Brownie Lady
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  7:33:23 PM  Show Profile
One of the reasons that I shop at Trader Joe's is no middle man. Not to mention great prices and healthy food, even that which is in boxes. For a quick and healthy dinner I can buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts, a jar of something to cook them in, a box of whole wheat cous cous (to serve them on) and a bag of mixed veggies and feed the 5 of us for between $2-$3 each.

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlermom
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Melissa
Logan AL
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  4:13:30 PM  Show Profile
I have loved reading all these great ideas! I feel like I do alot to save, but I'm going to try some of this. I've always wanted to try my own laundry soap!

Since we homeschool, we have a ton of paper to throw away. I started tearing them up and putting it in the chicken coop. Just regular paper, not glossy or colored paper. They don't eat it, just scratch it into the sawdust!

Edited by - Fiddlermom on Dec 15 2009 4:26:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  4:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
Have a cross cutter paper shredder which allows me to shred paper and I use it all for a variety of things. From paper mache projects, to packing delicate items for shipping or storing tree ornaments. And the chicken have nests where I mix the paper in with the straw. Am going to try mixing some with wall plaster to see what a small wall (test room) looks like when it dries. Am looking for a adobe look. Am used to mixing straw with the plaster and liked the look.

~Beth~

~MotherLodebeth- I was born in the wrong era~
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  08:21:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey Beth,
just curious, what are the other homestead magazines that you subscribe too?

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  2:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by nouveau_farmchick

Hey Beth,
just curious, what are the other homestead magazines that you subscribe too?

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167

Backwoods Home, Back Home, Hobby Farms, Countryside & Small Stock Journal, and one goat and one chicken magazine. I literally live more like a Tasha Tudor/Beatrix Potter type and am honest to say I was born in the wrong era. Living a simple cottage, critter lifestyle is how we have always lived.

Monday is the winter Solstice and we are having a big bon fire and BBQ here in the Sierras where we live and everyone will bring their guitars, flutes, Irish harps etc and we will sing holiday songs and celebrate like one would have done in the 1800's around here.

~Beth~

Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  4:33:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm a Tasha Tudor fan! I even have my own herd of Corgi's! I have collected Tasha's books for years and have a lovely reply to a letter that I sent, 20 some years ago to her.
We had a family bon fire on Sat. for our Christmas tree hunt. We roast chestnuts first to warm our pockets while we hunt for perfect trees on the 80 acres where I grew up. We took along 3 of our Corgi puppies this year (10 weeks old). After we found the trees we came back to the bon fire to roast brawtworst for lunch. I had made up a batch of German Potatoe salad and it was warming up in the Dutch oven on the fire as well.
I enjoy those magazines too. I am going to write to Hobby Farm mag. to see if they want an article on how I transformed one of my green houses into a Grade A. Dairy Raw Cheese Processing Plant. My fav. magazine is the old 1950-70's Organic Gardening Magazines. I find them on Ebay and garage sales.
Enjoy your celebration,wish I could hear a bit of that lovely toe tapping music!
Season's joy to you and yours!

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  5:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
quote:

I'm a Tasha Tudor fan! I even have my own herd of Corgi's! I have collected Tasha's books for years and have a lovely reply to a letter that I sent, 20 some years ago to her.
We had a family bon fire on Sat. for our Christmas tree hunt. We roast chestnuts first to warm our pockets while we hunt for perfect trees on the 80 acres where I grew up. We took along 3 of our Corgi puppies this year (10 weeks old). After we found the trees we came back to the bon fire to roast brawtworst for lunch. I had made up a batch of German Potatoe salad and it was warming up in the Dutch oven on the fire as well.
I enjoy those magazines too. I am going to write to Hobby Farm mag. to see if they want an article on how I transformed one of my green houses into a Grade A. Dairy Raw Cheese Processing Plant. My fav. magazine is the old 1950-70's Organic Gardening Magazines. I find them on Ebay and garage sales.
Enjoy your celebration,wish I could hear a bit of that lovely toe tapping music!
Season's joy to you and yours!

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167

Golly gee wilikers another Tasha fan. I have a couple of her prints she signed for me. Tuesday the 22nd I have a wee bit of tea and homemade short bread cookies and think of Beatrix Potter who died on the 22nd in 1943. As daft as it sounds, sometimes I wonder if some part of me wasn't born with some part of her, two years later on December 29th. All I know is I look like her and dress like her in many ways. And love chickens and sheep and goats. And she had such a healthy attitude about animals. She loved to draw them but also knew they were food. So she didn't have some romantic idea about animals. Even use a walking stick much like the one she used. Although friends say I quote Anne Shirley from Anne Of Green Gables more. Oh and I adore German Potato salad....
~Beth~

Edited by - MotherLodeBeth on Dec 17 2009 5:56:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  6:53:33 PM  Show Profile
ah Beth, we must be kindred spirits! I have a walking stick that I've had since I was about 9, I won a contest with it when I dressed up like Little Bow Peep....I do love chickens, we have a French breed of Sheep that is hair not wool, and we have goats as well. Please, feel free to check out my web site:fairaviewfarm.com.
Isn't good to find people of like minds, good synergy.
As for Anne Shirley.... ahhhhhhh one of my corgi's is named Gilbert Blye

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  6:56:25 PM  Show Profile
which prints do you have? I have the one with one of her girls maybe Beckie,a corgi, and chickens.

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  7:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
quote:

which prints do you have? I have the one with one of her girls maybe Beckie,a corgi, and chickens.

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167

One is from the 1970s and is of a German Christmas, one is from much earlier and is a delicate heart shaped painting with spring flowers. Both measure around 10X12

Oh and I LOVE the newest book, Louisa May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women by Harriet Reisen. My great grandma in Maine knew her around 1876 thereabouts. Did you know she ran alot like women runners do these days and that she was a real Yankee and didnt care if people saw her bloomers? That makes me laugh so dang hard!

~Beth~

Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  8:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
quote:

ah Beth, we must be kindred spirits! I have a walking stick that I've had since I was about 9, I won a contest with it when I dressed up like Little Bow Peep....I do love chickens, we have a French breed of Sheep that is hair not wool, and we have goats as well. Please, feel free to check out my web site:fairaviewfarm.com.
Isn't good to find people of like minds, good synergy.
As for Anne Shirley.... ahhhhhhh one of my corgi's is named Gilbert Blye

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167

LOVE your website and Sequim I know well as we used to dig razor clams in the area and used to backpack the Olympic mountain area. Split our time between Vashon Island and here in the Sierras growing up. Small world.

~Beth~

Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  06:06:42 AM  Show Profile
Running in bloomers, that is a hoot! Hurry for us wild women! mmmm razor clams, I think I have one pkg. left in the freezer. They are getting harder to find, really have to watch for the little holes in the sand and the season is much shorter. Perhaps, it makes the catch even sweeter!
Hope you have a resplendent day!

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  06:25:16 AM  Show Profile
If you'd like to correspond to my email address, please feel free to. Perhaps, we could email pictures back and forth?

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  06:34:07 AM  Show Profile
I save $ by making fabric gift bags. I shop at thrift shops all year long and collect cute fabric scraps, then I just sew them into different size sacks, tie with ribbons and ad a gift tag (homemade of course).

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  10:03:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Brownie Lady

One of the reasons that I shop at Trader Joe's is no middle man. Not to mention great prices and healthy food, even that which is in boxes. For a quick and healthy dinner I can buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts, a jar of something to cook them in, a box of whole wheat cous cous (to serve them on) and a bag of mixed veggies and feed the 5 of us for between $2-$3 each.

Vanessa

I just started going to Trader Joe's. Really haven't explored all of it yet. Any hints on things to look for?

**Farmgirl Sister #622**

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2009 :  10:05:38 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by paradiseplantation

Don't laugh, but in addition to all these wonderful things, I also save my dimes and my dollar bills. I have a special piggy bank where I keep the dimes, and my dollars are in an enamelware coffee pot, where they 'percolate' until needed. I usually count them up at the first of the month, and then stash them in a strong box. At the end of the year, I either pay the homeowners taxes with it, or use it for something special, or for Christmas. We do our normal savings, when we can, but lately it seems like every spare penny has to be used just to keep a roof over our heads. So, when I had to dig into my stash the other day, I was really grateful I had it. I've decided to apply my thriftiness to Christmas next year, as well as take back some of the Christmas spirit that materialism has stolen from me. I do a lot of handmade gifts already, but next year will be the first year that EVERYTHING will be handmade, and most of that with things I already have. I have a budget of $50 for 10 people. Think I can pull this off? Cross your fingers for me!!!!!

from the hearts of paradise...

That is awesome. I save change in a jar, too. I spent too much this year for Christmas and I'll be making more things next year.

**Farmgirl Sister #622**

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2009 :  05:41:54 AM  Show Profile
I so appreciate all of these great ideas. I hate the fact that I am so wasteful in my daily life and hope to do much better this year. Thank you ladies for all your contributions.
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  9:12:47 PM  Show Profile
Just had to brag on the bargains I found at a Salvage type store not far from here. 400 count king size sheets w/pillow cases $13.50. Whole chicken fifty cents a pound-had to buy a box of 12 but pried them apart(they are frozen) and they are now in the freezer. Starbucks whole bean coffee for $3.49 for 12 ounces (still in date) French Gray salt for sixty nine cents. Had a ball. It is one of those places you have to hunt through the junk and watch the dates, but boy can you save if you can find a place near you to shop at such a place. Good luck!!!

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  04:06:14 AM  Show Profile
This is my home-made laundry soap - been using it for years,
even years ago when i was doing baby diapers. Works great and even perfect for people with sensitive skin/allergies.

Finely grate one bar (4 1/2 oz Ivory or 5 1/2 oz Fels Naptha) of soap into a large bowl, using the finest side of the box grater. Add one cup each of Borax and Arm & Hammer Super Washing soda, mix thoroughly. One batch fits nicely into a quart size canning jar. Use 1-2 T per load of laundry, depending on the size of your washer and how dirty the clothes are. I always use white vinegar in the rinse cycle (1/4 - 1/2 C) to cut any leftover soap residue.

Now, I must confess that I made the last few batches in the food processor and I really am pleased with the final product. Just grate the soap (using the grating blade) then add the Borax and washing soda and whiz it all together using the regular knife blade. It has a really fine consistency like the store bought dry detergent and is really well combined. Someone suggested this method on one of the threads and I have been making it this way ever since. I can make 6 batches in no time at all so that I have plenty to share If you don't want to use an electric appliance, then just follow the above method, it works great too. Just grate your soap as finely as possible.

Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  04:18:56 AM  Show Profile
I know some don't like tv, but we do. We love watching all sorts of education, movies, etc. as a family. We already had a netflix account - base account is $10 p/month, we then bought a roku box ~$100 lets us watch all our netflix instant on our living room tv instead of computer and download upto 15,000 titles to it free. We watch lots of old tv like leave it to beaver, science shows, movies. No commercials, you can pause when you want and pickup later. We do this instead of cable or dish network. No monthly bill other than $10 month. We LOVE it and there is no silly contract or such.

Go to Top of Page

StitchHazel
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Kylie
Rome NY
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  8:30:15 PM  Show Profile
I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s posts!

It’s just my husband and I, but we are always looking for ways to stretch things. It is amazing how much we save just by decreasing our consumption of everyday items like shampoo and trash bags.

I use Amy Dacyzyn’s “Pantry Principle” (as described in the Tighwad Gazette books) so that I can shop the sales and loss-leaders and plan our meals from what we have in stock. It’s so much easier to fit into our schedule than trying to plan the week’s dinners around the circulars. And we can still take advantage of the sales! We also keep a price book so we can be sure the “best” price is really what is advertised.

We shop at thrift stores or discount stores for nearly everything we buy, except when our principles dictate otherwise (e.g. we usually buy our produce from local sources, even if it is more expensive. I feel we are getting a better deal in the long run!). A new Ollie’s Bargain Outlet just opened in a neighboring town; I was so excited when I found out that my husband just laughed.

My husband wears rubbers over his work shoes on rainy days. It was surprising how many fewer pairs of shoes he had gone through since he started doing it!

We usually walk or bike to work. It is an hour commute round trip (except for my husband, who has longer legs. :}).

I drive a ’97 automobile that I bought used and paid off two years ago, because I’d rather not have the payments or increased mandatory insurance that it would need if I were still paying on it. We also are very lucky to have a house with no mortgage, left to us by my husband’s parents. We thank our lucky stars every day. I pay the full amount on our insurance each coverage period to save a little extra.

Last night’s dinner usually becomes today’s lunch or part of tomorrow’s dinner. (Crock-pot pot roast makes great cheesesteak-style sandwiches!)

On the occasions we go out to eat, we usually split an entrée or use Entertainment Book-type coupons for our area, which are often BOGO for entrees.

I make multiples of meals when I am preparing them so we won’t feel obligated to spend money on takeout dinner if we are running late.

I use the library to “test-drive” books; I usually find that I am happy reading them without buying them, but on occasion there are some terrific books that I end up buying used after reading them; usually reference books and books with recipes or patterns.

I consolidated my credit card debt several years ago, and haven’t gotten another credit card since. These days, I figure, anything worth having is worth saving for. :}

In my checkbook, I automatically round purchases up to the next $5 increment and save the difference. In the past two weeks (one of our stock-up periods), we saved over $200 just by doing that. It may not work for those for whom money is very tight, but it’s a very painless way to save for us. We also calculate our other cost savings on sales, coupons, and the like, and add that to savings at the end of the pay period. It's amazing how quickly it adds up.

Unfortunately, though I am learning to be handy, I am not quite there yet, so we have a really honest and reasonably-priced handyman that helps us with home repairs. He knows all sorts of fix-it trades, and doesn’t charge the crazy rates that some plumbers and electricians charge when you have to call them. Our house was built in the 40s, so he is a great help to us.

We’re planning a garden for this year, and I just started making many of our household cleaners. I’m fortunate that my husband is naturally frugal; it is so much harder to convert a spendthrift! :D

Some other great ways to save:

I work at an historic theater that does lots of classic movies and live stage shows. Our volunteers are allowed to watch the show for free once their work is done. If you’re still craving entertainment on a budget, that may be a good way to go. Most communities have an organization that does the same.

Be friendly with lots of people! :D We count among our good friends a used book store owner, a pastry shop owner, and a man who runs an Italian restaurant. They are always offering us things for low or no cost. The opportunities for bartering also increase this way; another good friend of mine who runs a natural foods store recently traded groceries for a couch.

I can’t really think of any more right now, but thriftiness is always a work in progress! :]

P.S. I’m sorry to hear about your house, Sarapauline. I’ll be keeping you in my thoughts during this trying time.

Beth and Pennie, I love Tasha Tudor, too :}! Her books and life are so inspiring. It's nice to find other fans and kindred spirits, but I shouldn't be surprised that I found them on the Farmgirl Connection! :D

"It's wonderful what we can do when we're always doing." -George Washington
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  08:12:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kylie,
enjoyed your post too! I think the Tightwad Gazz. is one of the very few books in my library that I read over and over again (along with MaryJanes Idea book). I wish my Husband was naturally frugal, mine loves POWER tools, we joke that he has 3 of EVERY THING!
Do you have Carla Emery's book? I like her style (much like yours) for menu planning, go through the panty,freezer,and root cellar (if you have one) first,and choose what needs to be used up right away (to avoid spoilage).For me, if I remember to plan one day ahead what the next dinner will be I'm in good shape. I do love to shop only every two weeks. I think that I save tons by not shopping more often, saves also on my time. When our cow is freshened we have milk and all the other good dairy products.
We grow tons of food, so I can cut down on trips to the grocery store even more than. I do need to make more homemade food like Tasha Tudor for our own resident herd of Welsh Corgi's (right now we have 5).

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167
Go to Top of Page

StitchHazel
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Kylie
Rome NY
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  9:57:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Pennie,

I don't have Ms. Emery's book-what is the title? I think I would enjoy it. I just started looking on the Cindy's Porch website a few days ago, and her in-house inventory lists are much less complicated that mine! haha :D I tried them this weekend, and like them so far. I added a "how many?" column to help me use some things up that I tend to stock up on without thinking.

Your Corgis must be a happy bunch with homemade food :}! We have four cats (all boys, but they get along very well!) I may have to contact you for gardening tips; we are trying out first one this year. The snow just went away for the most part as old man winter gave up the ghost a little early this year; I am very excited to start digging in the dirt :}

Kylie

Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  07:29:45 AM  Show Profile
Carla Emery the Enclyopedia of country living. Must have book for us country gals! I didn't know about Cindy's Porch, thank you.

The Small Town Living web site is another web spot to check out, they did a really nice article on our farm if you'd like to check it out http://stliving.com/?p=141

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167
Go to Top of Page

StitchHazel
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Kylie
Rome NY
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  09:01:55 AM  Show Profile
What a nice article about your farm! Your cheeses sound wonderful, they make me wish we lived closer to Fairaview Farm :D

Thanks for letting me know about those resources :}

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How does your Family save? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page