Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Suggestions for Violet's library, speak up!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Suggestions for Violet's library, speak up!!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  08:28:03 AM  Show Profile
I received a gift certificate to a wonderful independent children's bookstore (The Blue Manatee) for Easter in Violet's easterbasket and wanted to get her some books. I have a list of favorites from childhood, but feel like I'm "missing" some...Here are the ones I can think of that I'd like to purchase:

The Secret Garden
Little Women
Anne of Green Gables.
Where The Red Fern Grows.

What are YOUR favorites? What shaped you as a girl?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  09:11:28 AM  Show Profile
My favorite books that Owen received as gifts are

Zen Shorts by Jon J Muth
One Potato, Two Potato by Cynthia DeFelice and Andrea U'Ren
Love You Forever by Robert N. Munsch and Sheila McGraw
The Three Snow Bears by Jan Brett
Owen & Mzee by Isabella Hatkoff, Craig Hatkoff and Dr. Paula Kahumbu, and Peter Greste for obvious reasons

As a kid, my dad would buy me the classics to read, but I mainly liked Judy Blume and the adventure books where you have a choice which page to turn to.

By the way, we bought YOUR BABY CAN READ DVDs, and well, my baby can read. He knows at least 13 words, and I just let him watch the video, I don't use flashcards when the tv is on, or really follow the program strictly. When you call to order, they will tell you it costs $160. I got it brand new on ebay for $90 including shipping. The first time he read words, I cried.
I know you hate ebay, but if you pay with paypal, you'll be ok. If you want, I can fish through my feedback to find the seller.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  09:45:41 AM  Show Profile
So I'm scrambling eggs, thinking about kids books, and forgot to mention my fave of all time, The Velveteen Rabbit. I think I lovd it so much as a child because I was an only child for so long, and my stufed animals were important and real to me.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  10:00:56 AM  Show Profile
Horton Hatches the Egg was my favorite. I read it to my kids all the time.
I enrolled 2 of my kids in the Scholastic program. The 3rd childs program quite me half way through.. But I've got all the Disney and Dr. Suess books. Lots of good classics in there.

When I read on my own.. E.B. White books Charlotte's Web and the Trumpeter Swan.. Laura Ingalls Wilder of course! I too liked theose choose your own adventure books, forgot about them till Trish Mentioned them! I liked the Narnia books too. Shel Silverstein is another good author to get. ALso you could pick an American Girl and collect those books, or just get them all! lol Kirsten was my favorite :)

Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  10:26:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well you might consider waiting to get those titles for a while- Violet is going to need lots of Board style books until she is about 1.5 or so and can look at a book without tearing the pages.

I suggest:

Goodnight Moon
Guess How Much I love You

But if you are looking for classics- there is a book about Gnomes that is so fun- sure to spark lots of imagination! I'll have to find the book to get the exact title. It's something like "The Encyclopedia of Gnomes" or "The Complete book of Gnomes" remember the cartoon "David the Gnome"? The illustrations are like that.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  10:27:15 AM  Show Profile
We LOVE children's books in this house. While my children were babies they really enjoyed anything by Eric Carle but especially the Very Busy Spider and the Very Quiet Cricket.
The Napping House is fun by Don and Audra Wood.
Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton. Also, by Burton, the Little House (one of my absolute faves).
Go Dog Go from the Dr. Seuss collection.

I also joined the Children's Book of the Month club when my oldest was a baby and we had great fun every month when that box came. I still have many treasured books from 11 years ago and my 11 year old will still come in from another room and sit down when he hears me reading to one of the younger kids.

Yard sales and school and church rummage sales are great places to find gently used children's books, cheap.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  10:28:54 AM  Show Profile
The Giving Tree
Robert the Rose Horse
10 Monkeys Jumping on the Bed

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  10:54:35 AM  Show Profile
We have tons of homeschoolers here in N. Idaho, so there are always really nice books at the thrift. I am stockpiling for when Owen reads something other than board books. I recently discovered that some books are made especially for toddlers with super tough pages that don't rip.

Elise, what is this Scholastic pogram you speak of? I Put an ad on Craigslist to ask local kindergarten moms if I could order off of their monthly forms, and I would buy them books for helping me out, but I got flagged :(
I understand wanting to buy books that are important to you early. It is nice to add an inscription, and you can tell your child that you had it for them since they were born. I need to start looking for a beautiful edition of Watership Down. I think that every boy should read it about ten or so.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  10:56:23 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget the Little House on the Prairie Books (you can get them in a box set). My mom started reading them to me out loud when I was 3 or 4, and they were among the first books I read for myself once I learned how.

I've got loads of favorites, but I'll probably have to go home and check some titles. I remember Robert the Rose Horse! Also, Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile and Harry the Dirty Dog were good ones.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  11:17:15 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the suggestions! Trish, you and I think so similarly about books, and like you, my stuffed animals were my constant companions and yes, very real to me, too. I loved the Velveteen Rabbit. Do buy an edition of Watership Down for Owen--one of our absolute favorite stories as well. We have my husband's copy from childhood. I had a "book shower" for her, in which I asked all the attendees to bring a book that shaped that was important to them--from childhood, young adult, adult, etc...I have some really wonderful books from that. My close friend, Ron, worked on the Obama campaign, and is very active and dedicated to local and national politics, so he bought Violet the Obama book written for children, and lovingly inscribed it so that she might understand what this election meant in terms of social change.

Oh, and the Trumpeter Swan! Excellent. In fact, I just watched a moving "illustration" of the book a few days ago on our pbs station. It was basically the book, but read by a voiceover.

I'm really trying to collect books for all aspects of her life...My mother was a librarian, so books were always important at our house. She read to me from her Childs Garden of Verses (1946) which is a collection of verse by Robert Louis Stevenson, from the time I was born--long before I was reading myself, and I loved that time with her, especially when I was a toddler.

When Violet is reading on her own, I'd like for her to be able to walk into her room, pull a book and peruse it, whether she's at that reading stage or not--that's what I did. Until I could read them, I would make up my own stories to go with the illustrations, but mom always made sure I went back to them when I could read.

Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  11:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I always loved Beatrix Potter books...Yes, The Velveteen Rabbit,is a keeper.Curious George is also a favorite around here.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  12:17:58 PM  Show Profile
Prepare for a long list

The Color Kittens by Margaret Wise Brown (only available as a golden book)
Catch Me and Kiss Me and Say it Again by Clyde and Wendy Watson.
The little Fur Family by Margaret Wise Brown
The Mousehole Cat illus by Nicola Bayley, can't remember the author's name
Angelina Ballerina series
William Mayne Hob Stories
Just so Stories by Rudyard Kipling
Tim and the Brave Sea Captain by Edward Ardizzone
Lucy Brown and Mr. Grimes by Edward Ardizzone
George and Martha series by James Marshall
also any of James marshall retellings of Goldilocks, the three litlle pigs etc are so wonderful, hiw illustrations are just delightful
The Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak
Chicken Soup and Rice by Maurice Sendak

oh I could just keep going and going.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  12:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Well, you'll be welcome to come to the farm and rummage through the children's books I've accumulated. The past couple of years, I've found a lot of natural history/science books geared for children. Last month I bought an old reader for children that told the story of Shakespeare and even has a sketch of the breakdown of the theater and 'who sat where' and what they did when it rained! :O
(I'm looking forward to our yearly 'free Willie' as they call it...free Shakespeare in Central Park. This year, it's Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth.)

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  1:08:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
[i]
Elise, what is this Scholastic pogram you speak of? I Put an ad on Craigslist to ask local kindergarten moms if I could order off of their monthly forms, and I would buy them books for helping me out, but I got flagged :(
I understand wanting to buy books that are important to you early. It is nice to add an inscription, and you can tell your child that you had it for them since they were born. I need to start looking for a beautiful edition of Watership Down. I think that every boy should read it about ten or so.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!

Trish I'm speaking of the at home mail program from Scholastic. Where you get 2 books mailed to you every month for like $14. The Disney books are the same as the movies.. Lion King, Peter Pan, Bambi etc. ans as I got closer to the end of the list I was getting Mickey Mouse and Goofy stories. Like Mickey and the Beanstalk and Sir Mickey and the Dragon. And I mean I was at the end of the list! I have well over 100..

The Dr. Suess are the same, I just got those for my daughter. There is Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham A Fly Went By, Berstien Bear stories and lots of easy read ones. I finished that list too.

I started the I can Read one for my 3rd, but as I said Scholastic quite me! Those are the Danny the Dinosaur, Morris the Moose, Forg and Toad, and Amelia Bedelia.

I loved getting the Disney books for my oldest, he loves movies and that's all we had when he was younger. It was so neat to see his face light up when I would give him the Lion King book as he watched the movie. They told me he was to young for thoses books, but he could still look at the pictures!

I just tried to find a web site, I don't think they have that club anymore.. Now I just get books for the kids through the school when my oldest brings them home. I just pick a few for each kid. I did the clubs because I wanted each child to have their own books. Like I would keep them and then pass them on when they had kids and a family. Thinking like that... But is was always fun to get books in the mail, they loved getting them.

I would order for you/with you, but it seems like we don't have more than a week to pick them out then turn them back in. Course the school year is over now. Have you tried your local elementary school to see if you can order from them?

(wow! sorry so long hee hee)
Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  1:15:59 PM  Show Profile
Wow!!! Karin! Great mind, girl! I'm ecstatic over the list. And, how silly of me, being a ballerina, to have forgotten the Angelina Ballerina series? And I love Margaret Wise Brown.

Janice, I will take you up on bringing Violet to the farm--but only if you'll let us help in the garden!!

I am printing out the lists and I will laminate it (yes, I'm THAT weird) and take it to our half-priced book store, too :) It's a great resource for books!!!

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  1:56:55 PM  Show Profile
Click Clack Moo and If You Feed a Mouse a Cookie

This is what my grandbabies want to here right now.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  3:42:53 PM  Show Profile
Here's a few of my children's favorites, Jonni:

Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
If You Give Moose a Muffin and If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (oh, darn. who wrote those? Laura something)
The Borrowers by Mary Jo Norton
The Mitten by Jan Brett
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
The Shoe series (Ballet Shoes, Skating Shoes, Dancing Shoes) by Noel Streatfeild
Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater
Caps for Sale by Hmmmmm, I don't remember
Stellaluna by Jannell Cannon
A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes

These are just a few. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  3:52:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, all. My list is compiling :) I had forgotten Madeline L'Engle, Karin. Thank you so much for putting that down. It's amazing...all the things I thought I would remember to tell Violet, to show her, I've forgotten. Justin and I had to look up "Hey diddle diddle..." a few days ago. We simply could not remember the parts!

Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  4:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
My kids loved the animal stories by James Herriot. Lots of good ones have been named and I agree with all of them...a library in the making I would say...Debbie

Farmgirl Sister #324

duty makes us do things, but love, makes us do things beautifully...
Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  4:57:48 PM  Show Profile
If Violet does not have her own copy of The Mother Goose Nursey Rhymes book, then I suggest she needs a copy. Miss K still sits down and reads hers. All of her critters love listening to the rhymes.

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  7:02:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes! James Herriot...I have a hard bound version of All Creatures Great and Small...mom got that for me when I was 12.

Donna, very good idea...and it comes highly recommended if Miss K reads it to her critters!!! Give her my love, won't you?

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  8:00:25 PM  Show Profile
I would heartily recommend any book by Margarite Henry--books like Misty of Chincoteague, Brighty of the Grand Canyon, Justin Morgan had a Horse--I loved those books when I was young. Now I'm trying to get my nieces hooked on them. They're not just good horse stories, but real tales of family and of building character. I also remember a book called "Higgledy-Piggledy Pop! Or There Must Be More To Life." I've never been able to find it since I was young, but it left a lasting impression on me.Maybe someone else out there knows where to find it..
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

miraclewelsh
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Samantha
Northern Wisconsin
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  8:35:44 PM  Show Profile
Lots of wonderful suggestions on this thread!

One suggestion that I didn't see mentioned yet was the Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace.

Miracle Welsh Mountain Ponies

http://www.miraclewelsh.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  9:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Little house on the Prairie
Beatrix Potter

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  05:37:52 AM  Show Profile
More wonderful suggestions! Thanks Prairiehawk for remembering the Misty of Chincoteague series. I was one of those little girls that loved, loved, horses and I am hoping Violet will be the same! You are so right about them being more than just pony stories.

And yep, the Betsy-Tacy series. My mother wants to find them for Vi...

I've been thinking about this and here's what I've come up with. When I compile my list, I'm going to keep it on the fridge and in her room and when holidays, birthdays etc. come up, and the 3 sets of grands and a gazillion Aunts ask what she wants, I can give them each a title and we'll have this list knocked out before you know it!!!

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  10:39:49 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I knew you were a ballerina,k and I always wanted to be one, well and a cowgirl too, my daughter loved those books, the illustrations are luscious. The all time fave was a little Golden book, no longer published called Over in the Meadow. It is a little counting book in verse, with lots of animals. The first time I read it chills went down my spine as I realized I KNEW this book. My mother must have read it to el. We still have Susannah's copy, she ate part of the back cover when she was teething. Even before she could walk she would make her way over to me and put a book in my hand to read it to her.

You are going to have such a wonderful adventure with Violet, my mother gave away all my childhood books, but my kids made me save all theirs, and I honored that, but i hope they get room fro them in their own spots some day. Of course I always have a supply here for the imaginary grandchildren (my children tease me about that) and to read to any visiting children....

Right, I've got to get moving, going to the beach for a walk...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Suggestions for Violet's library, speak up!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page