Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I just have more choices...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I just have more choices... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  1:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
When I am a smaller size. I do NOT advocate being a stick thin person (unless that is natural for you) just to wear a certain size BUT I have be perusing the clothing sections in the store and honestly, I just have more choice, even when I was a 12-14 than I do now at a 18-20. I know that shouldn't be a motivating factor to lose weight but honestly, it is. I am so sick of the sack look and complete lack of business wear that doesn't just tent out. I am really motivated to be in a size 14 by August, just so I can buy a new interview suit and set off on my career. It is all about health but I like having more choices especially since no matter what size I am, I will always be curvy and hard to fit. I just can't win, ya know!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  1:56:36 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I am about the same size and I can never find anything I like anymore except big t-shirts and jeans. I am either going to have to lose this weight or start making my clothes. Neither one sounds like much fun, but I need to do something. I do want to make some skirts for summer. My mom is a small size and she can always find the cutest things. Even at Goodwill she found the cutest brand new suit that still had the tag on it. I find nothing.

Good luck with whatever you do. Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  2:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I really hate to be about size but gosh, I really wish someone would do something about pretty clothes in larger sizes instead of just talking about it. I had to buy the ugliest shirt for my internship and I was hating it the whole day I wore it.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  7:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I so agree with you. A few years ago they put a super wal-mart in the town I live in. They promised a better selection of clothes for us bigger gals and no it did not happen. If anything our selection got way smaller and the clothes are all horrid. Big ugly flowers. I love flowers but not on my clothes. And jeans. I can't find one pair that will fit me right. I did get lucky at the goodwill the other day and find three pairs of jeans in my size.

I don't know if it's so much our size that we are concerned with. Well I am to a point because of health reasons. I think it's more because it's hard to feel good about yourself if you don't like or you're not comfortable with what you're wearing. I have a little reward plan in mind for myself. I really want to get a healthier lifestyle going. I don't want to be a stick figure, not that I would ever be one anyway. I'm curvy too. And really I like my curves, just not real crazy about the rolls. LOL The other day my guy and I were at RCC Western Store on the mall and I found the cutest top. It's made by Cruel Girl. It's a coral color with black trim and teeny tiny black polka dots. But it's like $50. ouch. But I have decided that when I drop 50 pounds I will treat myself to that shirt if they still have it in stock and provided I have the extra cash.

Melanie

Shop~ http://www.squidoo.com/buyinghomemade
Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  7:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Very valid point Melanie. Yes, if I feel ok about myself but put on U G L Y clothes with the wrong fit or color, I won't feel good at all. I am a very visual person, so this probably affects me more than most. I love Cruel Girl too!! They have a pink shirt with a "C" on it...thought I could get it for Cowgirl or Charlie!! : )

Motivation is always good. I too am thinking about health vice size, just where I am at is not healthy at all. I feel tired, bloated, nothing fits, I am cranky. BLAH!!!

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  11:58:51 PM  Show Profile
Girls, I can totally relate! DH and I went to Elko NV 2 wks ago and DH and DD were getting boots and clothing, but there wasn't anything in the western stores for me.....not in what I call my section of the store "the fat woman's section". Needless to say I was upset. Then we went to a new store that had opened in the Coral West building and guess what????????? They had "fat chick" clothes!!(that's not a name brand, just my term) The prices were spendy, but I did find 2 shirts that were reasonable, so I bought them. Then last week we were in Coeur d'Alene for a few hours so I stopped at JoAnn Fabrics and found some pretty cotton material for $1/yd. Yup, you can believe it, it was $1/yd. I bought it and plan on using the 2 shirts I bought as patterns and making my own shirts. (of course I'll need to find time to do this, but even if I have to wait til winter, I'll do it)
I don't know why the designers think only thin people should wear cute and fashionable clothing.
You know, I used to be able to find jeans at walmart that would fit, then they changed all the sizes so an 18 is not a XXL, instead of a XL. And they stopped carrying the 18 stretch jeans. They were so comfy. OH, and who ever said that it was okay to make big jeans that only come up to your hip bones? I hate that! When that's the style, you can't hardly find an alternative except at thrift stores.

Heather, I do know that the higher priced stores, the boutiques with good quality, have good sales at the change of seasons. When I was in CT and in the professional arena, I got lots of clothes for 75% off which really made them affordable for a quality business suit. Their sizes are different also. When I wore a walmart 18 , I wore a 16 in the clothes in the boutique. I guess people with money don't like to think they are fat so they give them smaller sizes on the labels. I think it's funny.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  06:17:13 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
You want to hear something "sad" I'm a 6 but I cram myself in it :-p depending on where I shop my size is get this crazy stuff 2-8?!!!! Go figure! But I claim a 6. It's amazing that even at this size, mind you I'm small boned (after you pass the pudge) and 5'2 and 3/4 so I'm petite but at my biggest weight, I still have less options or they are looking wonky on me. I know I prob shop in diff places but its still so dumb. I totally get it. I used to not worry about what things would look like when I was at a smaller size.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  07:40:22 AM  Show Profile
Heather,
I don't know if you have Targets in Texas, but they have a great "larger woman" business section that won't break the bank.
Otherwise I know what you mean about being larger and clothes making you look even larger. When I was pregnant. . .Boy! Was I as big as a compact car. Target was the only place I could find maternity clothes, that fit and were stylish.
As for Walmart, as a rule I just try not to shop there. I always feel ripped off. When I have bought clothes there they are 2xx (which I really don't care to see, I usually cut out tags that say that) and then they shrink the first time I wash them and better fit my cat!
I wish I was more skilled with a sew machine, but I have a terrrible time fallowing directions! ha
Anyway best to your body image (I know Texas is no joke when it comes to women taking care of themselves, I had never seen so many beauty salons, well except in Minnesota) lol.
Best,
h

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  08:28:08 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
We do Heide and the selection is scarce at best. I just want to be a healthy weight that can fit into a some pretty clothes.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  08:32:28 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Something that I've been learning is to not take to heart the scale, but to see how my clothes fit, which since I've been exercising and cutting back a little in eating they fit a TAD bit better.....Let's hope more!

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  09:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I have never gone by the scale. When I was super fit, I was 165 but my BMI was only 17% and I am 5' 8" tall. Compared to someone that is shorter and weight less, yes I look huge but I was probably healthier.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  09:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
well if your bone structure is "bigger" or you're more muscular so be it!!!! I envy those women that look like they could lift and handle anything. I look less than that......I have NO upper body strength no matter WHAT I do. I've worked to get it. I think if I could figure how to get that I'd have less back problems. That was a great BMI! Gosh dunno what mine is now and don't wanna :-p

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  09:57:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm somewhere between a beefy 8-9 and sometimes a (gulp) 10 even though I hate to admit it.

Well, top half is tiny, bottom half is WELL porportioned.

Sometimes when I shop, I'll say....just pick what fits and makes you feel good. Look at the size later.

And yes, I could whittle down to a 6 again, but would risk a very happy marriage due to being prepetually crabby from STARVATION!

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  10:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
ew starving is not an option!!!! lol food is happiness :-p quality food that is!:) If I am healthy I should be closer to a 2 or 3 not a 6 but I just want to be firm and fit and be able to lift things.....

I think as long as we're active no matter what number we wear we should be content! I don't like the jiggles and I haven't even had kids!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  12:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I totally get what you mean, Heather! It seems that the cutest clothes are around a size 8-10!

Have you looked at Cold Water Creek? They ususally have some GREAT things!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  1:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Here is my other problem. We have chilly, HOT and TEXAS HOT weather here. I can't buy anything heavy because I would sweat to death. Finding cute, light weight clothing is not happening at this size.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  1:23:11 PM  Show Profile
I have a large bust and that has always been a problem for me. Shirts don't fit me right :(

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ranchetta
True Blue Farmgirl

318 Posts

carol
Marysville Wahington
USA
318 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  4:58:55 PM  Show Profile
Girls.....One of my good friends wears about that size or maybe a bit larger and she gets the cutest clothes at Lane Bryant Stores I mean really fashionable things for reasonable prices.

http://curlywillowsranch.blogspot.com/
http://alteredshots.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  12:26:49 AM  Show Profile
I have said it here a few times: I am way too skinny :(
Also very difficult to find right fitting clothes, because i am also tall (6 feet)
So whenever I find something that sort of fits, I buy it (if the price is right) and try to alter it to fit me better. I know nowadays people are getting taller, so that length should be not the biggest problem. BUT because I am so skinny it is. My size is almost always too short. And getting a bigger size doesn't help much either, still too short.
I am glad I can make my own clothes and alter store bought :)
That is also a reason why i started buying at the thrift, many smaller sizes are there because people are getting heavier and have to get rid of their small sizes.

I bought the cutest RED 9YES red) pair of DKNY jeans this week, NEW and never worn, for only 1 (ONE) dollar!!It is one size too big, so have to take it in somewhat, but the length is great! And the color is cute too, lol.
Plus my jeans jackets i bought are also from the thrift, cheap as 2 dollars and I am going to pimp them too, lol.

I also understand it is not easy to buy nice and cute things in bigger sizes. Fortunately in the bigger town I work there are a few stores that cater esp. to the large and very large sizes and they have the CUTEST things, very pretty and very modern too. NO sack shapes but really pretty and lovely bright colors

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  05:49:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I so get what you're saying!! I found a line at Wmart that's called something like "Instantly Slims You". I'm in the living room right now and hubs is asleep in the bedroom and don't want to bother him but the tags are on the back of the pants. I used to buy those pricey jeans at the western store (in Sweetwater, TX! no less), I can't think of the name. It's a Wrangler brand... Something like Azur...name escapes me. Anywho, they are really expensive but then I found the Instantly Slims You ones for half the price. They are cut for us 'generous' women and oh-so-comfy without looking dumpy!!

Then Wmart has some blouses that are on sale quite a bit and meant to slim. I thought they would shrink but they haven't. I've used them hard while trucking and out at my barn. They still look good too, amazingly so. I use a steam iroon on them if they get too wrinkly out of the dryer.

But I can't stand those big flowers and garish blouses. I've thought of making clothes for us more-there-to-love women and when I get my sewing machine out of storage next week, I'm starting my experiment. I've been a little bigger while on the truck and have lost some but things are sagging and the tummy stuff just is flat stubborn. Looking at pics of my mother and g-mother, they were a little on the hefty side too and I'm not out of line. But I'm pretty healthy and I guess that's just the way it is.

Winona ;-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I just have more choices... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page