlic until golden
add two diced, peeled tomatoes, 1 green chili, 1-2" knob of grated ginger, 1-11/2tsp garam masala, 1tsp cayenne (or less) and 1/2tsp turmeric.....I use a wooden spoon to smash up the garlic and tomato
1 glass of water
keep frying until everything breaks down and the oil starts to separate...you can also keep adding a little water if it starts to stick to the bottom.
add the 1-2" cubes of meat and water to cover
Pressure cook for 20 minutes (until tender)
take top off and boil out water until you have more of a gravy
garnish with fresh cilantro, serve with basmati rice or Naan (from Trader Joe's freezer section)

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  10:28:39 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I know exactly what you mean. When we've had pigs butchered, the butcher came to the barn and killed them then dressed them out and took away the carcasses to his shop. I helped usher them out the door, but just couldn't watch him shoot them. I can shoot an animal I don't know like a deer or elk or something, but when it comes to shooting one that I've helped feed, water, basically raise, that's too hard. I even have trouble when we've had a couple kids over the years that you KNOW are going to die, I can't put them out of their misery. I had to ask a friends boyfriend to do it for me and I cried. I have cut chickens heads off and butchered them, but I'm not fond of it. I much prefer someone else to do the "killing" then I can deal with the rest without problem.

Good luck to you whatever you do.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Goat Meat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page