Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  08:14:28 AM  Show Profile
I am making Easter dinner at my house, I have cooked many hams in my life but this time I picked one up that said hardwood smoked ham. ready to cook.. I thought if it was smoked you only needed to heat it up. I planned on heating it in hot water to take out the salty taste then keep it warm in a roasting pan with brown sugar,pineapple& cherries. Do I really have to cook it? It's 10#s. What would you do??

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  08:28:56 AM  Show Profile
Fresh hams and hams that have only been partially cooked must be fully cooked to 145-150°F internal temperature so that they achieve a final resting temperature of 155-160°F before serving. Look for the phrase "ready to cook" or "cook before eating" on the label. Not all smoked hams are fully cooked. Sounds like the one you bought wasnt.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  08:29:57 AM  Show Profile
I found this on the web, might be helpful...

Uncooked and partially-cooked hams must be cooked prior to eating. Be sure and check the label to determine which type you have. Fully cooked hams need not be heated before serving.

Ham can be baked, broiled, sauteed, grilled or simmered. If the ham is too salty for your tastes, you can wash it down and then soak up to 24 hours before cooking to remove some of the salt. You'll find specific instructions for removing the mold and preparing country-cured hams here.

To bake uncooked ham, remove any skin, trimming to 1/4-inch of fat. Let ham stand at room temperature for 1-1/2 to 2 hours before cooking. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place ham on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, fat side up or cut side down. Bake until thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Let rest 15 to 20 minutes before carving.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  4:25:27 PM  Show Profile
Julie, Thanks for your reply. I soaked my ham over night then boiled it until it at 160 degrees then I but it in the oven with pineapple and cherries and I have no left over ham. It was great.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  5:15:56 PM  Show Profile
Great ! Glad it worked out for you! We had ham too. It is just my hubby and me and we waited to buy our ham and all they had left was an 8.5 pound ham!!!! We will be eating ham for weeks! WE are having ham and biscuits tomorrow night, ham and asparagus quiche on wednesday, ham and pineapple pizza on thursday and ham sandwiches on friday. I have frozen all the rest of it for use in beans and to have for breakfast.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

gentlewoman farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Judy
Bakersfield Ca
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  12:57:04 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried adding ham to maccaroni and cheese, or scalloped potatos? This takes a side dish and turns it into a main dish. I grew up with these dishes.

Be good to yourself and be good to this earth.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Before I kill my family Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page