Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Finally Gave Up on My Garden Fantasy....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Finally Gave Up on My Garden Fantasy.... Next Topic  

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  11:57:27 AM  Show Profile
Well, I finally gave up on my vegetable garden fantasy. My city lot is just too small, shaded, and uneven to plant. I joined my local CSA instead, and I'm taking out rows of ornamental bushes and replacing them with blueberry and raspberry bushes. Will probably do some little containers of this-and-that as well. Oh well...I guess I can't win ALL the time....

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  12:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Oh, I am so sorry that you were not able to plant a vegetable garden.

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  12:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's too bad! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  12:39:04 PM  Show Profile
Sorry it didn't work out for you, but YAY for the berries!! And the CSA is a fun idea, too. That way you will get a good assortment every time and not be inundated with one thing. Kinda like Christmas whenever you get your share!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  8:55:00 PM  Show Profile
I have lots of room for a garden but have decided to join a CSA. this is my second year and I support my local farmer and he supports them too.
Sorry you had to give up your fantasy garden but it sounds like you are going to have lots of other stuff to take care of and a surprise package each week. YUM!!!

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - May 09 2009 :  10:16:48 AM  Show Profile
We joined a CSA last year and I loved it. It ended up just being too far to drive though. This year, I'm trying my square foot garden again - just enough for DH & myself (unless all those zucchini plants...)

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  08:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Sorry to hear about your garden. I too try but have found that the wonderful farmers market we have on Saturdays is more fun then my own vegtable garden. I met so many new people when I go and bring home such beautiful produce and a huge variety that I could never have in my own garden. Being just two in our house except when the kids come the farmers market is less costly. I now stick to fibers and flowers.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 1 with 3 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  06:49:35 AM  Show Profile
I've given up on the idea as well...until one of these big trees comes down, at least. I'm saving up and making my plans...
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  09:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jessie,
I think you will love the CSA.. GREAT produce and meeting great people. There is a time and place for everything, apparently you are suppose to be doing the CSA thing during this time.. so enjoy it!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  11:24:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry, Jessie Mae! But everyone's right; one door closed to you but another has opened! You will learn so much about gardening from the CSA folks. And you get to try out different kinds of veggies and will know exactly what to plant when you do get to have that garden! Chin up, girlie! You may find that you've won more than you ever imagined!

~~Cherry~~

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  11:29:30 AM  Show Profile
I hear Jams and Jellies in your future! And smoothies, and cobblers, and muffins and pies...oh, and cordial! Lots of possibilities with what you're planting!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  5:56:59 PM  Show Profile
Jessie
Check on the internet and with the city if there are any victory or community gardens. I found one in my town just a few months ago and I have lived here for 20 years. Also contact the master gardener group and they will know what and where you can have a garden. Keep the dream going.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Finally Gave Up on My Garden Fantasy.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page