flowerkeeper
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

rhonda
beaumont texas
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  05:51:35 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you ladies every planted a pomegranite seed? I would love to have a tree but, I'm not sure if I can successfully grow one from seed or it I should lookd for a small plant.

all that glitters is not gold, and all who wander aren't lost....

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  09:27:58 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda, interesting that you are posting this and you are in TX also! Probably because we have Pommegranates growing wild around here....
We had dozens of Pommegranate bushes at our old house and when we moved I wanted some here. From everone I asked about planting/sowing them I got just a blank look so when I found two plants at a nursery, I snatched them up! They have been in the ground for two years now and grew to about twice their original size. I give them extra water when it is very dry around here and they get their weekly sprinkling because they are surrounded by lawn. Someone told me not to feed them. They grow wild because they like the meager soil and a "rocky" environment.

From this hour I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  10:29:11 AM  Show Profile
I think I've tried to grow just about everything from seed at one point or another! I have grown several pommegranate bushes from seed from a commercial fruit I bought at a grocery store. I have no idea whether they will ever bear fruit, but they look really nice in large pots on my patio in the summer. One of the more knowledgeable ladies at our Farmer's Market said they will flower and that the flowers were really heavily scented. They are four years old now and I'm hoping for maybe even just one flower this summer!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2006 :  11:32:09 AM  Show Profile
COOL! Never thought of planting this kind of seed. I'm in the South and notice pomigranates (sp) in abundance around the holidays in the stores.

I'm a HUGE fan of the juice. Just wish it wasn't so expensive.

It would be worth a try just to see anyway.

So you probably already know that this fruit is the highest in antioxidants. Higher than blueberries, green tea and red wine. To your health!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic growing pomegranites Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page