Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Place for books Next Topic  

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  11:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
THIS IS THE ONE thing that we struggle with in our house. Me not as much as my mum. We love to read. I'm more a reader with a purpose than just for fun. I like books that I learn from and learn to do things. I have my music books that I use to reference and teach from, music books for performing, and the books that are for fun. Mum has a bazillion. My question is this still is boggling me. In the living room there is 1 old bookcase that is a lawyer case (thats not the right name but something like that) its an antique. I still want to move it but havent found a home for it yet. Secondly a bookcase behind the door in my "office area" I have tackled it and only the top shelf are books everything else has baskets for office supplies, doodads, and things to go in a purse at the last minute. We have 2 filing cabinets in the "playroom" aka junk room and a built in wall book case there.......issue with that is that there is A MISHMASH of stuff there. Music books, performing books, book books, vhs', a few doodads, etc. The filing cabinets are filled to the brim with music. We have quite the music library that will NOT get given away because it's so great when we have to play for something. In the basement there is a built in bookcase with CRAP.....Old books that will not be given away and craft stuff that I'm wittling down to a bin full:) There is a bookcase that has no shelves but old nancy drew etc books arranged badly.

Ok now that the mad description was given ladies PLEASE help me make sense of this.

As I type I think I found a home for the bookcase :)

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  08:03:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure what the problem is. Is it that you have too many books and not enough shelves, or is it that you want the books to be ordered differently?

Your built-in bookcases sound great! In my house, we've got a hodgepodge of mismatched cheap shelving units, which is not space efficient. We could fit so many more books on those walls!

If possible, it's always good to keep books arranged by subject or theme. Like, I've got two bookcases in our upstairs hallway that are nothing but children's books (of course, I've also got two more cases of children's books in another room because there isn't space for all of them in one location - but I'm trying to keep separate the books that were actually my own from my childhood vs. the ones I've just collected).

Does this help at all, or does it just make you feel better about your situation 'cause I've got just as much of a mishmash? ;)
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Place for books Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page