Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 transport for rescue dog/pups
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic transport for rescue dog/pups Next Topic  

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  7:20:06 PM  Show Profile
I have been looking for quite some time to get a couple of pups, or a couple of trained adult dogs to be LGDs for my quite small herd of goats, (does 7 count as a herd?)
Anyway- I had decided that I wanted to get them from a rescue- and after much searching I discovered a high-kill rate rescue in NC- Gaston to be exact- they keep their owner-surrenders for 3 days before gassing them- and their strays for 7 days- (before doing same)-
I e-mailed them tonight and told them that I would be willing to adopt 2 of their pooches that would fit my needs- yet help the most needy there-
Since I live in Idaho I will need to arrange transport- and I was wondering if any farmgirls out there might be willing to do a relay transport?
I'll know more for sure on Monday- but thought I would throw this out there!

Mazy Day Farm

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  8:06:43 PM  Show Profile
My beloved blue merle Catahoola hound died last June of cancer and I am thinking of getting a rescue dog from the Catahoola rescue dog society and am thinking the same thing, since we are in a rural area and the dog (s) will need to be shipped to me. I don't know where New Meadows is, so I don't know if I can help you or not, but it is really cool that you are trying to take on rescue dogs.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  8:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I might be able to do a short stint across part of Montana. One of the main intertates goes through here, but aren't you in Southern Idaho? So maybe the transport would be going through southern Wyoming instead?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjournies.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  8:18:52 PM  Show Profile
Actually I'm in Mid Idaho- 100 mile north of Boise- but I could meet in Boise- Twin Falls, or even Salt Lake City-

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  8:35:58 PM  Show Profile
They'd be coming from North Carolina? I used to work for a rural shelter and ran transports all the time. I'm in Kentucky--it's unlikely that they'll be coming up my way because they'd be heading more West, I guess. The rescue--do they work with Petfinder? I arranged for a border collie pup who was going to be euth. the next day to get from Kentucky to White Bear Lake, Minnesota in 9 hours...like you, the potential adopter contacted me, and through various Border collie rescue websites, the need for transport spread like wildfire. My husband and I took the first leg because it was our shelter who needed the rescue...

Let me know if they're coming through Louisville, Kentucky or Lexington, Kentucky.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  9:49:49 PM  Show Profile
I am way up in michigan but I think what you are doing is a great thing...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  08:54:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to all- I was contacted by the rescue this morning- and it looks like I'll be getting two little girls- the release date is April 13- so I'll see what is happening when she get ahold of me again- and then I'll know what direction the transport might be going-

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  1:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds good Sandra!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  07:18:22 AM  Show Profile
Yay!!! Two more saved! Keep us posted about the direction the transport will take. Like I said, if they come through northern Kentucky, I'd be glad to help.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  07:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I mapquested the route and this would be the most economical line to take:
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/10-HLbk8N9ikYcgBFkC_9pJ

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  07:48:56 AM  Show Profile
Ok girls- thank you SO much for helping out here- the pups I was asking about were rescued before I could get them- (but at least they were rescued-) BUT- I have another little guy in mind that just got brought in on Tuesday- he won't be able to be released until April 21st- so that leaves me with time to figure out the transport- so what do you think would be the best way to arrange all of the relays and stops- I am also posting on another "rescue transport" group on Yahoo- so I should be able to supplement with them as well-

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  07:53:38 AM  Show Profile
Sandra, I may have missed something here but isn't there dogs in Idaho that need rescued?
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2009 :  11:42:49 AM  Show Profile
Sandra...I would work with the rescue--to start, you can post on Petfinder.com, in the classified section, seeking transporters, but often, rescues have connections across the miles. I did a lot of transports for complete (stranger) shelters so that I could call in favors when I needed dogs transported. One hand washes the other, so to speak.

A lot of the dogs I transported came from Tennessee and Arkansas, and were going up to West Virginia or Columbus, Ohio. At least 4 states over. Depending on the miles, the best way is to see if folks can take 1-2 hour legs, with you taking the last (and the longest). As I mentioned, we ran rescues most every weekend, my husband and I, and the longest leg we took was 3 hours to Bloomington, Illinois. We really enjoy seeing other places, and after dropping the dog to it's next transporter, we'd find a restaurant and eat, and then go back. Most of the time, it was 1 or 2 hours max.

Start with the origination point, and map the miles/hours. I would utilize an actual atlas as opposed to online mapping systems like yahoo or whatever. Sometimes, they make things more difficult than they are. Think of it like going on vacation--and in fact, if you have a AAA near you, they'll help you map it quite nicely, and you can then pick out stopping points along the way (usually more widely known cities, with a populated exit and entrance ramp to an expressway). We always met one transport at the Wendy's off Man O War Road in Lexington. They were coming from Somerset or Tennessee...

Please start with your rescue and they'll be able to help, I'm sure of it.
Go to Top of Page

idsweetie72
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Sandra
New Meadows idaho
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  08:22:41 AM  Show Profile
FebViolet- thank you for your advice- when I get back to Idaho I'm going to go to McPaws- our local shelter- to see how they can work with me on a transport/rescue
Belle- of course there are shelters in Idaho- the research that I have done though leads me believe that there is a greater amount of high kill/gassing shelters in the east than in the west- hence a greater need for immediate rescues in the east than in the west- did you know that some of the shelters are so overcrowded that they gas on a name basis? One such shelter- on Monday gassed ALL the animals- cats and dogs- whose name began with A-D-, (why they name them then kill them I don't know)- so these innocent souls dies because they were unlucky enough to have those names-
I haven't found a shelter in Idaho that doea that- I'm not saying that there isn't one- I just haven't found it- now- if I DO discover one then I will be rescuing from THAT shelter. All I'm trying to do is give a couple of souls forever homes-

Mazy Day Farm
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  08:40:16 AM  Show Profile
What Sandra says is true--there are a great amount of gas shelters in the south and east. It's really a shame. Here, in Kentucky, they just passed a law 2 years ago outlawing shooting them with guns to "euthanize". We rank 48th in animal rights laws...classy!

Good luck, Sandra, and keep me in mind for a leg if it works out coming my way :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  11:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sandra- If the logistics from back east get to be too much, I believe the Pullman, WA shelter is a kill shelter and I know for sure that the Spokane, WA one is as well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Apr 17 2009 11:37:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  11:52:55 AM  Show Profile
There's a bunch of different links listed here...perhaps one of them could lead you to some resources...

http://www.adoptarescuepet.org/transport.htm

Good luck!!! If I lived along the route I'd lend a hand...

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic transport for rescue dog/pups Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page