Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Random things you see on the beach
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Random things you see on the beach Next Topic  

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  4:45:08 PM  Show Profile
And they are not always from nature! Today we saw a bra-pad from the top of a swimsuit. It was a peach color, shaped like a falsie and lying forlornly in the sand.....we saw colored egg shells from some leftover Easter egg hunt, two mis-matched flip flops washed up by the waves, a gull trying to eat a plastic worm-shaped piece of fishing lure (other gulls were fighting him for it).....a number patch from a beach race, and a sleeping bag all soggy.

But the tides keep coming in and out, leaving their marks, and nature seems to march on no matter what we litter around......

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  5:39:39 PM  Show Profile
Yes, it is depressing the things we find on the beach here too. I know I am an old lady now but I find it revolting when I see the stuff people feel free to litter the world with. I could go off on my "loss of civility,etc." rants, but I just try to pick up what I can and not add to the rubble.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  5:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh that is so sad! That poor beach!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjournies.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  6:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
We just got back from Corpus. We drove along the beach and saw the under carriage of a vehicle that didn't make it too far in the sand, a large beat up cooler and lots of wrappers and such. Disgusting!!! I actually rake the area we played in to make sure it was safe.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  06:19:43 AM  Show Profile
Last time I went to the beach, I walked around a bit of a bend and almost tripped over a couple having sex. Eeeewwww. Get a room, folks.

But at least they'll get up and walk away (eventually!). The trash won't do that.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  5:18:45 PM  Show Profile
We see bits of trash on the beaches at West Palm too.

I always have been fascinated to go walk at daybreak to see what the tide has brought up.

Kind of sad too.

I once found a baby sea turtle and never could grasp how tiny these guys are 'till I held it in my hand. It was already on its way out, so we buried it past the high tide mark.

Worst experience was on a beach somewhere in Africa. Thought the pretty black blob in the sand was a polished rock I could take home. To test, I stuck a toe on it and drew back a toe covered in oil! After scanning all over, you could pick up on the blobs all over the beach. All I could think of was the poor animals having to cope with this, and the countless others that have suffered and died in this stuff from various spills all over the world. This particular spill had happened about 100 miles away.

It was thick and sticky and did not come off easily at all.

And thank goodness I have yet to be on a beach where medical waste has washed up. I think the vacation would just have to end right there.

Other intriging finds were HUGE teak logs that had washed upon the same beach. These logs were hundreds of years old, left to rest here from past shipwrecks. Kinda cool
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  5:41:15 PM  Show Profile
I lived in West Palm in the early 70's and each tme we went to the beach, when we got home there would be black sticky dots on the bottom of our feet. It was oil. I have not had that happen in a long time, which tells me our American beaches are cleaner now than they were then. That is a good thing. There have been times when we have seen syringes, but that also has been a long time ago.

Today we spent our walk picking up broken glass so no one would have cuts on their feet.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  8:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The thing I remember most from the beaches in California was the huge piles of seaweed that had washed up. I really did not like the smell. :x

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  1:18:55 PM  Show Profile
That's so sad! Stuff like that really depresses me (not in a clinical way). I wish human beings were more responsible about their actions. That's basically all it comes down to...responsibility.

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  3:01:07 PM  Show Profile
Its not just the beaches. I walked my 2 year old grandson to the park about 1/2 mile from where I live. I saw cigerette butts, pop & water bottles. a few dirty diapers, paper cups, nails, just plain junk. My girlfriend lives in the country she's 82yrs old and she claims on her daily one mile walk that she picks up at least 5 items of junk everyday. Its sad.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  4:27:15 PM  Show Profile
On each of our beach walks we spen time gathering and picking up glass and other junk. Then we put it in the trash barrel when we got back to the condo. If more of us did that each time we walk in the forest, beach, parks, or anywhere, it would make a difference. And I know famrgirls do this automatically!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  03:53:02 AM  Show Profile
I do the same when walking in the woods.

Best find of trash by far was the enitre (emptied) 24 pack of beer and the box, 6 glass wine cooler bottles and 2 empty cans of snuff

Had to get kind of creative in order to haul this stuff back out.

What are people (not) thinking!

And never mind this is just down the creek and into the woods.

I have noticed this weeks since it is spring break how the young boys on their 4 wheelers and dirt bikes are frequenting this area for the moment.

I feel like leaving a note at the beginnig of the trail for these boys to start leaving more 10's and 20's and less trash!

Yesterday I recovered 1 beer can, 1 plastic energy drink vial and the top off a drink cup.

Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  05:42:51 AM  Show Profile
Ok, this was twenty years ago but... I went to the beach on the Jersey shore my in laws had a home there. I had my son who was one or two yrs old and sis with me she said what is he digging in the sand with....It was A plastic tampon applicator. That was the grossest thing I ever saw!!!! I scrubbed his poor little hands until I thought they would fall off. YUCK!!!!!!

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Random things you see on the beach Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page