lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  11:30:09 AM  Show Profile
If so, what is it like? Does it work well for you, or what would you change about it? What do you keep in it? What do you put the food in? How do you keep out rodents/bugs?

I would really like to make a root cellar and was just wondering how anyone else likes them. I think our basement would work well for some things, I just really need to read more about it. But all cellars are kinda creepy to me, so I have to get over that first...

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  11:52:52 AM  Show Profile
I live in an old house that came with a root cellar. It IS kind of creepy. Mine is pretty humid and clammy, which gives it a dungeony feeling. And I have a fear of bats, which I suspect live in the rafters and are just waiting to swoop down when I reach for the lightbulb chain to swoop down and infect me with rabies....

But anyway, I think all a root cellar has to be is really cool and kind of humid. Are you thinking like a storm cellar kind, or something simple like the trashcan method?

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  12:35:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jessie, you aren't really helping me out on the creep factor of cellars!!! Mwahaha! Swooping bats aren't my thing!

I am thinking probably in-between the two, but closer to storm cellar I guess...We live in a pretty old house, too, and our basement is generally fairly dry. It has a sand floor if that makes sense. I just really don't like going down there, but maybe I could sweet talk my husband into putting in more lights to help out, like at the top stair... I guess I need to set up a thermometer down there to see how cold it gets, and check the humidity. I tend to read too much on a subject and get bogged down in details that really are simple.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  12:55:20 PM  Show Profile
On a (sort of!) humorous note, my city-living brother likes to send me redneck pictures. He sent me one of an outdoor root cellar. These guys had buried (to the roof) an old short-style school bus. At the end they had dug it out and cemented in stairs for access to the back emergency door. At first I laughed, but then I started looking at it. It's virtually all metal and shatterproof glass, so leak and critter proof. I thought the idea was brilliant! LOL
Di
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  2:56:38 PM  Show Profile
Our celler is 10' X 10' with 7' celing. It is below ground except for 2' or so that is above ground. The walls and celing/roof is 8 inches of concrete. Bad part--- The cement roof heats up in the summer and it is never more than 10 degrees cooler in the celler than outside. That means 90 degrees in the summer. And does not cool much over night. We have put styrofoam insulation and a deck on top of the celler to try and keep it cooler. Now it is 80 degrees. Now down on the floor it is cooler but not much. So when we harvest the potatoes and onions it is way too hot down there to store stuff. I did store some apples last fall and they did well. It never freezes. We store a lot of canned goods on the lower shelves and store "stuff" on the upper shelves. Still a good hidie hole in case of a tornado. But not much of a root celler. Main thing if I were to do it over again is to have it deep enough to cover the top with soil or build a building on top.
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  8:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Belle...hidie hole in case of tornado? That's funny. Our family calls them "fraidy holes."

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  9:17:39 PM  Show Profile
My grandma had a root cellar under her sun room, which was off the kitchen. I was only down there once or twice--it was dark, cool, and clammy. I don't remember what she kept in there, it was so dark. I just knew that it was the first place I'd head for if I ever spotted a tornado (fortunately, I've yet to see an actual tornado). What scared me most about it was the possibility of spiders lurking in the dark--ugh, I'm getting chills just thinking about it!
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  10:23:35 PM  Show Profile
Mine is not really a "root Cellar" per say, I call it a fruit room....
It is built on the end of our house, above ground, it is only 8x8' but, the walls are 1 1/2 feet thick(my DH put real good insulation and then that silver covered insulation board and the outside is just plywood), the ceiling also. The floor is cement....... it never gets over 40 degrees or so, and in the summer it can get over 120* where I live......
I had a terrible time with mice, then we put those ultrasonic thingys in there, and voila, no mice............also put the metal screening in the corners(where they were getting in).
It works great! I can keep carrots, potatoes, apples, tomatoes, all of my canned goods(home canning).and bird seed and cat food.....works great.........

Farmgirl Sister #368
"It is most common for man to value most what has least worth."
My Farm and Garden blog....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  08:42:37 AM  Show Profile
I am actually going to retrofit our basement for this purpose. I found a book at the St. Vincent Depaul thrift written in the 1970's by this hippie dippie back to the earth guy about the art of root cellaring. Really easy to do, I think, if you have the right spot. I think we do--no bats, anyway :)
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  08:49:56 AM  Show Profile
My parents' basement was always cool in summer, and it had a little brick-floored room at one end with built in shelves. They called it "the root cellar" but didn't really use it as such.

Now, those of you who find basements creepy may get a laugh out of this: what we did use it for was being the dungeon in our make-believe games. If you go in there today, you may still find rusty swing-set chains, a pile of old burlap "blankets", and piteous notes and cross-mark calendars scratched on the plaster walls.

My current basement has an impressively insulated "root cellar" room. The first owner of the house was a butter-and-egg man, and we think he probably had some primitive cooling equipment installed. Can't use it, though, because my husband has his drums set up right against the door.
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  08:57:23 AM  Show Profile
I'd give anything to have a root cellar, have thought that many times! When I was a kid we had friends who lived on a farm and we visited often. They had a root cellar and a springhouse. They had dairy cattle so there was always milk and butter in the springhouse. They had an apple orchard with swings in and violets grew underneath. Aahhh, memories!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  08:59:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Suzan

I'd give anything to have a root cellar, have thought that many times! When I was a kid we had friends who lived on a farm and we visited often. They had a root cellar and a springhouse. They had dairy cattle so there was always milk and butter in the springhouse. They had an apple orchard with swings in and violets grew underneath. Aahhh, memories!

That sounds like heaven!

My Nanny, in Kansas, had a root cellar, too...it was also a "hidey hold" for those crazy Dorothy-style tornadoes they got in Kiowa!

Amie--I'm cracking up at your dungeon games as kids. Hysterical!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  09:35:54 AM  Show Profile
I've been researching them for a very long time. Just cannot get the hubs on board to help me make one. Seems to me I'll just have to do it myself. Thanks for all the helpful hints in your comments!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  09:55:03 AM  Show Profile
Ooooh, a springhouse! Now that's really cool!
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  09:52:00 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure if we have a root cellar, or basement. We have a cement room under our garage with seats or shelves. It stays cool in the summer. We use it to store extra food and that is where I'll be storing the stuff I learn to can this year. I've always been afraid of critters being down there, but so far, nothing, not even spiders. We put some potatoes down there, but they were left in the bag so they didn't survive very well. My hubby put our onions down there spread out on some paper sacks and they are doing very well.

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  11:51:10 AM  Show Profile
Amie, your memories of your parents celler/basement reminded me of my parents basement. They first moved to the farm 65 years ago. There was nothing in the basement and the sump pump rarely worked so when it rained there would be a couple of feet of water down there. I always wanted to play in it like an indoor swimming pool but Daddy wouldn't let me. Hummmmmmmm wonder why? Later he did some improvements and his central heat and stuff like that are in the basement. Now my son and his wife live there and the basement is my DIL's craft room with potters wheel and all. Still not an attractive place with all the duct work in the celing. Oh well, there's no water down there so it can be what ever they want.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  5:08:46 PM  Show Profile
My friends have a root cellar, and it is mostly filled with mold. I have a cellar, , no bats but I have found the occasional salamander down there. When I had some work done on my house qa few years ago I had a pantry built, and there is a door from it to the outside. North side of the house, so it is wicked cold, that works pretty well for me, also what we laughingly refer to as the mudroom, when you first come in, it is not heated and it works great for a cold cellar spot.

I didn't think bats like cellars, but maybe that is just because the bats at my house are all out in the barn. I like to think of them chowing down on black flies and mosquitos so I am a big fan of bats.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  2:57:37 PM  Show Profile
My neigbors are building one in their backyard. I just watch while they build to see how this will work.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  9:50:06 PM  Show Profile
The book Root Cellaring by Mike and Nancy Bubel is awesome. Lots of neato ideas, what certain crops need for maximum storage life, etc. I love that book.

I have a great place to store canned goods - dry (damp will rust the metal lids/rings) and a constant 65-70* year round since it's underneath my kitchen in the basement.

But a good root cellar? Still working on it.
My idea of burying a dead chest freezer (just a little 4cf one) got shot down by the hubby.
Making a big window egress hole and insulating it would involve tearing out part of a basement wall around an existing tiny window and digging up a lot of dirt there by the house.
Digging and building an underground root cellar with a big wood storage shed at ground level (that could be locked!) that's attached to the laundry room would involve all kinds of madness.

So in the meantime, I drool and live vicariously through others.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  04:09:46 AM  Show Profile
Lanna~ I think I am going to get that book. I keep seeing it everywhere on the internet, I just need to go on and buy it! So can you tell me why your husband shot down that idea? I was thinking of trying that, too. We have an old freezer in our garage that I wanted to try it with. I haven't told my DH about it though...
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  5:08:00 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lovelady

Lanna~ I think I am going to get that book. I keep seeing it everywhere on the internet, I just need to go on and buy it! So can you tell me why your husband shot down that idea? I was thinking of trying that, too. We have an old freezer in our garage that I wanted to try it with. I haven't told my DH about it though...

I checked the book out from the library a few times, and after time #4 decided I better just buy a copy for myself.

Well, besides digging a 4'x4'x4' hole in our rock yard (the bermuda grass is here for fun between the rocks) for our little baby chest freezer (it's only a 4cf one) and figuring out a little mouse/ant/bug-proof ventilation system, he's not thrilled. Well, and I bet part of it is the three kids we've got underfoot. Just in case.

I think the attempt I'm going to make this year is having him build some food-only shelves in the garage next to our spare fridge (and away from the oil and chainsaw gas) for me to stick onions and winter squash. I had a few butternuts I bought locally in October that I ate in February/March. I just left them rolling around on the carpet in front of the fridge (not directly on concrete), and only had to eat the last one at that point because someone knocked the stem off and it was trying to mold. So if I can get some decent shelves and okay crates to store stuff, that may be a decent inexpensive middle ground...

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2009 :  6:10:52 PM  Show Profile
I remember my grandmothers root cellar in Missouri when I was a little girl. I loved it. She had shelves built in and they were loaded with jars of wonderful goodies. I remember looking around and being totally amazed at all the beautiful colors in those jars. She was a true farmwoman. She made her own soap,canned all of their food, drew water from the well, tied her watermelons and milkcans in the spring that was in the back yard and cooked on a wood stove. We took baths in the creek and in a big galvinized tub on the back porch. I bit into my first fresh tomato in her garden,right off the vine. At the time I thought it was all so primitive. Now... I would give anything to go back to that time, talk to her,learn from her. Walk with her through her garden,her cellar,stare into her spring so full of surprises. Wow, I have so many memories. I should write them down. Excuse me I need a hankie.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  08:00:31 AM  Show Profile
We have a small cellar (maybe 25 x 12) - which in and of itself is rare, as here in Louisiana we have a real high water table. It's even more surprising that it stays dry. I bought the book Root Cellaring, by Mike Baubel and really liked it. I just get confused, because some veggies require the cool humid cellar and some like it dry. We want to fit ours out with trays and whatever to store our root veggies and apples, but haven't gotten that far, yet. And, no. No bats, no critters so far!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Gardengal
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Terra
Prosser Wa
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  08:55:08 AM  Show Profile
I always thought it would be cool to build a root cellar with a low pitched roof that you could grow on top of...like those roof top gardens..from the roof, into the cellar! I think I will work on my husband for this at our new place next spring..

~Gardengal~
It's the little things...
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  09:47:43 AM  Show Profile
I think I may have talked my DH into helping me work on our cellar/basement to try and make it more of a place I don't mind going into. But I still need to figure out how to store things so that they are rodent-proof. We usually have a couple of mice get in our house every winter since we are surrounded by corn/bean fields. They have never really been a problem because we can usually get rid of them quickly, but it seems like having so much food down there would attract mice. Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Anyone have a root cellar? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page