Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 bankrupt??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic bankrupt?? Next Topic  

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  08:42:43 AM  Show Profile
Shortly after my DH passed away I received a buy out offer of sorts from the family business that he and his brother owned. Although I knew at the time that it wasn't a truly fair settlement I had no choice but to accept it. It consists of a monthly check to buy out my and my husband's financial interesdt in the company and though it is sybstantially less than we lived on previously, I was doing okay.
Well, now it appears that my brother in law is considering declaring bankruptcy and I will receive no more money. This is my entire income and at 60 I don't relish the idea of going back to work full time. Currently my checks are 2 months behing with a lot of empty promises about when they will be sent.
Sooo.... please pray that I can figure out my life if I am left with no im=ncome and also that BIL accepts his responsibility to me.
I wouldn't be so angry if I thought he too was struggling, but he has the whole big time lifestyle including a 42 foot racing sailboat and yacht club membership.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  1:09:25 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I will be praying that things don't get that bad. What a mess. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this right now. Have you talked to him?

I'm sending you good thoughts and hugs.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  1:41:35 PM  Show Profile
Get a lawyer and file against his bankruptsy. It will take a bit but he will have to pay you a certain amount and it will go to a Trustee and then to you so you will have some money for a while.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  1:45:13 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Michele, I hope and pray everything works out for you. If I could, I would take you in and we would forge through life together. I know how it is to be completely broke and scared. You will be ok. (((HUGS)))

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  2:00:33 PM  Show Profile
Have faith that everything will turn out ok and be sure to get a lawyer to protect yourself! We're here for you!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  2:51:48 PM  Show Profile
I second the motion for a lawyer. You will probably have to pay to retain one but it will be a good investment. It sounds like your brother in law is taking advantage of you. . .he can afford a racing boat but your two months behind! Ha! You deserve to be paid, stick to your guns and get the best lawyer in your town, quick!
Meanwhile I'll be praying for you.
Best,
h

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  3:07:11 PM  Show Profile
I'll Third the lawyer motion. Always protect yourself---sometimes specially from family. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  5:46:26 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I agree getting a lawyer. Please protect yourself. You will be in my prayers and I hope things will be better for you.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  12:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Here's an update. BIL says to give him 60 days and then maybe he can start to pay me again. But no guarantees.
I spoke with a lawyer this morning who advised me of some options I can take. His reatiner is $4000. ( did I mention I'm not being paid, hello)
He thinks I should give him 60 days and then if nothing, start legal proceedings. I think I will do that. If my dear Mother in law was no longer here I would sue his fanny right now, but I don't want her in middle nor would I hurt her for anything in the world.
So, thanks for all the advice and keep praying that we can weather through this.
Thanks and bunches of hugs,
Michele

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  9:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Michele - I will be praying for your situation. I hope that it resolves itself. If BIL comes through in 60 days with some money is there any way that you can force him to buy you out in a lump sum now?? I would certainly keep the lawyer on the back burner.

Handmade Soap & Lotion Bars http://www.therusticcottagebath.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2009 :  12:44:55 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, can you place a lien on his home or boat or whatever assets he may have 'free and clear' of mortgages? It's a shame that he took advantage of you at a time in your life like that.
Maybe you should consider suing the pants off him no matter what your MIL thinks, after all look what "her son" is doing to you!
I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but the economy isn't going to get any better in the next 60 days. And if he's the type of person who would do this to you in the first place, whose to say he isn't scheming more now so his assets aren't in his name any more by the end of 60 days??

You have to protect yourself and your future.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  12:09:09 PM  Show Profile
Cindy,
He has already signed over his boat to his son and his corvette to his other son. He's a real sneaky ***
I know; the economy just continues to worsen here.
I have put it in God's hands and am just taking things day by day.
My MIL hasn't asked me not to do this but at 93 I don't want to cause her any more grief. She still cna't talk about my DH without breaking down.
Just keep the prayers coming farmgirl friends.
Michele

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  08:48:20 AM  Show Profile
Michelle,
Isn't signing his boat and car over to someone else while in bankruptcy called "conveyance" in legal terms?

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  9:11:39 PM  Show Profile
sue him now not later you are giving him time to hide everything.
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  10:43:18 AM  Show Profile
The more time he has the more assets he will hide. I would have a lawyer now. Make sure you keep copies of all communications with him. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  3:10:50 PM  Show Profile
Michele
How are you? Hope your okay let us farmgirls know how you are doing. We have very powerful prayers and lots of email support.
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  12:13:16 PM  Show Profile
I am still in a holding pattern. No money coming in yet. He has been able to sign these things over to his kids as He has not actually claimed bankruptcy for the business yet. I have contacted the lawyer and he says to hold on and if I need to. a bankruptcy lawyer is a whole new ball game. Hopefully it won't come to that or I fear I will never get anything in a long line of creditors. I'm still paryaing and have given it to the Lord and realize that my worrying and sleepless nights won't change a thing.
Thanks for all your prayers and advice.
Michele

Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic bankrupt?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page