Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic MJ's pancake recipe Next Topic  

MNFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  09:38:24 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried MJ's pancake recipe from her book? I have been cooking pancakes every Sunday for the past 2 years and I thought I would try her recipe and the pancakes came out terrible. They were hard on the outside and uncooked on the inside. I cooked them the way she said and I made sure the heat was right and everything, but boy was it a let down. But I am happy to say I started my starter and he has been happily bubbling away for 3 weeks now and making good bread. But he's a little stinky, are they always this smelly? For the first week I started him I got up every morning and checked him for bubbles, I couldn't stop peaking in on him. Has anyone tired her biscuits? I am going to make them this Sunday; I hope this recipe works out better. MN

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  10:37:03 AM  Show Profile
hey gurlfren .. did you use the 'sourdough flapjacks' recipe on page 39? maybe your starter wasn't quite right?? i've never made anything with a sourdough starter .. and i've never been all that great a 'pancake maker' .. however, my daughter taught ME to make perfect pancakes on Christmas morning using Maryjane's Organic Griddle Cakes mix. its a blend of 12 whole grains and has a nutty taste and sourdough texture. my sister used to bake with a sourdough starter all the time .. and "usually" had very good success with it .. our Christmas morning pancakes from maryjane's mix were absolutely deeeelicious! perfect consistency outside and in. i'm still thinkin' it was the sourdough starter .. or maybe the flour you used?

i'm going to order her jonnycakes, focaccia, buttermilk biscits and chili batter bread mixes today.

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Julie
MaryJane's Farmgirl

60 Posts

Julie
Moscow ID
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  10:49:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi MN, so sorry your pancakes where not what you expected. Sourdough will make a much heavier pancake. Try adding more water and leave some of the lumps in the batter. Yes, those little starters are a little stinky, but what great flavor it adds to your breads.

Frannie, so glad you enjoyed the griddle cakes. I love mine with lots of crisp bacon....

Have a great day ladies,
Keep Cookin'
Julie

Food Stylin' & Fancy Free
Go to Top of Page

MNFarmGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2006 :  12:07:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips girls, I will try the recipe again with the changes you suggested. It's my first time working with sourdough so I am sure I just need to work with it more. Thanks, MN

"Agriculture...is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end conribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic MJ's pancake recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page