TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  6:21:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi farmgirls...I could use some advice. On our new place, the previous owner used landscape timbers to build a split rail fence (well a pseudo split rail)in the early 80's. I am interest in recyling as always but I am concerned about using the pressure treated wood in my garden. I need to build lots of raised planters. I know that pressure treated wood can contain all sorts of nasty stuff (arsnic). My question is: Do you think that sitting in the hot Texas sun for 20 years could have "bleached" the harmful chemicals away? I am trying to establish everything the green way - is it better to recycle or start over?

Any suggestions?

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2006 :  9:19:39 PM  Show Profile
I don't know for sure but would think that if the wood is that old it would be okay. You may try checking with your local lumber yard or ask the Master gardener through your county extension office.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  08:19:43 AM  Show Profile
I would treat it as toxic waste and call someone qualified to haul it away!
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  7:24:12 PM  Show Profile
I wouldn't know for sure but if it's that old I would say it's safe to use. If you still want to recycle them maybe use them for flower beds instead of veggies? Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  7:37:59 PM  Show Profile
I would say that after 20 years they are probably safe. I don't blame you for wanting to recycle lumber. Its very costly. On the bright side, most places sell non-toxic lumber now.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2006 :  8:55:23 PM  Show Profile
I would check with a lumber yard but my guess is it is still full of arsenic. I agree with Eileen's suggestion. Even if I thought it might be ok I would not use anything that had been pressure treated in my garden.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

almostidaho
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Tami
Richmond Utah
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  4:52:19 PM  Show Profile
Arsenic is a heavy metal, and once it's there, it's there (and that includes your very own fat cells). It does leach out of wood since wood is porous. It then will sit in the surrounding soil until taken up by plants. So you NEVER want to use arsenic-treated lumber in or adjacent to areas where you grow food.

I believe the EPA banned the retail sale (you can still buy it for industrial/farm applications - I did last summer) mostly because of arsenic's serious effects on children. Kids love to play in dirt, so they're very much at risk, as are your pets.

If you want to use it, say, for deck joists, make sure you put a tarp down under it to catch all sawdust and dispose of it properly in your garbage. And wear a mask and wash your hands immediately after handling it.

Using this old wood may save you a couple of bucks but give you lifelong health problems you would regret. Be careful.

Tami
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2006 :  6:41:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the advice - we have decided not to use the wood at all--better safe than sorry!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Pressure Treated Wood?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page