Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic I found a morel...? Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  9:19:57 PM  Show Profile
at least I think I did. It was growing behind my garage. I picked it and put it in a plastic baggie in my fridge. A book I have says they have to be cooked to be edible. Any ideas for what I can do with one morel mushroom?
Cindy

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  05:30:02 AM  Show Profile
Check and make sure the stem is hollow. If not, it is a false morel and is poisonous. :( Maybe take it to your county extension agent just to be sure. We don't want you getting sick!!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com

Edited by - Mumof3 on Apr 22 2009 05:30:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  3:06:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip Karin. I checked--the stem is hollow. I think I'll sautee it and add it to some quinoa. My dad said his next door neighbor ran over some morels with his mower yesterday. Guess he didn't know what they were. My dad said when he was young he and his brothers picked morels and sold them. Gee, this could be the start of a whole new hobby--hunting for 'shrooms.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  3:28:50 PM  Show Profile
Lucky, lucky you! Morels are $20 a pound at Whole Foods! Tell your dad's neighbor to be more careful, there's money in that there fungus!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  04:03:51 AM  Show Profile
We may have found one too!

edited to say - I sent the picture to a friend who is a mycologist (Fungus expert) to see what she says. I may have to pick it and run it to her house.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Edited by - City Chick on Apr 23 2009 04:05:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  12:37:38 PM  Show Profile
I love morels! When I was younger I used to go with my granny looking for them. I noticed the May Apples are up here, so usually when you first see them morels are not far away so my grandmother used to say. She would split them and fry them in an egg batter.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  7:50:45 PM  Show Profile
A co-worker told me that the first morels of the season go for $25--$30.00 a pound. A town up the river is having a mushroom festival on sunday--this I have to attend!
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  7:59:05 PM  Show Profile
Cindy if it were me I would turn that precious mushroom into one of two things. I would either saute it in a little butter and gobble it up whole or I would make a little personal sized pizza with it. I love morel season because I do a pizza with grilled chicken, fresh mozerella cheese, a light white sauce and those tasty muchrooms. If you can hunt down some more they make a lucious cream of morel soup as well!

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
City Chick & Friends Chapter Mama
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic I found a morel...? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page