southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  4:42:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone, I saw an article on Dorking chickens. These people just raved over the breed. They were homesteaders. I have never heard of that breed before. Have any of you owned that breed before, if so, would you recommend that breed??

BE HAPPY!!!

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  12:09:56 PM  Show Profile
That's one breed I've never had but have always wanted to try my hand at raising too. They seem a little hard to find. I know they are a VERY OLD breed. I really like the birds with a "History." I've raised several different breeds of chickens over the years and have discovered why SOME of them are on the "Seriously Endangered" list!!! (they are TERRIBLE birds!!!) If you find a source that offers them, let me know. I'd like to get a couple of birds too!!! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  12:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tracy, I will let you know. There is a guy about 30 miles away that he says he has Dorking chicks, now. It is still well below freezing at night right now. I think I will wait until early Spring

BE HAPPY!!!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  2:03:53 PM  Show Profile
It's tough to Brood chicks in the Winter. If their light goes out just ONCE-- you can lose the whole batch in a single night. VERY frustrating. And very EXPENSIVE too!!! How well I know that..... sigh......

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  6:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
I just ordered Dorkings from www.idealpoultry.com they area hatchery here is Texas but ship anywhere go give them a try!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  11:35:15 AM  Show Profile
Jessica, Please keep me updated on your new chicks. If all goes well with your order, I will place an order also.

BE HAPPY!!!
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  07:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
I will! They should arrive March 25th, I'll let you know how it goes!! Their website is pretty cool and very informative.

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  10:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Jessica, how are your chicks? I was reading about Dorkings recently and am thinking of getting a few.

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2009 :  11:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
The Dorkings are so pretty! I have 2 of them. I think they must've hatched from differnt times because one has feathered out fast and bigger than all the others and the other Dorking is the smallest and has the less feathers of them all. But the "older" one is Dorthy and is the sweetest girl...she will be my favorite! She comes right to me when I put my hand in the brooder and has begun to fly to me when I leave the lid off! So sweet! I got the 2 Dorkings, 3 Wyndotte girls 1 rooster, 3 Sicilian Buttercups. I have been very happy with the condition and quality of shipping and the chicks! Totally recomend Ideal Poultry to mail order from!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dorking Chickens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page