Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Outpost
 Camping in Illinois...yes it can be fun!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Outpost: Previous Topic Camping in Illinois...yes it can be fun! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nadine Bozek
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Nadine
Aurora, IL
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  2:02:20 PM  Show Profile
We tent camped at Starved Rock State Park in Utica, IL. this weekend. We hiked along a ridge that runs above the Illinois River, heard owls and turkeys during the night, and hiked in La Salle Canyon this morning, which ends in a beautiful waterfall.I feel so much better when I get some physical exercise during the day and I sleep so soundly when we go camping. As much as I love my etsy shop, I also enjoyed having a break and not thinking of my etsy shop. Our site was somewhat close to a Boy Scout jamboree camp ground, and I loved hearing them play a soulful rendition of "Taps" in the evening, and a rousing rendition of "Reveille" in the morning to wake everyone up!! Everyone must of been pretty tired, cause they had to play that one twice!!!!

On the way home, I wanted to drive through Marseilles, IL, because I used to live there (population only around 4,000), and the magnolia trees were already in bloom there!!! I asked Gary to stop the car, and I got out and took about 50 photographs, which I hope to make into something I can post in my etsy store. I can't wait to look at them on the computer!! The poignant shades of pink practically make my heart stop, they are so reavishingly beautiful. I love all the subtle shades that turn into cream in the center.

I just did all the laundry. The only bad thing about camping is having to upack and clean up when you get home!

Check into my etsy shop in the next week or so. I hope to have a great magnolia picture posted then!!!
http://www.nadinebozek.etsy.com

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  9:44:54 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Another person discovering how great Illinois is for hiking and camping! If you ever get down to the southwestern part of the state, there are two great state parks--Pierre Marquette near Grafton and Giant City further south. Plus there's the Shawnee National Forest--there have even been confirmed sighting of cougars there and--would you believe?--armadilloes. I love this region of the country. We have hills, prairie, rivers, lakes, farmland, swamps--and the four seasons as well. You have to get out and look for it at times, but it's all there.
Just in my locale, I've seen deer, turkeys, eagles, coyotes, foxes, woodpeckers (all kinds), and once I saw a bobcat. I'd like to get up to the northern part of the state again as it's beautiful too.
Happy camping!
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  04:10:36 AM  Show Profile
I WAS AT STARVED ROCK THIS WEEKEND!!! Small world! We were all the way in the back of that same loop you were in. Site #95. We met up with a pop-up group we're in. (We were the group dining in the pavilion by the park) We didn't hear the Boy Scouts playing Reveille - but we did hear them Friday night laughing and having a good time. It echoed through the canyon next to us.

We fished the Illinois Friday & Saturday didn't catch anything. Hiked Mathieson State Park. One of my favorites!

I agree about the clean up. Not my favorite park. Later this week we have to open up the camper to dry it out. We stayed until Sunday. Rain, rain - go away!

Love Shawnee National Forest! It's just beautiful down there. We've not yet camped there. But we have visited on quite a few occasions. I didn't know there were armadillos there. How cool!

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

Nadine Bozek
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Nadine
Aurora, IL
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  04:52:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh my Gosh!!!! That is so cool!!! I Love Starved Rock! We go to Mathieson all the time too! If you like birds, it has excellant bird watching. Several weeks ago, we went to Mathieson and after we hiked, we sat in lawn chairs out in the sun, and I actually got a sun burn on my face!!!! I couldn't believe I got a sunburn, because it was still technically winter!!!! I was just getting over a cold at the time, and it felt so good to sit in the sun. We heard the boy scouts laughing Friday night too. I'm glad they made them go to bed pretty early!!!! It sounded like there were girls there too. Not sure if it was boys and girls?????.....We left late saturday and missed the rain.
Go to Top of Page

Nadine Bozek
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Nadine
Aurora, IL
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  04:57:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cindy!! I've been to Giant City one time, and enjoyed it tremendously! It's so magical! I didn't know about the armadilloes in Shawnee National Forest. Around here, we've seen mink, red shouldered hawks, deer, red fox, coyote, skunk, squirrel, possom, muskrat, hedghogs, wild turkeys, eagles, etc. Not bad for Illinois! One time at Shabonna we actually saw Pelicans in Illinois!!!! There were hundreds of them on the lake. They were migrating north for the summer, and they were just stopping over for one week on their migration. I'd never seen a pelican before, and it was so awesome! I thought you could only see those birds in warm climates.
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  07:45:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Nadine, thanks for sharing your camping adventures with us. I like that the Boy Scouts added to the atmosphere with their bugling! I hope you got some beautiful shots of the magnolia blooms!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

Nadine Bozek
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Nadine
Aurora, IL
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  08:51:25 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, I did get some great shots of the magnolias! I hope to do more spring time photography as the weather gets nicer and more things are in bloom!
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  09:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by prariehawk

Wow! Another person discovering how great Illinois is for hiking and camping! If you ever get down to the southwestern part of the state, there are two great state parks--Pierre Marquette near Grafton
Cindy

Well Cindy, you are talking about my neck of the woods. I love going up the River Road to Grafton especially in the fall; the trees are beautiful then. A few years ago, a couple of girlfriends and I stayed overnight at a cozy little place in Grafton for a girlfriends weekend get-away. Standing on the balcony in the early morning hours looking down at the river the next morning was breath taking. They have some really cute shops too.

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement

"You may never know what results come from your action. But, if you do nothing, there will be no results" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Nadine Bozek
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Nadine
Aurora, IL
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  11:44:06 AM  Show Profile
Lynn, I love that Ghandi quote, it is just what I needed to hear today!!!!
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  1:31:05 PM  Show Profile
When I was a kid, we'd always go camping at Little Grassy Lake in Makanda IL(Near Carbondale). We'd fish at Giant City State Park, Devil's Kitchen, Crab Orchard, etc.

Hubby and I like to take the ferry to Grafton, have lunch, and walk around the shops. Unfortunately there aren't as many shops as there used to be.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  8:46:23 PM  Show Profile
Nadine--Pelicans! We have hundreds of them here at a time--in fact, the Wings of Spring festival is coming up this weekend and there will be a raptor show and a program on white pelicans ("Scoop" the pelican can't be returned to the wild, so he's now the star of his own show). It takes place at the wetlands just across the Mississippi River. I'll be volunteering at the Sierra Club booth in the afternoon. The pelicans used to be on the endangered list, but they've since recovered. I love to watch them fly--from a distance, they resemble a wisp of smoke as the entire flock flies in a long, drawn-out line--it's hard to explain if you haven't seen it. I once wrote a poem about the pelicans when I was attending a nature retreat--we each had to choose an endangered species and "speak" for that particular species.
About Grafton--it used to be a quaint little town until the Flood of 93 got it. When they started rebuilding, they decided to attract rich people by building condos--which is totally NOT in keeping with the character of the town. I still like to drive up there as there are some good restaurants where you can get fresh river fish. On a humorous note--a ferry boat captain once told how "alligators were swimming up the river to Grafton and building nest on the islands in the Missiisppi"--one lady believed him and contacted a TV statiion and they fell for it too. ROFL
So if ya'll are in the mood, come to the Wings of Spring festival on Saturday--but be sure to watch for them alligators!
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  05:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nadine Bozek

Lynn, I love that Ghandi quote, it is just what I needed to hear today!!!!

Nadine,

That quote is so true, isn't it? Most people, I was one of them due to upbringing, would rather do nothing than to chance failure or embarrassment BUT if everyone does that, where would mankind be? I decided when in my 50's that I would rather be with the "group of people" that touch lives.

LynnMarie

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement

"You may never know what results come from your action. But, if you do nothing, there will be no results" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Nadine Bozek
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Nadine
Aurora, IL
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  05:41:34 AM  Show Profile
Prariehawk--- I think it is SO cool that you will be working the Sierra Club booth. I didn't know the pelicans had been endangered before. I just started getting into birds in the last few years. It seems as I get older I appreciate them more. If someone would of told me 30 years ago that I would actually spend some afternoons in a lawn chair in a meadow with binoculars, looking at birds, I would have thought ,"no way". Now, after hiking, I do just that. And if you just sit still long enough, it is surprising how much wildlife you will see. Ofcourse, the only thing is, you do have to watch out for alligators.....
Go to Top of Page

Nadine Bozek
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Nadine
Aurora, IL
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  06:01:15 AM  Show Profile
LynnMarie, I copied that quote down and put it by my computer. I am unemployed right now, so I am following my dream of trying to get my photography website going, and sometimes I feel like I am just stabbing in the dark with the things I do to drum up business, but like you say, if I sit there and do nothing, nothing will happen. If I keep trying different things, at least there is a chance that one of them will work. I did check out your decampsettlement web site , and I think it is interesting what you are doing. Every time I see an old house, I wonder about the people that used to live there. Also, since I have an interior design background, every time I see an old house in disrepair, I want to fix it all up, give it some love, and make it a nice home again.
Nadine
htp://www.nadinebozek.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  07:31:05 AM  Show Profile
I can't believe you Illinois farmgirls are talking about a place that this Kansas girl is familiar with. Grafton and the River Road. Ole Ron worked in Wood River back in 1990. We traveled with his work and lived in a 5th wheel. Went to Grafton a lot and bought a bunch of stuff at the antique stores. When they had the flood in 93 we were so worried about the shops being so close to the river. Glad to hear they have built back, but I'll bet there arn't the good bargins that we got then. sorry to hear about the condos. There was a resturant there that had an aquarium in it and lots of big fish. Is it still there?
Go to Top of Page

Nadine Bozek
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Nadine
Aurora, IL
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  10:45:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure, I'm quite a bit north of Grafton, but maybe Prairiehawk would know.
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  1:20:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Nadine! I just checked out your photos and they are so cheerful! I've been in that earthship! My husband and a couple of friends rented an earthship one night while in Taos and we met the girl with the keys at the one in your photo. I would totally love to live in one. They are the ultimate off-the-grid experience! I hope that you will sell lots of photos. I especially liked the smiling cloud!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  7:47:11 PM  Show Profile
Belle--I believe the Fin Inn is still open, but I'm not 100% positive. I only get up there maybe five or six times a year, and the place has changed so much in just the past year or two...there is a winery that has built a new building in front of the condos and it seems to be a popular place but I avoid it cause it's too commercial. Like the wine, but not the environment. The antique stores still offer some pretty good deals. One place I enjoy is a bar/restaurant called the Rotten Apple. They actually serve alligator bites--real alligator deep fried like shrimp. Hmm, maybe there really are some gators hiding out on those islands....
As for Ghandi--I try to live by his quote that we must be the change we wish to see in the world. Cause if we're not, who will? Or to paraphrase it, be the person you wish you had been after you pass from this life.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Nadine Bozek
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Nadine
Aurora, IL
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  8:14:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for stopping in my shop Nikki! I know. I love those earthships. I'd love to be off the grid!!! We just had a tour of the earth ship when we were in Taos. I didn't know you could spend the night in one. That must have been so much fun. I wish I could give every homeless person an earth ship to live in. Taos was a very special town. Did you eat at Michael's restuarant by any chance when you were in the Taos area? I still dream about their refried beans. The food there was so excellant, we ate there three times in a row.
Nadine
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  9:13:42 PM  Show Profile
Just had to see what an Earthship is...Nadine, your photos are gorgeous. I would so love to visit Taos. I hope your photography business succeeds beyond your wildest dreams.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  04:19:13 AM  Show Profile
We didn't get to eat at Michael's. We ate at a restaurant in the El Torreon Hacienda. I don't even remember the meal, but I ordered the carrot cake and the lady who makes it has had 26 offers of marriage after the men tasted it. HA! So after I ate it (because it was heavenly), I had to get down on one knee and say, "I know this is unconventional, but will you marry me?" We had a big laugh over that.

We only got to spend the weekend there. I didn't realize how much I would love New Mexico. I felt like I was on another planet. A wild, mysterious place with secrets tucked into every crevice. I grabbed a stack of real estate books and read them on the way home. I SOOOO wanted to move there!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

Nadine Bozek
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Nadine
Aurora, IL
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  06:22:38 AM  Show Profile
Prariehawk, you would love it there!!! I was so excited by the creative energy there, I couldn't sleep the first night! It's like a paradise for creative people, and in spite of all the interesting, cool shops it feels like a small town and is very home-y. And the landscape and geography there are so thrilling! They say there is no other place like it and I believe it. Sante Fe seemed dull in comparisson. I don't know if they still have it, but they had fruit trees in the public park, so people walking by, could just pick the apples if they were hungry.

Thank you for the compliment on my photos. I really appreciate the positive feedback!!

Edited by - Nadine Bozek on Apr 22 2009 06:33:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nadine Bozek
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Nadine
Aurora, IL
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  06:42:26 AM  Show Profile
Nikki, that is hilarious!!! I laughed out loud when I read it. Great story. Gary (my partner) and I still talk lovingly about the food at Michael's. We love New Mexico too. It is our dream to move out West someday. Either New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, or Arizona. You write so well and describe New Mexico so perfectly:a wild, mysterious place with secrets tucked into every crevice. Before I went out west a few years ago, I had never seen (in real life) a mountain, adobe houses or cactus growing outside. I know the word "magical" is overused, but I felt it was truly magical. I just googled el Torreon Hacienda. We didn't go there, and I didn't know it existed. It looks really interesting. Sorry we missed it, but maybe next time we are in the area. Thanks for hearting my etsy store, by the way. I appreciate it! Nadine

Edited by - Nadine Bozek on Apr 22 2009 11:33:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  11:27:11 AM  Show Profile
Nadine - I am so envious of your camping trip! I love Starved Rock State Park. Our school used to take us on a field trip there every year and I remember hiking and climbing through all the rocks. I miss Illinois so much - there are so many pretty things there to see.

Handmade Soap & Lotion Bars http://www.therusticcottagebath.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nadine Bozek
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Nadine
Aurora, IL
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  11:37:58 AM  Show Profile
Kay, Wow! your school used to take you to Starved Rock? That is incredible! I like Illinois, but I am surprised you miss it since I understand Vancouver, to be beautiful. We are lucky that we are near Starved Rock. We hike there quite frequently, and in the winter, sometimes we go there to sit in the lodge by the big stone fireplace. They have a thing called "eagle weekend" in January I believe. For some reason there are tons and tons of eagles there during this two week window in January. They like to fish in the river.
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  2:17:37 PM  Show Profile
Nadine, it is funny that you should say that I write so well because I was impressed with all of the descriptive words that you used in your original post - soulful, rousing, ravishing and poignant. I like the way you express yourself. I hope that you will get to travel and photograph and sell photos and travel and.... Well, you get the picture!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Outpost: Previous Topic Camping in Illinois...yes it can be fun! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page