Virginia
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Virginia
Brooklyn New York
26 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  07:59:15 AM  Show Profile
Hello From Brooklyn!

My name is Virginia and I'm a new Farmgirl sister (#531!)! I'm an Irish-Mexican, originally from Texas, who spent all my summers on my grandfather's ranch in Mexico driving around in my grandfather's pick-up truck and riding my own horse Tovarich!

Seems like a life-time ago. Now I live in Brooklyn in a very diverse neighborhood called Kensington where people from all over the world live and get along just fine. It makes me proud of the Unites States. I have a nice husband and two kids (a boy and a girl, ages 10 and 4). And since the last post asked, I'm 46 years old (with a 4 year old! What was I thinking?! Yikes!)

We live in a old house that has been in my husband's family forever! My children are the fifth generation to live in the house. (spooky.)

But what makes my life make sense, is that we have a little house up in the Catskills. As a girl, I was a fierce tomboy and didn't do anything girlie like read books. Yuke! But I did fall in love with one book that I read and reread over and over again. Maybe you ladies have read it. My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George. I Loved that Book! And it is set in the town of Andes in the Catskills. The very sound of the Catskills was magical to me.

Years later, I met my husband, whose working class family had managed to buy 68 acres of land in the Catskills - in Andes! Now I have a huge garden that I love, wild raspberries that I make jam from, and the most beautiful view of the Catskills. Life is amazing! And I am very blessed!

Well, that's enough about me! Except to say I am so glad to have found you wonderful women! I hope I can contribute in some way to this wonderful community. Take care, sisters!

Virginia From Brooklyn

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  1:00:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Virginia!

Welcome!

Merry

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

Virginia
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Virginia
Brooklyn New York
26 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  1:41:08 PM  Show Profile
Thank you! It feels wonderful to be a part of this community of women.

Virginia

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  3:46:59 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Virginia! So nice to meet you, and your raspberry jam has my mouth watering! How wonderful to be the steward to such a grand piece of earth!! I imagine your garden IS huge, with all that acreage to play on. You will truly enjoy your time spent here on the forum; it is filled with amazing women. Hugs, Nance
Go to Top of Page

Virginia
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Virginia
Brooklyn New York
26 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  08:46:13 AM  Show Profile
Thank you! Nance. And are you really in France???! Wonderful! And I agree! The women on this forum are amazing. I'm grateful I found Mary Janes. And my garden is big for me, but not huge. As soon as I figure out how to upload pictures, I'll post one. I hope you have a wonderful week - in France!!!!! Virginia in Brooklyn.
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  6:39:00 PM  Show Profile
Welcome and send pictures of you and your garden.
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  04:59:04 AM  Show Profile
A big hug from one of the Louisiana farm girls! Oh, Virginia! I remember reading that book when I was young, and loved it! I'm so glad you could join us. Sounds like you'll fit right in with the rest of us!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  09:34:29 AM  Show Profile
Hugs from Michigan. You are going to love everyone here. We have such fun. Your garden sounds wonderful but your little neighborhood also sounds refreshing. I'm in an area that is not very friendly and hoping to move soon to someplace with people who can learn to enjoy each other for their differences and all they have in common besides STUFF.
Welcome.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  12:37:08 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Virginia, from a Kentucky farmgirl! I look forward to getting to know you. Your place sounds wonderful!

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  12:38:36 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum Virginia!! I hope you enjoy it :)

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  3:38:42 PM  Show Profile
Welcome from Nevada!

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  3:47:13 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, from Idaho! Your place in the Catskills sounds just heavenly. That book was my absolute fav when I was a kid and I read it over and over, too! I wanted to be there and now I am. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

Virginia
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Virginia
Brooklyn New York
26 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  4:30:31 PM  Show Profile
As soon as I can figure out how to load pictures, I'll send some of my Catskills garden. I'm so grateful to hear from all of y'all.

Best!

Virginia from Brooklyn
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  05:32:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Virginia, I am your neighbor (well sort of) I live between the Catskills and the Adirondacks.
What kind of crafts are you into?

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  05:35:36 AM  Show Profile
Hey Virginia. Welcome from Ga. I have always wanted to go to the Catskills. Maybe one day still.

Kris

Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hello From Brooklyn! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page